SASS Wire Forum

FRUSTRATED!!!

On 5/24/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My biggest problem - and it is my problem - is that I will lend something to someone and forget about it until I need it... and then can't remember who I loaned it to.

I had a neighbor that would borrow tools and I borrowed  his. When I did this I had a little note pad in my toolbox with what I had loaned and what I had borrowed. When I sold my home in SoCal and was moving to North Carolina I looked at my list, gathered up what few tools I had of his, cleaned them up, replaced one Craftsman wrench that I dinged and returned them. I handed him my list of tools that he had of mine. He said he'd  have them ready in a day or two. Well, moving duties kept me busy and I forgot to go back over to get my tools and we took off for NC. Not only did he not return my tools  he had my list so over time I had forgotten what he had of mine. Every once in a while to this day I will find I am missing something and then I remember "That's another damn tool I loaned to Craig!". He  literally had around $2000 worth of my tools. I don't buy cheap tools.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Then he borrowed it again without asking - he'd bought his own key. 

Years ago in 1986 my wife's idiot brother, I will not call him brother-in-law. He's a piece of excrement...Anyway, my wife's brother came to  visit us. He was having some problems and "needed  to get away" so my wife took pity on this POS and bought him a plane ticket  to fly out and stay with us in Redondo  Beach, CA for a coupe of weeks. I tried t steer clear of Idiot Boy but my wife kept badgering me to spend  time with him. He loved riding motorcycles so my wife talked me into taking him out for a  day of riding. I had my new '86 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster and I had an 83 Yamaha 550 Seca that I had turned into a  screaming "Canyon Bomber". I put a lot of money into this bike and the engine. 

So, I gave him the key to  the Yamaha and I rode my Sportster and we spent all day Saturday riding around Southern California. Then on Sunday we  did a coast run and got back home late in the afternoon. Just as we pulled into my driveway he says "Hey, do you mind if I ride down the street to that sandwich shop and get myself a  sandwich?". Seemed  innocent enough so I said "Sure, go ahead."

Since I had gotten the Harley I didn't ride my Yamaha much.  I rode my Harley to work everyday. That next Friday I decided to only work a half day but didn't tell Idiot Boy (the man is in his mid 50's now but he is still  "Idiot Boy" to me). I came home but instead of pulling into the apartment  complex driveway and putting my bike  in the garage I parked on the street in front of my apartment. When I shut the engine off to my bike  I hear the far off sound of a  loud racy Japanese  motorcycle that sounded like someone was popping through it's gears redlining it at each gear. I  looked  down the street to the main intersection I time to see my yellow  Yamaha blow  through the intersection with Idiot Boy on it without a helmet. He must have been going at least 100 mph.I am not kidding.  

I was furious. I wanted to kill  that guy. I got back on the Harley and went looking for him. I never found him so after an hour I  went home and waited. He showed up just moments before my wife came home from work around 4:30. As soon as  the kickstand hit the concrete, he hit the concrete. I hit him so hard I am pretty sure his mother  felt it. My wife freaked  out. He freaked out. We all freaked out! Needless to say his  arse was on the first flight out of LAX to Pittsburgh the very next morning.

In 5 days he had  put  1000 miles on my Yamaha and he had completely ruined the top end  of the engine. My mechanic said it looked like someone  red lined it constantly for that entire 1000 miles. It cost me a lot of money that I didn't have to get it right again.

He had gotten a key made  when he went down the street for that sandwich. To this day, if I am visiting in Pennsylvania he will not let me near his  cars or motorcycle. When my wife's  Dad died Idiot Boy inherited  his hunting rifles. When we go there to visit I always ask if I can borrow  a  rifle or two to go shooting. He won't loan them to me. I  think he knows he won't get them back...at least not in usable condition.

Someday I will avenge my Yamaha....someday!

• 3 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 8:27 AM, Alpo said:

Don't just complain. If you're going to loan something to someone, mark it.

works for them cattle rustlers too

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 2:37 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

A friend would not destroy something they borrowed without replacing it. A user would.

A couple of SASS shooters have borrowed things from me in the past. She borrowed a hat pin. I had to ask for it to be given back to me. He borrowed a corkscrew and broke it. He never replaced it. I never loan anything anymore. I have given some costumes to people though.

So, I guess I am agreeing with you. :unsure: 

PS This was a husband and wife.

Archived