SASS Wire Forum

Well that was interesting

We were in a Tornado warning until 4:30. Haven’t been in one since we left Florida in ‘06.

Get real dark and real windy for about 15 minutes. Hearing lots of sirens now. Don’t know if anything touched down but we got more rain in the last half hour than we get in a year back in Dove Creek.

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We were in a Tornado warning until 4:30. Haven’t been in one since we left Florida in ‘06.

Get real dark and real windy for about 15 minutes. Hearing lots of sirens now. Don’t know if anything touched down but we got more rain in the last half hour than we get in a year back in Dove Creek.

Did you get the quiet before the storm...I mean dead quiet...

Texas Lizard

14 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Did you get the quiet before the storm...I mean dead quiet...

Texas Lizard

Nope. Just kinda drizzly. A young couple took their pooch across the street to the dog park. I guess they thought they could beat the storm.They were wrong! It hit like turning on a faucet. :lol:

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nope. Just kinda drizzly. A young couple took their pooch across the street to the dog park. I guess they thought they could beat the storm.They were wrong! It hit like turning on a faucet. :lol:

I know that feeling also...But if you ever heard the quiet before storm you never forget it....Ran into it in Arkansas...This California boy never been in that kinda weather before....Spooky....

Texas Lizard

Looks like 60,000 are without power. We’re okay here. Glad we were back from the doctor‘s office by the time it hit. Carol made me move the car into the garage before it hit. I told her as I left that if I got kilt it would be on her.

“I’ll miss your pension”, she says.
I get no respect I’m tellin ya. No respect at all. 
:lol:

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

“I’ll miss your pension”, she says.
I get no respect I’m tellin ya. No respect at all. 
:lol:

Delighted to hear she’s feeling better!!

:D

When we lived in Mancos a tornado came by in 1986 but never hit the ground and didn't do anything but get me flustered and heading for our cellar. My wife was talking to her girlfriend on the phone and it went right over her house. They never stopped talking on the phone. I still have photos of it somewhere. It looked like a big prophylactic hanging down from the clouds.

They say that if you run counterclockwise around the tip of tornado real fast it will die.  I am not sure how they determine what speed really fast is.

Who are THEY?  Does anybody know?

That is one of the things that I do not miss about the Carolinas. Soon your daily forecast will include a “Chance of Thunderstorms” every single day all summer long...So there’s that. 

Just missed being in the middle  of one in 1981. We came home from a horse show that was rained out. The wife wanted to stop at the grocery store to pick something up. She came running out of the store and I rolled my window down and it was dead calm. She got in and I made a left and a right and headed south. I could see the leaves turning over behind me. She was the last one out of the store. Our downtown was destroyed. South of town, the son was shining.

My son lives in Gastonia, N.C..  Yesterday, Friday, a tornado hit between his house and his neighbors.  By the grace of God it only ripped out three trees behind his house  and went on down the golf course.  No other damage to either house.  He said it was real quiet and then came the sound of a train.  Scary stuff.  He has lived in Gastonia since 1998 and this is the first time he's seen a tornado in his area.

My son has been hunkered down in Chapel Hill since the pandemic began; he got on a plane this morning to head home to Seattle.  Sounds like it was none too soon. 

I lived in Minnesota for awhile during the 1970's; I've heard that freight train sound, and seen approaching funnel clouds.  I don't care to hear it or see one again.

LL

I just watched a show about Ted Fujita (Fujita scale inventor) on PBS's American Experience yesterday. I've found most of the American Experience shows to be good and informative, however some of them have been liberal pos's.

Tornadoes usually on the lower end of the Fujita Scale and don't last long in Florida. That's not always the case though. I've been through a couple of F-0 tornadoes. One was a water spout came onshore while we were fishing, we lost a 5 gallon bait bucket and got blowed around a little bit. The other hit my house/trees and did about 15K worth of damage, mainly from the large limbs of Oak tree that were blown everywhere. I never heard the freight train sound, to me it sounded like sticking your head out of the car window at 70 mph.

My ex was in the one(s) that hit Zenia Ohio in 1974 during the "Super Outbreak" of tornadoes. That was an F-5 multiple vortex tornado that was a half mile wide. Every time they would issue a tornado watch, she got edgy. If they issued a warning, she would freak out and go to a centrally located room until the warning expired.

The Tampa Bay area, where I live, has the second most lightning strikes of any place on the planet. With that we get a lot of thunderstorms that sometimes dump an 

Incredible amount of rain in a short period of time. Just last year, we had a 45 minute stretch of rain that filled my 6" rain gauge to the top. I have no idea of how much rain was actually dropped that day as it was overflowing. It used to be that you could set your clock to 5:30pm when it rained during June and July because it rained the same time everyday. 

Lived in MN for two years, @ 20 years ago. Saw the yellow/green sky and the funnel clouds twice. That was enough for me.

19 hours ago, Sawyer said:

They say that if you run counterclockwise around the tip of tornado real fast it will die.  I am not sure how they determine what speed really fast is.

Who are THEY?  Does anybody know?

Pecos Bill has been known to tame a tornado or two.

33 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Pecos Bill has been known to tame a tornado or two.

Pecks Bill was a question on Jeopardy. Last night. I got it. They didn’t! 

Live a few miles from this one, good photos in the gallery. Call where I live in Central Illinois - tornado alley. Seen quite a few small ones over the years. But it's the big ones that make you pause. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/washington-tornado-photos_n_4296752?slideshow=true#gallery/5be21f15e4b0aeaf24c6416f/0

Archived