SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS Gun Age & Value

Hey there everybody, I have these old guns and having a hard time putting dates & values to them.  One on left is an old H&R top break 32 s&w and one on right is an old Thames Arms top break 38.  Both are unbelievably clean.   Any ideas?

F5B1B669-4394-47E7-943E-036CD41CA04B.jpeg

Probably the best way to get the value of a gun these days is to go online to one of the gun action sites and see the prices there.

http://www.gunbroker.com/   and http://www.gunsamerica.com/ are two of the bigger sites

4 hours ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

Hey there everybody, I have these old guns and having a hard time putting dates & values to them.  One on left is an old H&R top break 32 s&w and one on right is an old Thames Arms top break 38.  Both are unbelievably clean.   Any ideas?

F5B1B669-4394-47E7-943E-036CD41CA04B.jpeg

I have an H&R similar to that one.  Never heard of Thames Arms before, but I'd take either one of those (or both) if the price were right and we could work out the transfers.

Get a copy of Blue Book. By using features and barrel markings on the H&R  you can get an approximate date. Some models could be valuable depending on the barrel length.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have an H&R similar to that one.  Never heard of Thames Arms before, but I'd take either one of those (or both) if the price were right and we could work out the transfers.

Gonna hang on to them

8 minutes ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

Gonna hang on to them

Don't blame you a bit.  I have a whole Passel of little SA and DA pocket pistolettes from one shot to six.  I'm not entirely sure why, they just fascinate me.  Smallest caliber is .22 short and the largest is a Hammond Bulldog in .44 rim fire.

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't blame you a bit.  I have a whole Passel of little SA and DA pocket pistole from one shot to six.  I'm not entirely sure why, they just fascinate me.  Smallest caliber is .22 short and the largest is a Hammond Bulldog in .44 rim fire.

I get it.  I have a few Saturday Night Specials like Raven, Lorcin, etc... I find them cheap and that means I gotta have them!

9 hours ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

Gun appears to be made before 1940.

Are there any markings on  the barrel?

H&R PREMER SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME TOP BREAK R.F. & C.F. ----------1905-1941
Small fame double action top break revolver with double top post barrel latch; calibers and cylinder capacity, 22 rimfire-7 rounds, 32 S&W, 5 rounds; automatic cylinder stop; standard finish Nickel with case harden hammer and barrel latch; standard barrel length 3 inches, with 2, 4, 5 and 6 inches available as optional; HAS CALIBER MARKINGS ON LEFT SIDE OF BARREL WAS MANUFACTURED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER CARTRIDGE PRESSURES.
There has not been enough data gathered on serial number to try to come up with a serial number range for the different variations.
First Variation, model name & caliber marked on left side of barrel, patent dates 5-14-89, 4-2-95, 4-7-96---------------1905-Only
Second Variation, model name & caliber marked on left side of barrel, patent dates 4-2-95, 4-7-96-------------------1906-1908
Third Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel, patent date 10-8-95-------1909-1913
Fourth Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel, no patent date, state not spelled out in address (MASS)---------1914-1915
Fifth Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel same as 4th except different font used in barrel markings----------1914-1915
Sixth Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel. State name in barrel marking spelled out (MASSACHUSETTS)-----1916-1924
Seventh Variation, new grip frame, there is no step down for the grip panels to fit into-----1925-1942
After 1930 listed in catalogs as; PREMIER No. 30 .22 Rimfire 7 shot & PREMIER No. 35.32 S&W 5 shot
VALUE: 100%=$265 60%=$75 Add 10% premium for blue finish; 20% premium 4”, 5” or 6” barrel; 20% premium for 22 rimfire caliber; 10% premium for 7th variation

image.png.b44037494e6fe421a58f143797ea9750.png

11 hours ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

I get it.  I have a few Saturday Night Specials like Raven, Lorcin, etc... I find them cheap and that means I gotta have them!

11 hours ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

None of mine are post 1900 styles, and some don't have ammo available....mostly rim fires... and one or two aren't in shooting shape but they still look good on the wall.

There are 16 on the walls now and another 7 or 8 wiating for me to get them framed and hung.

I also have several later vintage semi-autos and some bigger revolvers in the same category........waiting....waiting.   :rolleyes:

Archived