SASS Wire Forum

The Best Gun I Never Bought

You ever have someone really talk a gun up? Then you shot it, and couldn't wait to give it back/get rid of it?

I had a friend try to sell me an HK VP70Z back in the 80's. Bragged it held 18 rounds.

Let me borrow it to try out.

If the trigger pull was not 30 pounds, it was darn close. Grip was not comfortable.

As for grouping, I have done better with No. 4 buckshot.

I don't think I even got through the highly vaunted 18 round magazine.

Returned it clean, with a polite smile and "No thank you."

And you???

Savage .22/.410 over and under.

Except I bought it.

Sold it.

Quickly.

Cheap.

50 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Savage .22/.410 over and under.

Except I bought it.

Sold it.

Quickly.

Cheap.

Bet you regret that sale, if you look see the price they get now     Silly money      GW

Many guns that people really like do nothing for me. 

AK-47 - Made for little people. Awkward for me. The controls absolutely suck. Bought one and got rid of it soon after. 

GUNS I TRIED BUT DID NOT BUY...Thank Goodness. 

Ruger Mini 14 - What a disappointment. Does not fit me at all. Does nothing for me. 

CZ 75 - What a disappointment. Controls need 2 hands and I have big long hands.

Browning Hi-Power - Another big disappointment...Hammer bite and all.

Colt SAA - Never understood the attraction. Too much money for what it is. Please don’t try and convince me it’s better. It’s not. Be happy with yours, I’ll pass, thank you...more for you, right? 

32 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Colt SAA - Never understood the attraction. Too much money for what it is. Please don’t try and convince me it’s better. It’s not. Be happy with yours, I’ll pass, thank you...more for you, right? 

Be thankful I’m not a moderator because I would institute a lifetime ban for uttering such nonsense. 

53 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Be thankful I’m not a moderator because I would institute a lifetime ban for uttering such nonsense. 

I'm on Pats side of the fence so I'm happy your not a moderator.  Ruger Red hawks poor grip design.  An outfit call Wheeler I believe produced a modified Ruger in 45/70 all of it was poorly designed.  Any Double action semi-auto pistol an answer to a question that should have never been asked.   

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

And I would tell you to shove it. :D

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

I'm on Pats side of the fence so I'm happy your not a moderator.  Ruger Red hawks poor grip design.  An outfit call Wheeler I believe produced a modified Ruger in 45/70 all of it was poorly designed.  Any Double action semi-auto pistol an answer to a question that should have never been asked.   

Pretty sure he was talking about a Colt single action, not a double action. 

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And I would tell you to shove it. :D

And I would, but an old man like you is one shove away from a broken hip

16 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Pretty sure he was talking about a Colt single action, not a double action. 

Yeah, I meant up your arse...but I said it with a smile. 

You’re upset because I insulted a brand of gun? :blink:

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, I meant up your arse...but I said it with a smile. 

You’re upset because I insulted a brand of gun? :blink:

Not at all. The more people that think like you, the less buyers to compete with for me ;)

8 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Not at all. The more people that think like you, the less buyers to compete with for me ;)

:lol: that’s what I said ... “more for you, right?” 

I was issued an AR15 twice and had no love for it. I also have no love for the Colt Python either they are over priced junk

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

AK-47 - Made for little people. Awkward for me. The controls absolutely suck. Bought one and got rid of it soon after. 

14 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I was issued an AR15 twice and had no love for it.

I have both. I like the AK more. I can see the rear sight since it is so far forward, and the peep sight on the AR just does not work as well for me as a classic post and notch.

Someday I might try setting up an AR with AK style sights, but at 3 Gun next month... It will be cheap steel cases getting tossed out to my right side.

4 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Bet you regret that sale, if you look see the price they get now     Silly money      GW

Nope.

A firearm that won't shoot consistently or accurately, just doesn't do it for me.

Not at any price or look.

If it isn't accurate, to me, it's just an expensive paper-weight.

Off the top of my head without putting any thought into it....

I have never wanted a Ruger 10/22.

Or any other Ruger now that I put some thought into it.

I never came across a gun that I liked and didn’t buy, and then later, GLAD that I did not buy.  

There are several that I regretted NOT buying.  One example is an original Walker Colt percussion revolver in very good (I think) condition.  It did show its age, but it was not particularly pitted, rusted or too worn.  The seller wanted $1800 for it.  
I’m sorry I didn’t buy it.

Cat Brules

Ruger Red Label O/U...........

For a couple decades I lusted for a Red Label with screwchokes but raising a family, obligations and expenses always pushed the purchase further away each year. Then a few years ago while talking shotguns, a fellow Cowboy mentioned he had a new in the box Red Label that he hadn’t ever really shot and wanted to sell it and I could even take it for a test run. After a couple rounds of trap I knew that it wasn’t the O/U for me. My 22” barreled 97 Winchester performed better on the trap range! Red Labels are well built guns, but don’t fit me for nothin!  Ive gone with another O/U and am happy I did!

Glock - I finally bought and sold one last year.  Held for the first time in 1985.  Shot one for the first time in lates 1980s.  Strange grip angle.  Never felt safe.

One of my friends was at a gun show back in the mid-1990s when he saw an old man walking around carrying a rifle and a "for sale" sign pinned to his back.  He had spent all his money for the day, but figured if they struck a bargain he could visit an ATM (fairly new back then).  He struck up a conversation with the old man, and quickly realized he was selling a Volcanic Arms rifle.  

Whut.

The guy didn't even know what it was beyond an "old rifle," but figured "a gun this old oughta be worth about $100."  

My buddy couldn't say yes fast enough, but the guy wasn't willing for him to wait to go to an ATM at a nearby gas station.  Missed opportunity.

