SASS Wire Forum

The Best Gun I Never Bought

I had problems with mine until I though about just using inertia and cartridge weight to help it reset behind the Stop.  I found out that if I just let the rifle slightly loose in the shoulder then the kick of firing moves rifle back but the Bullets don't and thus resetting them on the stop.  Yes I know this is not normal to not keep it against the shoulder tight but I have tried it tight and I have the jamming problems due to the Mag tube allowing the next round to jump over the stop.  and Now I have tried it through about 50 different styles of ammo loose with Zero Problems.  Not one.  With No modifications.    Just food for thought until people can get this tube mode all done.  Maybe a Thick Padded Shoulder pad would do the trick or a Spring buttstock.  There may be other issues at play but I stumbled onto this for the Jumping the stop problem.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, Tom Bullweed said:

Glock - I finally bought and sold one last year.  Held for the first time in 1985.  Shot one for the first time in lates 1980s.  Strange grip angle.  Never felt safe.

I’ve always had to modify the grip on them , I get glock knuckle and I get slide bite bad . But like it or not they are extremely reliable and kinda the modern 1911 right now . More after market support out there for them than just about anything but a 1911 . There are a few companies out there making frames now I find much more to my liking . Now you can have a glock that doesn’t have one glock part in it . 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

I was issued an AR15 twice and had no love for it. I also have no love for the Colt Python either they are over priced junk

I had a Python and an S&W Model 19.  The 19 was better (IMHO) than the Colt.

On 5/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Many guns that people really like do nothing for me. 

AK-47 - Made for little people. Awkward for me. The controls absolutely suck. Bought one and got rid of it soon after. 

GUNS I TRIED BUT DID NOT BUY...Thank Goodness. 

Ruger Mini 14 - What a disappointment. Does not fit me at all. Does nothing for me. 

CZ 75 - What a disappointment. Controls need 2 hands and I have big long hands.

Browning Hi-Power - Another big disappointment...Hammer bite and all.

Colt SAA - Never understood the attraction. Too much money for what it is. Please don’t try and convince me it’s better. It’s not. Be happy with yours, I’ll pass, thank you...more for you, right? 

I like the CZ85 it has ambi controls the CZ75 doesn't.  It has the same great ergonomics of the 1911 in a SA/DA pistol.  Col. Cooper spoke highly of the CZ75 which at the time he had to get from Canada.

The misses bought a 9mm Cobra derringer.  She & I wish she hadn't.  One shot & she handed it to me.  I sent 6 downrange before the pain stopped me.  Another of her purchases that she shot one time, firing less than 25 rounds was what is now my boot gun, a tiny (13 oz Taurus 380).  She didn't mind the stout recoil; however, it was a jam-o-matic.  I took it as a challenge to figure out why & fix it.  After some chamfering  & polishing it is very reliable.  The bad ergonomics are I can barely get two fingers on the grip & it is best shot one handed.  If you try to wrap your off hand around your strong hand the slide will gouge a big chunk of flesh out of your off hand thumb.  Been there done that!!

I love A2 & latter versions of AR's.  I own five, three 223, 5.56* & 223 Wyle; one 300BO & one 308.

*Brownells BRN-180 upper.  Every one has an illuminated optic on it; because, my 73 year old eyes can't pick-up small targets beyond 50 yards in low light.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I had a Python and an S&W Model 19.  The 19 was better (IMHO) than the Colt.

The Python is long gone I still have the Model 19

The best gun I never bought - literally - was a Winchester 21.  There was one at the San Francisco Gun Exchange priced at only about three hundred bucks, as I recall...  but the screw-in chokes were all the rage at the time and it's chokes were fixed.

I didn't care; but I just couldn't justify spending the money then.  Of course, I wish like hell I had!

The second best gun I never bought was a rifle.  One afternoon when I was in my mid 20's (maybe '75 or '76 or so), I walked into the old Stan's Sporting Goods in Serramonte Shopping Center in Daly City.  The gentleman behind the gun counter looked and recognized me; he grinned and said "Hey, Rod!  Gimme a minute to finish up here - I got somethin' for you!"

A short time later he winked and walked into the back room and came out with a gun case, which he laid out on the countertop.

"I know this lady whose husband passed recently, and she asked me to sell this for her.  She just wants to get rid of it... and I wanted to give you first crack at it!"

He opened the case, then handed me a gorgeous Browning .458 Winchester Magnum built on a Mauser action.  In the case was the original box of shells, with five expended.

"A hunnert and fifty bucks and it's yours!" he said with a grin.

Oooo, I was sooo tempted...  :rolleyes:   But I passed.  :(

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The best gun I never bought - literally - was a Winchester 21.  There was one at the San Francisco Gun Exchange priced at only about three hundred bucks, as I recall...  but the screw-in chokes were all the rage at the time and it's chokes were fixed.

I didn't care; but I just couldn't justify spending the money then.  Of course, I wish like hell I had!

The second best gun I never bought was a rifle.  One afternoon when I was in my mid 20's (maybe '75 or '76 or so), I walked into the old Stan's Sporting Goods in Serramonte Shopping Center in Daly City.  The gentleman behind the gun counter looked and recognized me; he grinned and said "Hey, Rod!  Gimme a minute to finish up here - I got somethin' for you!"

A short time later he winked and walked into the back room and came out with a gun case, which he laid out on the countertop.

"I know this lady whose husband passed recently, and she asked me to sell this for her.  She just wants to get rid of it... and I wanted to give you first crack at it!"

He opened the case, then handed me a gorgeous Browning .458 Winchester Magnum built on a Mauser action.  In the case was the original box of shells, with five expended.

"A hunnert and fifty bucks and it's yours!" he said with a grin.

Oooo, I was sooo tempted...  :rolleyes:   But I passed.  :(

Is SFGE still in business ? I used to work at a gunsmithing shop that did allot of work for them . I built quite a few custom 1911’s for them 

They must have been a busy store in the 80’s and 90’s because they sent us a ton of business

Archived