SASS Wire Forum

thompson/auto ordnance 1911

Boomstick Bruce

I just came into possession of a thompson/auto ordnance 1911, 4 digit ser# aoc34**

i have read these are some of the best 1911's from the 70's out there and ive heard they are some of the worse. What is y'alls experience?

i plan on using it for a back up to my Iver Johnson 1911 i use for WB and as a duty weapon for work... thoughts?

100046102_10222657638659166_1328075875870048256_n.jpg

100100603_10222657637979149_901108504050270208_n.jpg

Nothing like a detailed strip and clean to look for problems. But it is a 1911, anything wrong can be fixed. From what I understand and I am not a 1911 expert, don't let it run dry of lubrication, it probably likes running a bit wet. I have seen a lot of worn used 1911s in used gun cases and the most common problems I see show they were fired a lot without lubrication. My favorite I did not buy was a Llama with almost no tension in the recoil spring, almost no rifling left in the bore, and clear grooves at all wear points. I was curious if it would still fire even in that condition, but was not going to pay $150 to find out.

That one looks nice!

For my NIB 1911, I ran 300 rounds of Blazer Brass and 10 boxes of Critical Defense to satisfy myself it was good for carry. That was about $250. I am not an officer. Since you are looking at a duty weapon, that last item would be Critical Duty (+P) or your personal preference.

Belt (not duty, but polymer reinforced), holster, 2 mag carriers (and lost a screw so a third one), and loctite for all LOL, 3 Wilson mags, thin grips, a cleaning brush for the caliber, and a bunch more ammo for the future.

Looked at in context, the actual gun was not really that expensive...

7 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

^   Umm, funny spell check result there!   Probably Loctite.

Good luck, GJ

Auto correct on my computer, and it just tried to do it to me again. And not just in the post but also in the reason for edit. Thanks for catching it.

I recently sold one simply because I needed five 1911s like I need the mumps.  I sold an Auto Ordnance, a Springfield, and an old parts puzzle gun that I have had since college.  I kept my RIA because it is the best of the bunch, mostly because I worked it, or had it worked by experts....and it was the prettiest (due to a nice custom blue job and some fine double diamond walnut grips) and the newest of the lot.  Nothing really wrong with the others, and I kept a Colt that had belonged to my dad for nostalgic reasons.

Have one, maybe more recent, also marked Kahr. (Didn't they buy Auto/Ordnance).  So far, I like it, but it's my first 1911, so I don't have anything to compare it to.  Price was right.  

well since its not some super rarity or anything even though it is a 4 digit ser# which is kind of cool, i decided to refinish it... super blue works wonders!!! (its the one in the middle)

1911s1.jpg

On 5/26/2020 at 5:56 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Had one back in the early 90s, used McCormick Shooting Star magazines and it ran great with ball ammo.

mine came with one of those same mags and runs great except on the last round, every time it shoves the empty back into the mag and crushes the case mouth jamming the whole gun up and making it a bear to clear. but only on that one particular mag...

11 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

mine came with one of those same mags and runs great except on the last round, every time it shoves the empty back into the mag and crushes the case mouth jamming the whole gun up and making it a bear to clear. but only on that one particular mag...

Contact CMC and tell them about it. They may replace the magazine.

If I were a betting person I would say that either the mag spring is weak or the follower needs to be replaced. Both fixes are relatively inexpensive.

I love mine S/N AOC36XXX. Hand fitted a bushing to a match barrel, full length guide rod. This will feed an empty case. (below is a 50 yd. target)

image.png.70af34e0bc5a0612a1af5c30b3e62172.png

image.png.a05b9b95fbfd6a76fc5258a65ceeaf71.png

Archived