SASS Wire Forum

Streets of Laredo

Don’t know how I missed this!!

James Garner as Woodrow Call??

Any good??

Wrong forum!!  Move to the Saloon, moderators if you please!!

I liked it! Good ending to a terrific series!

”I have no need for fancy weapons”

Woodrow Call

George Carlin made a fabulous western man!!  I won't call him a cowboy, but what an acting job!!!

That’s right.  Most books are better than the movies

However, this “movie” is a “chapter” in Larry McMurtry’s book series that we probably know better as the “Lonesome Dove’” series of tv miniseries.

“Streets of Laredo” is a very good movie.....not just okay!

Cat Brules

The problem with the movie is that everyone who loves Lonesome Dove expects the same actors to be in this one too. It was hard for me to fit James Garner into the role of Woodrow Call.

5 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The problem with the movie is that everyone who loves Lonesome Dove expects the same actors to be in this one too. It was hard for me to fit James Garner into the role of Woodrow Call.

Lonesome Dove proved he could be someone other than Bret Maverick.  Henley the scrounger in The Great Escape was just Maverick in WW2.

48 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

"James Garner as Woodrow Call?"

Worked for me. What I couldn't stomach was "Grampa Walton" was Wyatt Erp in Winchester '73

Will Geer would have been OK...if only they had tightened up his gun belt and swiveled the holster out of his crotch.  

LL

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

John Wayne said that James Garner was the best male actor in film!  In my recollection, there are four actors who played Woodrow.  All did admirable jobs!!  By the second scene, Garner had taken on the role splendidly!!  Looking back, John Voigt took a little longer!

1. Dead Man's Walk – set in the early 1840s
  2. Comanche Moon – set in the 1850–60s
  3. Lonesome Dove – set in mid-to-late 1870s
  4. Streets of Laredo – set in the early 1890s

I have read all four of the books and during this lock down, my wife and I watched all four of the movies on DVD.  We've enjoyed them all, but I will admit, I rated "Streets of Lorado" equal to "Lonesome Dove."  I suspect I've watched "Streets of Lorado" more times than I've watched "Lonesome Dove" and I know I've watched "Lonesome Dove" six or seven times.  "Streets of Lorado" has interesting characters, entertaining story line, and very good acting by all.   None of the movies followed the books exactly in all details, but the film versions certainly did justice to the books.  Just a great series of Westerns!

4 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

“Get’cher ropes!!”  :angry:

Dishwater, I'm going to do a little hijacking of your thread.

In the book "Comanche Moon" Gus explains why they won't rent pigs.  All Lonesome Dove fans should know this very profound business reasoning by such a stellar business executive as Augustus McCrae!

We Don’t Rent Pigs

Here is why “We don’t rent pigs.”   This is long but happens to be one of my favorite sections.  This was copied from Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtry, pages 675-678 (hardback addition).

“Me, sorting dry goods, no thank you,” Augustus had said, when Call once mentioned the possibility of their buying a store.  He had given a similarly dismissive reply to several other ideas Call had floated.  Only the notion of running a livery stable seemed to arouse his interest, if only because – as Gus envisioned the enterprise – there would be Pea Eye and Deets to do the work, whereas he would take the money to the bank and perhaps wet his whistle, against the drought, on the way back.

The thought of owning a livery stable affected Gus much as the though of the beef-eating millionaires affected Captain King.  Every time a livery stable was mentioned, around the bunkhouse, Gus would get a light in his eye and would soon be spinning notions that made the contemplated livery stable unlike any Call, or Pea, or Deets had ever seen.

“Of course, we wouldn’t have to just rent horses,” he said, on blazing day when the group of them were sitting in the shade of a big mesquite, behind the bunkhouse.

“No, we could rent a mule or two, if we had a couple,” Call allowed, only to draw from Augustus the look of scorn re reserved for the hopelessly unimaginative.

“I wasn’t talking about mules, Woodrow,” he said.  “A mule is just a lesser horse, and so is a donkey.”

“They may be lesser, but a lot of people would rather rent a mule than a horse, I imagine,” Pea Eye said.  “A mule won’t step in a hole, and a horse will.”

“You’re out of your depth when it come to commerce, Pea,” Gus said.  “You should keep your tongue back there behind your teeth.”

Call was puzzled.

“What other kind of animals would you be renting, then?” he asked, though he knew Augustus was probably just launching into one of the elaborate leg pulls he loved so much.  He particularly loved them when he had the credulous Deets and Pea to confound and dumbfound.

“Well, we could rent sheep and goats and laying hens,” Augustus said, without hesitation.

“Laying hens?  Why would anybody pay to rent a hen?”  Call asked.

“It could be that a salesman had just come to town for a few days,” Gus said.  “He might want a nice raw egg with his coffee and of course he’d prefer it to be fresh.  We could rent him a hen for a day or two so he’d have his egg.”

