SASS Wire Forum

Homemade dog biscuits

Yeah sure you can buy milk bones or something, but does anybody make their own?  I have and will again. Ingredients are pumpkin purée , bacon, peanut butter (no artificial sugars) , egg, dash of cinnamon, egg, whole wheat flour, if I have some beef fat, I’ll add it. Maybe pumpkin pie spices, without nutmeg.

My daughter was making biscuits for her dog for quite a while but stopped when she went back to work. 

I recall she used pumpkin and peanut butter but I can’t remember the other ingredients. 

We don't make 'em, but we now only but these from Sam's Club.

Five ingredients: pea flower, coconut oil, canola oil, pumpkin puree and peanut butter.

We also break them in half, even though the dog is upwards of 50 pounds.

image.png.f0ed783e561b9affdba411d7b615f013.png

We were making them for our dog.  Lost him recently.  Pretty much the only thing we did that is different is we used ground oatmeal instead of wheat flour.  Just put packaged oatmeal into a blender and let it grind at high speed until it was flour.  Our first dog was allergic to both wheat and peanut butter.  It took us a while to figure it out, but once we figured out what he was allergic to it ended the daily vomit clean-up.

7 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Rib bones.

I like Rib bones, but for someone else’s dog I wouldn’t do it. For biscuits I would ask the owner’s permission.

it was funny. I used to bring biscuits to my friend Paul’s dogs,two Labradoodles. We’d play cards there once every six to eight weeks. Bruce drives up, bark, bark, bark. Brent drives up, bark, bark, bark. I drive up, sit quietly and wait.

While I was making these I got to thinking. Dogs have such incredibly smart noses and memories of smell, I should probably make them a little differently each time, add a dash of oregano or something.  The shapes are just for amusing the humans.  )))

F8A9C96E-CB13-48C2-99E1-DC8503805C19.jpeg

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

While I was making these I got to thinking. Dogs have such incredibly smart noses and memories of smell, I should probably make them a little differently each time, add a dash of oregano or something.  The shapes are just for amusing the humans.  )))

F8A9C96E-CB13-48C2-99E1-DC8503805C19.jpeg

I get a kick out of those Beggin Strips ads. "Dogs don't know it's not bacon" Yeah right. A dog can smell a nickel bag of dope in somebody's buttcrack halfway across an airport. Real bacon is cheaper anyways.

JHC

On 5/21/2020 at 10:46 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yeah sure you can buy milk bones or something, but does anybody make their own?  I have and will again. Ingredients are pumpkin purée , bacon, peanut butter (no artificial sugars) , egg, dash of cinnamon, egg, whole wheat flour, if I have some beef fat, I’ll add it. Maybe pumpkin pie spices, without nutmeg.

My wife makes them...every time she tries to make regular homemade biscuits. Poor fella chipped a tooth on the last ones. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:52 AM, Chief Rick said:

We don't make 'em, but we now only but these from Sam's Club.

Five ingredients: pea flower, coconut oil, canola oil, pumpkin puree and peanut butter.

We also break them in half, even though the dog is upwards of 50 pounds.

image.png.f0ed783e561b9affdba411d7b615f013.png

We got about 10 lbs of these left.  After the first 5 lbs we figured out they give 2 of our dogs terrible gas. 

That oughta teach my wife to buy insane amounts of 'new' 'weird' stuff we haven't tested yet. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

We got about 10 lbs of these left.  After the first 5 lbs we figured out they give 2 of our dogs terrible gas. 

That oughta teach my wife to buy insane amounts of 'new' 'weird' stuff we haven't tested yet. 

Thankful, we don't have that problem.

How about a rough estimate on the recipe. My granddaughter raises border collies. You won't have to write it out more than once.  Blue will turn the confuser on and Allie will do the typing.

Recipe?  I wrote this down as I made it. Wanted to be able to reproduce or alter the result.

you can change any of the amounts as you please or if shortages arise.

2 cups whole wheat flour.  Can grind oatmeal instead if you wish.

1cup pumpkin purée, the stuff for making a pie.

1/2 cup peanut butter, I used Jiff smooth. Avoid anything with artificial sweeteners.

2 slices cooked thick cut bacon, of course you can use more or thin cut, does not matter if it is hickory, maple, or forest fire smoked

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp each ground ginger, cloves, nutmeg

2 eggs

mix it all, roll it out about 1/4 inch thick. Make cookies. Spread on a cookie sheet prepped with parchment paper. 375° oven 15 minutes, turn them over, 10 more minutes, let cool, spoil your pet. I used some cookie cutters to make about 25 cookies and a knife to make the rest. Your pup doesn’t care.

Archived