SASS Wire Forum

We need to keep parents off the streets

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He set a very pour example for those kids :excl:

What a jerk! 

OLG 

Who, THE UMPIRE?!?!?

Ummm...NO!!!  That's not how this works.  He was being personally attacked by idiot parents who should be ashamed of themselves.  He issued them a warning, and when they continued to act like children, he ruled the game a forfeit.  THAT IS HOW HE IS SUPPOSED TO HANDLE IT ACCORDING TO THE RULES.  

1 minute ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Who, THE UMPIRE?!?!?

Ummm...NO!!!  That's not how this works.  He was being personally attacked by idiot parents who should be ashamed of themselves.  He issued them a warning, and when they continued to act like children, he ruled the game a forfeit.  THAT IS HOW HE IS SUPPOSED TO HANDLE IT ACCORDING TO THE RULES.  

Now that I used my ear phones to hear clearly. 

My assessment was wrong. :blush:

It's the 'parents' that need to grow up.

TNX,

OLG 

It can also be done correctly.  In this clip, the coach *politely* discussed the issue with the umpire, who conferred with his colleague.  After they conferred, the umpires overturned their call.  No negativity, no drama, no coaches or parents acting like imbeciles and getting the ban hammer.  

I'm going to take my flag and go home ! 

Here in Canada, it can become especially bad at midget/kids organized hockey games.

My BIL was assaulted a few times both as a coach and a referee.

Out came the Ban Hammer from the league.

While umpiring a district tournament for 13/14 year old boys a few years ago, I called a baulk on a young man who was dominating a game! The coach exploded out of the dugout and several spectators/parents went nuts!

The coach stomped onto the field and proceeded to argue the call. I explained that the pitcher had removed the ball from his glove and then put it back into the glove while standing on the rubber, a classic baulk. As he stood and argued and those in the stands railed, the young man stood beside the mound, patiently waiting to resume the game.

He finally walked to a spot directly behind the rubber and said in a moderately loud voice, “Play ball, coach!” followed in a lower voice and with a sheepish grin, “My bad, Blue!”

He was later heard, scolding his folks and telling them that, “ The ump was right!”

As a former coach, umpire, and as a district director for a large youth baseball organization, I can tell you with full assurance, the kids are great!! It’s the parents that are the problem!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

As a former coach, umpire, and as a district director for a large youth baseball organization, I can tell you with full assurance, the kids are great!! It’s the parents that are the problem!!

Yep.  I've been an assistant coach and a Little League parent.  I'm going into my rookie year of umpiring this year.  All the guys are telling me that if I can survive the parents of the 8 year-olds, I'll do fine at the high school level.  That's commensurate with my observations so far.  

Archived