SASS Wire Forum

Fun for fly boys

Smoken D

A little show out my backyard. A bit of a close call:o

Never saw one popping flares before, that was cool, probably practicing some form of evasion maneuver. We used to live north of a Air Force reserve base with A-10's. They'd come up our way to play over the fields and be right down on the deck. I've had the flight lead actually have to climb to get over some trees in our yard. Heck of a show. That aircraft is amazingly maneuverable.  

Where was the close call? Did a flare land in your yard?
The upside of being in the military is you get to play with some amazing toys.

46 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Where was the close call? Did a flare land in your yard?
The upside of being in the military is you get to play with some amazing toys.

When the two were coming together, it was a little closer than what the film showed. What's cool is the flares at the night maneuvers, especially at full moon. Yea, as an M.P. armorer I got to play with a lot of goodies. Don't know what was more fun, shooten or taking them apart. Na, shooten.:lol:

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Damned guys get to play and call it “training”.

That type of flying is a very perishable skill. The only way to keep sharp is lots of hours behind the stick. Looks like play to us, far from it for those guys. I was amazed when they'd come across the open field by the old house, that low there was no sound until they were past us. Would have been a really bad day in a tank they were looking for!

4 hours ago, Doc X said:

That type of flying is a very perishable skill. The only way to keep sharp is lots of hours behind the stick. Looks like play to us, far from it for those guys. I was amazed when they'd come across the open field by the old house, that low there was no sound until they were past us. Would have been a really bad day in a tank they were looking for!

They target my place on the bluff. There is a large land point on the South side of my place and I sit a little lower than the hill. They like to fly over the lake, up over the point, then down again to target and take out my place. When I visited them at the Air Base and told the Colonel where I lived, he just smiled and said he knew exactly where I lived and the design of the home. I just smiled back. 

I was there visiting and presenting them a peace offering I built for them as you see below.

303 Project (2).JPG

303 Project (3).JPG

We usually get them down on the deck doing contour flying on the lake on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.  We live at the junction of the main channel and the Gravois Arm.  They're often flying downstream on the main, then take a hard bank to port to fly up the Gravois as they rattle our windows.  Love it.

4 hours ago, Doc X said:

It’s still fun! :lol:

12 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Looked like two Warthogs practicing air-to-air. Didn’t know they played such games. 

It isn't their preferred task, but it is something they're capable of. If I recall correctly, when they upgraded the A-10 to the C model, they improved the avionics so they could carry air-to-air missiles. I know there has been at least one victory over a helicopter in Iraq.

Having been in the Army, there's nothing I like seeing overhead more than some A-10s.

I recall a video during the first Desert Storm of an Russian built Iraqi "Hind" attack chopper trying to lift off with an A-10 inbound. That Gatling gun made very short work of it.  

The first time I ever saw an A10 was in Arizona down near Tucson quite a few years ago, even before the first Gulf war. I thought it was the most perfect Aircraft and I wished I was a pilot. Though not as pretty and elegant as some, there is something beautiful about it’s functional design to me. The air to air fighters get the glory, but the ground attack plane gets some serious and important work done.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not a Warthog but impressive none the less.

This F-15E scored an air-to-air kill by dropping a bomb on an Iraqi helicopter

I remember seeing the footage of that while at Ft. Sam!

Another one of my security systems on patrol around my place.

Chopper.jpg

I had my backside saved by an A-10 once.  I was commanding a logistics convoy; they heaviest weapons we had were a few M2 machine-guns, and this was in the days before anything other than tanks and tracked vehicles (of which there were none in my convoy) were armored.  I was in a HMMWV that had canvas doors.  The next thing you know, I see a dust signature in the distance and realize it's a tank...but not an M1; it was a T-72, and it was barreling across the desert toward us.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTT!!!!!!!!!

No more T-72.  

5 hours ago, Doc X said:

I recall a video during the first Desert Storm of an Russian built Iraqi "Hind" attack chopper trying to lift off with an A-10 inbound. That Gatling gun made very short work of it.  

Boy I’d love to see that video!

5 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Another one of my security systems on patrol around my place.

Chopper.jpg

I heard helicopters near my house the other day, but not the Bell Jet Rangers and Chinooks I’m accustomed to. Went outside to have a look and saw a flight of 3 of these at very low altitude. Maybe 250 ft. or less. 

Is there a unit of them at Whiteman?

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I heard helicopters near my house the other day, but not the Bell Jet Rangers and Chinooks I’m accustomed to. Went outside to have a look and saw a flight of 3 of these at very low altitude. Maybe 250 ft. or less. 

Is there a unit of them at Whiteman?

Yes. They fly maneuvers around my place also along with the B-2. The other morning I was up and around 1:30am the B-2 flew real low over my house. Strobe lights lit me up it was that low. 

2 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Yes. They fly maneuvers around my place also along with the B-2. The other morning I was up and around 1:30am the B-2 flew real low over my house. Strobe lights lit me up it was that low. 

B)

I’m down at the lake periodically up around the 60 mile marker.  I know the A-10s have been up there, but never when I’m around. 

BTW, had an opportunity to fly the B-2 full motion simulator at Whiteman the pilots use for training. Just WOW!

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

B)

I’m down at the lake periodically up around the 60 mile marker.  I know the A-10s have been up there, but never when I’m around. 

BTW, had an opportunity to fly the B-2 full motion simulator at Whiteman the pilots use for training. Just WOW!

That is so cool. I have no respect for the 509th sorry. When I built the trophy for the 303rd I was given a personal tour of the A-10's, got to sit inside one, and flew their simulator. After another year passed I meet with the 509th and built them one heck of a trophy with both a model of the Enola Gay and the B-2 attached to the trophy one flying above the other. I gave it to one of their personnel. After a year had passed not hearing or receiving even a thanks I contacted that person I gave it too. He gave me info where it went which they related to me no record of receiving it. I had around $200 building that thing which I just gave them as a thanks for their service even tho I was Army:D I tried to have it looked into, but no one gave a hoot. Love the plane, no respect for the unit:angry: At one of the air shows I spoke with a colonel pilot and asked if he ever saw the trophy and showed him a photo of it. He never saw it and wasn't interested in pursuing any further. Well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Some of you might have seen some of my prior posts about my aerospace background. In the early 70's I was a production engineer at North American on the B-1A program. It was ended after the 4 prototypes were built. My boss went to Fairchild on the A-10 that was just beginning. They were having a few problems and he requested North American loan me to them for a few months to help them get the assembly line up and running. I was shocked at the airframe the first time I saw it....it was a Sherman tank with wings! It is one hell of an airplane. They wanted me to stay, North American needed me back to start the Space Shuttle. I also Worked on the B-2 Stealth Bomber, it is a "stud" airplane too.

Archived