SASS Wire Forum

Most Popular Television Series 1951 - 2019

Dutch Wheeler

It is interesting to pause this video along the way and see all of the westerns that were popular in the late 50's through the mid 60's...

Interesting!

The TV shows, from 1951 to 1962,  I never got to see.

No TV in the part of Northern Canada where I lived and we only got the CBC Radio, Northern Service.

When Pards mention shows from that era, I'm never too sure what they're talking about.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:31 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Interesting!

The TV shows, from 1951 to 1962,  I never got to see.

No TV in the part of Northern Canada where I lived and we only got the CBC Radio, Northern Service.

When Pards mention shows from that era, I'm never too sure what they're talking about.

They were black and white moving pictures in a small box...They even had sound you could hear....

Texas Lizard

56 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

They were black and white moving pictures in a small box...They even had sound you cold here....

Texas Lizard

+1 :lol:

edit:

AND ... Looking for  Gunsmoke of course ... I noticed that they slid down in the standings rapidly 61-63 ... completely disappearing until 67 where the series rose swiftly again to the top. 

Soooooo ... I went and checked and found out that Burt Reynolds was on from 63-65!! Gee ... thought he always did a great job ... 

In 66 and 67 Thad Greenwood and Newley showed up ... ha!!  

Wow!! Did Burt really do that to the show's popularity??!? Wow ... :mellow:

I found it interesting that during the early 1950s, the numbers were small, compared  to the middle 1960s. 

I suspect that was due to the fact that TV sets were not available in large numbers, to the masses yet.

A lot of things were not yet available to the masses, due to wartime economy issues in the mid 1940s.

We got TV in 1956, the shows then were Tug Boat, Ed Sullivan, Dragnet, Roy Rogers, Sea Hunt, Wild Bill Hickok, Father Knows Best, The Honeymooners, Lassie, Perry Mason, Howdy Doody. The Millionaire, Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, My Little Margie, Soldiers of Fortune

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Very surprised that Red Skeleton was not on that list. :unsure:

OLG 

Watch again it was as high as # 5 for a time in 1955

I still watch Gunsmoke every day!

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Watch again it was as high as # 5 for a time in 1955

It was as high as 2 & 3 in '65- 66

16 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It runs so fast that it's hard to follow.

OLG 

When you run the video ... click on the little "settings" wheel at the bottom of the video and set the playback speed to 25% ... 

Wow!  Thanks, Dutch!! 

I called my wife over to the computer and watch the moving chart.  We got to talking about memories of what we liked to watch and the people we watched the shows with.   A walk down memory lane.

7 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Me too. I like the OLD 30 min ones the best. If I had my way all the shows would be 30 min.

JHC

Agreed! The black and white ones were better too. Shows like Paladin, Cheyenne, Maverick, Wanted dead or alive, Rawhide, Track Down, Wyatt Earp,  Johnny Ringo, Hop-along Cassidy,  Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and Wild Bill Hickok. I'm sure I've missed a few but those were the golden days of TV!

Archived