SASS Wire Forum

LAPD question

Alpo

New York police have precincts.

What does LA have?

Curious whether they dreamed that "division" term up for the show, or if LA really separate their police force into numbered divisions.

IMG_20200524_215949.jpg

From Wikipedia. 

Office of Operations[edit]

220px-LAPD_HQ_Flags.jpg

The New Police Administration Building opened in 2009.

The majority of the LAPD's approximately 10,000[2] officers are assigned within the Office of Operations, whose primary office is located in the new Police Administration Building.[21] Headed by an Assistant Chief, currently Assistant Chief Robert Arcos,[22] and the Assistant to the Director, who is a Commander, the office comprises four bureaus and 21 police stations, known officially as "areas" but also commonly referred to as "divisions". The Office of Operations also has a dedicated Homeless Coordinator reporting directly to the Assistant Chief. The Community Engagement Group also reports to the Assistant Chief.[4]

The 21 police stations or "divisions" are grouped geographically into four command areas, each known as a "bureau".[23] The latest areas, "Olympic" and "Topanga", were added on January 4, 2009.[2

I wonder what the Annual Budget dollar figure is for the entire, all-inclusive, LAPD, and if salaries and benefits, the police training “academy,” and any other training elements are part of that budget number?

Cat Brules

On K.C.MO.P.D. the term is Zone. North, Central, East, South Central, and South Zones. Also assigned Zone radio numbers within each district in the Zone. To explain that in East Zone there are 3 districts. Radio numbers are the 310 district, 320, and 330. All comprised of the 300 series radio numbers. In each of those districts 5 patrol cars which would have radio numbers such as 320 (Sgt) then officers 321, 322, 323, 324, and 325 along with a wagon which carried the number 329.

Now tac squads along with administrative units have all kinds of radio numbers. For 20+ years as a detective I had radio 775 also know as Detective Death. (If they weren't dead, don't call me)

LA County does everything by “Division”. Police, Transit, Utilities, etc. all use “division” as part of their location names. 

As a verb LA County wields “division” in another way but I am going to stay away from politics today. 

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

LA County does everything by “Division”. Police, Transit, Utilities, etc. all use “division” as part of their location names. 

As a verb LA County wields “division” in another way but I am going to stay away from politics today. 

To add to the 'fog'.....

LASD uses the term 'station' such as 'Palmdale Station'(PMD-26).

OLG 

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

To add to the 'fog'.....

LASD uses the term 'station' such as 'Palmdale Station'(PMD-26).

OLG 

I thought so, wasn’t sure, so I left it out. 

7 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

On K.C.MO.P.D. the term is Zone. North, Central, East, South Central, and South Zones. Also assigned Zone radio numbers within each district in the Zone. To explain that in East Zone there are 3 districts. Radio numbers are the 310 district, 320, and 330. All comprised of the 300 series radio numbers. In each of those districts 5 patrol cars which would have radio numbers such as 320 (Sgt) then officers 321, 322, 323, 324, and 325 along with a wagon which carried the number 329.

Now tac squads along with administrative units have all kinds of radio numbers. For 20+ years as a detective I had radio 775 also know as Detective Death. (If they weren't dead, don't call me)

Our radio callsigns were also based on geography.  We had seven divisions -- four patrol divisions (geographic regions of the city), and three others.  The others were "central," which included SWAT, K9, motors, the academy, communications, etc.; "investigations," which included homicide, sex crimes, property crimes units, etc. The last division was "Vice, Narcotics, and Intelligence," the undercovers.  They were large enough to need a whole division.  

Of the four patrol divisions, a radio call sign identified the division with the first number.  The second digit identified the type of patrol unit -- single officer, two-officer, special assignment, traffic, etc.  The third digit identified the sector within the division to which the unit was assigned.  The fourth digit identified the shift; because we had five 10-hour shifts within each 24-hour day, the shifts overlapped and we had more than one cop assigned to a sector.  So there was a need to delineate between them.  

Example:  3A18 is assigned to the Sand Creek division (southeast), one-officer car, sector 1, midnight shift.  That was my call sign the night my friend was murdered, 4 DEC 06.  Police use a different phonetic alphabet than the military, so this would be "Three Adam Eighteen."  Swing shift was on still the street when I went to work, so I worked with 3A15:  Sand Creek division, one-officer unit, sector 1, swing shift.  

3T04 is the Sand Creek division (southeast), DUI unit (which is traffic), no sector because it's a division asset, fourth officer in the DUI unit (not a regular patrol shift).  This was my permanent callsign in the DUI unit.  "Three Tom Four."

I spent three years as 5A75:  Stetson Hills division (northeast), one-officer unit, sector 7, swing shift.  "Five Adam Seventy-five." 

We were significantly undermanned, so rarely did we ever get a two-officer unit.  If we did, the "A" changed to "B."  I was one-half of 3B88 the night we caught three armed robbers fleeing the scene. Sand Creek division (southeast), two-officer unit, sector 8, midnight shift.   "Three Baker Eighty-eight."  

I worked a special gang task force once.  My whole job was to do "pro-active policing" (i.e. I'm not responding to radio calls; I'm hunting bad guys) and find gangs, drugs, and illegal guns.  I was 3S95 -- Sand Creek division (southeast), Special assignment, 95 to delineate me from other "S" units; we couldn't use the sector and shift for the last two digits because we weren't assigned to a sector and had our own shift.  "Three Sam Ninety-five."  

4A51 is the Falcon division (northwest), one officer car, sector 5, day shift.  This was my last assignment,  "Four Adam Fifty-One."  On my last day, they wanted to make sure I didn't get into any drama or get killed just before walking out, so they assigned me to sector 1.  Sector 1 of the Falcon division is where all the rich people live, and nothing ever happens there.  Because we are so undermanned, the sector almost never has a cop assigned to it.  So I was 4A11:  Falcon division, one-officer unit, sector 1, day shift.  Happy retirement sector!

If the linked wiki article is correct they only have 21 divisions, so the sign showing them leaving Division 28 was most likely faked for the show.

But then both Barney Miller and Castle worked out of the 12th precinct, and the NYPD does not have a 12th precinct.  https://foursquare.com/mrsecano/list/all-nypds-precincts

Several numbers get skipped. 1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 13...

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If the linked wiki article is correct they only have 21 divisions, so the sign showing them leaving Division 28 was most likely faked for the show.

But then both Barney Miller and Castle worked out of the 12th precinct, and the NYPD does not have a 12th precinct.  https://foursquare.com/mrsecano/list/all-nypds-precincts

Several numbers get skipped. 1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 13...

Blue Blood’s Jamie Raegan originally worked in the 12.  Must be like 555 phone numbers.

Archived