The answer had a certain logic to it – such a thing could happen, though Call knew it never would.  That was the devilish thing about arguing with Augustus: he could always come up with answers that made sense about schemes that would never happen.

“How much would I have to pay if I was to rent a hen from you for a day or two, Gus?” Pea asked.

“If it was one of those nice speckled hens I expect I’d require a quarter a day,” Augustus said.  “If it was just one of those plain brown hens I might let you rent her for fifteen cents.”

“All right, but why would anyone want to rent a sheep or a goat?” Dan Conner asked.  He was small, feisty ranger who had joined the troop after Jake left.

“Well, our same salesman might want a sheep around because the odor of sheep repels mosquitoes,”  Augustus said.  “He might want to hitch a sheep to the foot of his bed so the skeeters wouldn’t bite him too hard.”

That answer, which Augustus delivered with a straight face, stopped conversation for a while, as the various rangers tried to remember if they had slept free of mosquitoes while there was a sheep around.  Of course, there were no sheep in Austin, and very few anywhere in Texas, so the theory was hard to test.

“What would a goat do, then?” Pea Eye inquired.

“Goats eat up the trash,” Deets ventured, unexpectedly.  Though he always listened intently to the general conversation, he rarely contributed a remark, especially not if one of the captains was around.  Alone with Pea Eye, though, Deets had plenty to say.

“That’s it, Deets – that’s it,”  Augustus declared.  “Your salesman might have some old ledgers or a few bill of lading he wants to dispose of.  We’d rent him a goat for thirty cents a day and the problem would be solved.”

“How about pigs, then, Captain?”  Dan Connor asked.  “A pig has got as good an appetite as a goat.  How much would a pig rent for?”

At that Augustus looked stern.

“Oh, we wouldn’t be renting no pigs, can’t afford to, Dan,”  he said.  “It might lead to lawsuits.”

“Why would renting a pig lead to lawsuits?” Call asked.  He had had enough of the conversation and was about to take a walk, but he thought he would hear how Augustus justified his remark about pigs and lawsuits.

“Now the difficulty with a pig is that it’s smarter than most human beings and it has a large appetite,” Gus said.  “A pig might even eat a customer, if the customer was drunk and not alert.  Or it might at least eat one of his legs, if it was in the mood to snack.  Or it could eat his coat off, or swallow the nice belt buckle his wife had given him for his birthday, which would get him in trouble at home and cause a passel of bad feelings.  Even if it didn’t mean a lawsuit it might cause him to tell all his friends not to rent from us, which would mean a sag in profits.”

At that point Call walked off…

4 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

"James Garner as Woodrow Call?"

Worked for me. What I couldn't stomach was "Grampa Walton" was Wyatt Erp in Winchester '73

My thoughts exactly

Joey Garza kill the german guy and steals his Schmidt–Rubin

Joey Garza shoots Sam Shepard's toe off and Sam Shepard shoots Joey Garza with the Terry 'the Toad' s big shot gun

What I remember about Streets of Laredo:  if you get an outfit you can be a cowboy, too.

1. Dead man's walk

2. Commanche Moon

3. Lonesome Dove

4. Return to Lonesome Dove (the only one that does not have a book)

5. Streets Of Laredo

Just sayin'........;)

8 hours ago, MizPete said:

What I remember about Streets of Laredo:  if you get an outfit you can be a cowboy, too.

The Smothers Brothers ruined that song forever.  It's pretty heavy stuff, but if you strum your guitar and sing, "As I walked out on the streets of Laredo.." somebody is going to laugh.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1. Dead man's walk

2. Commanche Moon

3. Lonesome Dove

4. Return to Lonesome Dove (the only one that does not have a book)

5. Streets Of Laredo

Just sayin'........;)

Actually “Return to Lonesome Dove” doesn’t really fit in the timeline. McMurtry makes it very clear, in “Streets of Laredo”, that Newt was dead by the time of the major events of “Return to Lonesome Dove.”

5 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Actually “Return to Lonesome Dove” doesn’t really fit in the timeline. McMurtry makes it very clear, in “Streets of Laredo”, that Newt was dead by the time of the major events of “Return to Lonesome Dove.”

Must have been in the book because I don’t recall that in the tv series. I never read The book Streets of Laredo, 

McMurtry had nothing to do with "Return to Lonesome Dove."  I've heard that's why he killed Newt off.  McMurtry had Newt killed when Hell Bitch fell on him and the saddle horn crushed Newt's chest.

29 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

McMurtry had nothing to do with "Return to Lonesome Dove."  I've heard that's why he killed Newt off.  McMurtry had Newt killed when Hell Bitch fell on him and the saddle horn crushed Newt's chest.

Was that in the book? I don’t recall that being  in the tv version. 

Archived