SASS Wire Forum

Question about 1851 Conversions

Rube Burrows

Quick question about the 1851 Conversions for those who’ve had them or have them. 

Will they fit in a holster that was fitted to a 1851 Cap and ball gun or does the ejector cause it to not fit? 

my holsters were meant for the percussion pistols, the right side was a little tight at first, but wore in just fine.

the left holster didn’t care

If the holster was originally molded to too closely fit the percussion 1851, The Ejector will be problematic.  Mostly, a holster molded to fit a Colt SAA/replica will not accept a R/M Conversion nor an Open Top.

15 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

If the holster was originally molded to too closely fit the percussion 1851, The Ejector will be problematic.  Mostly, a holster molded to fit a Colt SAA/replica will not accept a R/M Conversion nor an Open Top.

My '51 R-M conversions fit in all my SAA holsters just fine.  But my 1860 Type II conversions , with the large hump under the barrel, do not fit.

Rube, if it is too tight you could probably do a little wet molding.  With no rammer, there is extra leather down there to move around some.

Thanks for the replies. Was just curious. Going to my local gun shop tomorrow to order one for now. Was just wondering if my holsters would possibly fit. 

I would just recommend these holsters...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-Western-Style-Holster/740541.uts?slotId=9

I use these for, well, just about everything except for my Walker and Dragoon.  SAA, various conversions, Remington, Smith and Wessons, Nagants, Merwin and Hulberts.   Bascially, if it's smaller than a Dragoon and the if the barrel is not over 7.5" is works.

Just the opposite.  ALL of my holsters have been "hard molded."  The holsters for SAA Replicas would not accept my Conversions.  The Ejector Housing and even more, the cylinder would not fit.

Caveat Emptor.  

I have a set of softer holsters that I got from Cabelas when I first got a pair of 51s. They will prob. work since they have room and are soft. I was just wondering because I have a pair of hard molded leather custom holsters that I was curious if they would fit. Looks like they wont fit. 

I have a shorter bbl set of 72 open tops that did fit loosely into orig vaquero holsters, I tightened those up just enough by cutting and stitching them to more closely follow the open top contours.

They were the TripleK mexican loop holsters.

My .38 Richards-Mason Navy conversions fit just great in Mernickle holsters designed for .36 Navies. The RM ejector assembly doesn’t seem to be a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.  

-CJ

9 hours ago, Canoga Joe said:

My .38 Richards-Mason Navy conversions fit just great in Mernickle holsters designed for .36 Navies. The RM ejector assembly doesn’t seem to be a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.  

-CJ

Will do. 

Archived