SASS Wire Forum

9 mm Gatling gun

Go West

I found this article in Guns Magazine online. https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/the-tippmann-armory-gatling-9mm-gun/       

Pretty awesome fun. Uses Glock magazines and will run as fast as you turn the crank. Only $5 grand. :o I want one, but Momma might balk at the price for a toy. The rig weighs 60 lbs., a bit more feasible than the original. Instead of .45-70, it uses 9mm ammo. Although a huge price savings, you could run into a lot of dough if you just ran it for an hour or so. 

G0820-Tippmann-GG_Lead_w-Smoke_HR-joe-co

The tires are a deal breaker for me. ;)

That entire base looks like cast iron. probably weighs 40 of the 60 pounds.  I am with UB. put it on a nice period carriage and it would be much more appealing.  That and add a 200 or 300 round hopper to feed it.  

Looks like fun! :D

Tipmann Armory. The fine folks that pay for ads in our quarterly Chronicle yet never answer their phone messages or emails about their Rolling Block rifles...so I bought a Henry Single Shot Rifle. ;)

Problem solved. 

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The tires are a deal breaker for me. ;)

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That entire base looks like cast iron. probably weighs 40 of the 60 pounds.  I am with UB. put it on a nice period carriage and it would be much more appealing.  That and add a 200 or 300 round hopper to feed it.  

This thing looks perfect for towing behind a period correct Kawasaki Mule :lol:

Looks like no elevation? Good for kneecapping or spraying coyotes. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This thing looks perfect for towing behind a period correct Kawasaki Mule :lol:

I’d want it front mounted for the assistant driver. :D

The gun pivots up and down and you can see some adjustment at the rear. It may be possible to swing up and down through some setting.

1 minute ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The video shows a fully functional traverse and elevation (T/E) mechanism. 

Thanks. I only noticed the traverse first time I viewed it. Audio didn’t work. I wonder if it can be unlocked for quick elevation in case there’s a charging Grizzly or diving Terradactyl.

49 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’d want it front mounted for the assistant driver. :D

In that case I would be willing to cede operation to another competent person and I would be willing to step down to “Asst. Driver”. :D

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Thanks. I only noticed the traverse first time I viewed it. Audio didn’t work. I wonder if it can be unlocked for quick elevation in case there’s a charging Grizzly or diving Terradactyl.

I always found belt fed weapons more fun with the T&E removed and shooting straight from the pintle or bipod. (Note that I didn’t say more accurate or effective. Just fun.)

I imagine the same would apply to a crank fed weapon. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I always found belt fed weapons more fun with the T&E removed and shooting straight from the pintle or bipod. (Note that I didn’t say more accurate or effective. Just fun.)

I imagine the same would apply to a crank fed weapon. 

Probably a bit trickier to stay on target while cranking than holding on to a pair of M2 spade grips though. ;)

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Probably a bit trickier to stay on target while cranking than holding on to a pair of M2 spade grips though. ;)

Roster Cogburn could make it happen while riding a raft!  

Wish I could find a clip of that scene. The Duke and Katherine Hepburn❤️. It don’t get no better ‘n that!

Howdy

Every gun guy should shoot a Gatling gun at least once.

So much fun.

If you ever get a chance don't let the tire choice slow you down.

And they stay on target much better than one would guess.

Best

CR

13 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy

Every gun guy should shoot a Gatling gun at least once.

So much fun.

If you ever get a chance don't let the tire choice slow you down.

And they stay on target much better than one would guess.

Best

CR

Shot a 45-70.

It was fun but exhausting. ;)

I have shot a Gatling Gun twice in my life. Once at EOT in 1997 where I joined SASS. I was visiting all the vendor’s tents and walking about and like and behold there was a Gatling Gun one could pay to shoot. So I did :D and grinned for a solid month. I am also pretty sure that was the year Bob Munden was there putting on a show with his fast draw and shooting talent. Man, that man was quick and one helluva shooter. Rest In Peace, Mr. Munden. 

The second time was at EOT as well a couple of years later. It was as much fun the second time as it was the first time. 

I actually considered building a 10/22 “Gatling Gun” about 20 years ago. I have the plans somewhere around here. My wife put the kaibosh to it when she saw I would need several Ruger 10/22s to build it. I will have to find those plans. I did not come up with them. I found them online back in the mid 00’s.

Found another cool idea. This is not the “Gatling Gun” I was talking about but this idea is pretty cool too. 

APPARENTLY THESE ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE...

These folks made the kit:

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/00433

These folks sold the kit:

https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/category/1285/1657

The plans I have / had required 4 - 10/22s but could be built with 6. If I ever find them I will scan and post them but don’t hold your breath...I have moved so many times I am sure they are lost. 

Archived