SASS Wire Forum

Buncombe NC

Cowpoke Chris

I am not sure if there will ever be another gunshow. Options for cowboy guns in my area are limited. Looking for gun stores that are a reasonable drive from Buncombe county NC that have cowboy guns. Rifles are what I am most interested in at the moment. Thanks.

If you know what you want, you may be better off buying one from a cowpoke ranch hand off this forum. That is what I did. 
I live in Hickory and don't recall seeing any around here. Don't think I have purchased anything from a gun story in 12 or 13 years.

Sportsmans warehouse recently (like in the past couple days)was having a sale on rossi 92s in 45colt.. I know they also sell ubertis, etc...and ship to the store for free..they also ship to FFLs...haunting the old pawn shops and back corners of old time (not tacticool oriented) gun shops can yield also.
I bought my first rifle from a gentleman who let me borrow it at my first shoot..seems most guys who have been in the game for awhile have safes full! LOL
Then I ordered a slicked up 1873 from a reputable smith in the SASS community.

Cowpoke, you can visit Taylor's Firearms in Alexandria, Va for a nice day trip.  They have a very wide selection.

I am near Greensboro and have bought from Taylor's, Cherrys (Greensboro) and on this forum.

Getting to a match is not a bad option.  You can try and buy from someone who is financing another project or culling the herd.

If I recall correctly I purchased my Marlin 1894CB 44-40, Marlin 1894C 357, Winchester 1887, and Uberti Winchester 73' from folks on this forum. All were like new and I would trust these guys more than I would a store. I purchased two Uberti Cattleman 357's and knew I had to work on them before I left the store. I ended up replacing the hammers on both due to timing issues. At the time I lived in south Georgia.

Sounds like a day trip to Alexandria would be your best bet. Down in Valdosta Georgia we had a Gander Mountain. I would go there often to just look at guns but their prices were out of this world.

Many times you can pay FFL on both ends of shipping and still get nice guns from these SASS guys. They have a reputation to keep.

I have bought a number of guns from guys on this site and only had one bad deal.  Didn't get the gun and the guy wouldn't return my cashier's check......not at all what I have come expect from Texans.  I guess there's a cull in every herd.  I wrote it off as loss.

Try Don Jones at http://www.codyscowboyshop.com

He is also an excellent gunsmith and guarantees his work.  Been doing business with him for 15 years. 

6 hours ago, Cowpoke Chris said:

Sportsman warehouse did have 3 92's on Saturday. Another store near has one that is stainless for a few bucks more. I may go that route. I really don't want to mail order a gun. Maybe someday.

I keep a stainless Marlin rifle around for shooting in wet weather.  If you buy a stainless gun, keep it well-lubricated.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have bought a number of guns from guys on this site and only had one bad deal.  Didn't get the gun and the guy wouldn't return my cashier's check......not at all what I have come expect from Texans.  I guess there's a cull in every herd.  I wrote it off as loss.

You may already have but I'd call him out on the forum and spread his name.

You NEED to drop into a couple of excellent gun stores in NC... Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro and Mid South Guns on Main St. in Wagram, NC

Probably one of the largest inventories in vintage and modern "cowboy" guns I've ever seen in one place.

If you're looking for a '92, they got them.  New Rossi or Original Winchesters.  '73's?  racks of them.

1285040165_MidSouthGuns.thumb.jpg.9b62a1b1354423874b2d3fa0353f1fe1.jpg

1 hour ago, Savvy Jack said:

You may already have but I'd call him out on the forum and spread his name.

I don't believe that is allowed on the SASS site and it's been nearly a year and I couldn't tell you his name if you put a gun to my head.

Sorry.

13 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't believe that is allowed on the SASS site and it's been nearly a year and I couldn't tell you his name if you put a gun to my head.

Sorry.

Oh well in that case, I retract my advice!!!!!!! :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Cowpoke, you can visit Taylor's Firearms in Alexandria, Va for a nice day trip.  They have a very wide selection.

I am near Greensboro and have bought from Taylor's, Cherrys (Greensboro) and on this forum.

Getting to a match is not a bad option.  You can try and buy from someone who is financing another project or culling the herd.

Don't be driving to Alexandria. Stay to the west and head to Winchester straight up I-81 to get to Taylors. Exit 317. Open House is same weekend as the nearby West Virginia State Shoot. Appalachian Showdown. September 25-27

http://www.wvcass.org/showdown/

6 hours ago, Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998 said:

Try Don Jones at http://www.codyscowboyshop.com

He is also an excellent gunsmith and guarantees his work.  Been doing business with him for 15 years. 

+1    I agree, RE: Don Jones, a.k.a Cody Conagher
I bought my Uberti, 1873 Winchester from him and specified barrel length, etc.  He can tell you all the various options.  He performed his full. “Codymatic” workup on it, which included a dovetail, gold dot front sight.  I had him install a full buckhorn rear sight, which many people do not like, by the way.  He sent it to my California FFL, from who I took delivery.  Very smooth, quick, and never a single failure.

Here’s (BELOW) his contact information.
—  Check out his website, too:
http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

"Cody Conagher"  =  Don Jones

Cody does "CodyMatic" Win73 reproduction short stroke modifications.  Does a good job, too.

**Certified Gunsmith

(304) 258-1516
The Cowboy Shop
Cody Conagher (Don Jones)
12040 Valley Road
Berkeley Springs WV 25411

email:   cody6986@frontier.com

Cat Brules

Archived