15 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Oh, by the way, I am not that old. You must have me confused with someone else. Making “old” jokes in this crowd is liable to get your butt strung up at a match one day. :D

I forgot one...probably more, but this one sprung to mind earlier. 

Kel-Tec P3AT:

I wanted a small .380 pocket gun so after talking with lots of folks and reading I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT. Modest painful gun I have ever fired. That thing bit and smacked my trigger finger with every pull of the trigger. I hated it and sold it for what I paid for it. 

Ruger LCP:

My coworkers and acquaintances at church convinced me to try the Ruger LCP in various forms, because “The Ruger is MUCH better than the Kel-Tec.”

Yeah, right. Hated that one too. Didn’t like the ergonomics and it was a little better than the Kel-Tec to shoot, but not much better. 

Luckily I never bought one before trying it out. 

9 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Ruger Red Label O/U...........

For a couple decades I lusted for a Red Label with screwchokes but raising a family, obligations and expenses always pushed the purchase further away each year. Then a few years ago while talking shotguns, a fellow Cowboy mentioned he had a new in the box Red Label that he hadn’t ever really shot and wanted to sell it and I could even take it for a test run. After a couple rounds of trap I knew that it wasn’t the O/U for me. My 22” barreled 97 Winchester performed better on the trap range! Red Labels are well built guns, but don’t fit me for nothin!  Ive gone with another O/U and am happy I did!

Bingo!  Same deal....it just doesn’t fit and I shot low on the prettiest pair of rooster pheasant busting out of a fence row.  Those two shots haunt me to this day! If I’d been carrying my old 16 ga 870 or the Browning Citori they would have been toast.   Yet I still have the Ruger!

Ruger Mini-14, hated that gun. Sold it to my neighbor and he wants to sell it back to me! :lol:

I'd rather have an AR15, which I'm still contemplating. I don't  know exactly which to get there's tons of of them!! 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh, by the way, I am not that old. You must have me confused with someone else. Making “old” jokes in this crowd is liable to get your butt strung up at a match one day. :D

I don’t make old jokes. I merely call out “internet tough guys” when I see them 

28 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I don’t make old jokes. I merely call out “internet tough guys” when I see them 

I am pretty sure there aren’t many “internet tough guys” here.

Howdy,

The Ruger Deerhunter .44 mag comes to mind.

I had one jam and it took a lot of sweat to get it cleared.

Then it jammed again.  I sold it to a fella who cant get it away from his son.

Other one was one of those floating .22 survival rifles.  POOR sights.

Who wants to try to survive with poor sights?

Now the Mini 14 CAN be a great rifle if one takes the time to get the right bullet.

You cant just use what someone else has luck with. And the extended mags are fussy too.

Once someone plays machine gunner and overheats the barrel or action it hurts accuracy.

The newer ones with a heavier barrel are better too.

Keltec little carry pistol was meant to be .32. 

Just changing to .380 pretty much ruined it for shooting much.

And these were meant to be carried much and shot little.  Same with Ruger LCP.

Shooting the .32 side by side with the .380 is interesting.

Different strokes......

Best

CR

4 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Glock - I finally bought and sold one last year.  Held for the first time in 1985.  Shot one for the first time in lates 1980s.  Strange grip angle.  Never felt safe.

Tom Bullweed, I think that is the biggest complaint that I have heard from people regarding Glocks. The grip angle just isn’t right for some folks. For me the angle works IF it’s the longer grip frame like the Glock 17 sized frame. The Glock 19 Gen 3 should be on my list above. I hated that thing. The hump was too high in my palm and the finger grooves drove me nuts. I sold it. 

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

... and the finger grooves drove me nuts.

I do not like any pistol with finger grips.

They're fine if they fit your hands, otherwise you have to compromise your grip.

I'm not a great fan of the SAA myself neither, though I really like my Old Model Vaquero with the Bisley (Ruger version) grip. So that's the single-action revolver for me. I also shoot the Uberti .44 Russki, and while the "ergonomics" are overall poor, I still love the pistola and can hit on the mark with it everytime if I go slow.

Any Glock ever. I’m so glad I didn’t fall for the hype back when everyone was saying they were the best thing ever made. I do sometimes wish I had one, but only on days when I’m working outside in high wind and can’t seem to find a more aesthetics pleasing rock for a paperweight. I think that only happened once so far and on a beach. 

Remington 1100 Special Skeet ,,, It truly was the worse patterning gun ever .... Each shot produced 3 clumps and lot's of holes that clay bird could fly through ....

Tried lots of different loads both factory and handloads nothing helped ...

Jabez Cowboy

AMT Backup .380

Complete garbage. Mine had a faulty safety you could overpower by pulling the trigger fairly hard. I got every dime back out of it cause the guy had to have one, and I told him about the safety.

Sig Sauer P320 TacOps.  Bought it, shot it.  Didn't like the mushy trigger, so I did the Apex flat trigger upgrade.  Still couldn't stand the mushy trigger pull.  Sold it at a loss, which is an absolutely rare thing for me.  

Any Glock.  I got one I keep because I bought it twice.  Once from a friend, and once after a friend bought it from me and sold it at a pawn shop, where I recognized it.  That said, I don't like the trigger pull, and I detest the "have to discharge it to disassemble it". 

Taurus Thunderbolt.  When they first came out, I eagerly anticipated getting this new whiz bang pump action rifle I could use in CAS.  It was the worst feeding gun I've ever owned.  It would regularly jam and I never figured out why.  After a year of working on it, and two trips back to customer service, I finally gave up.  It jammed on me on the first stage of a match, and between that stage and the next, I held it up and announced in a loud and not melodious voice that anyone who was willing to part ways with a $100 bill could have that fine tomato stake.  After a few minutes, someone took me up, and I celebrated thereafter.  

Archived