SASS Wire Forum

45-70 sights

Dusty Boots

I am happily a new owner of a Shiloh Sharps 1874.  I purchased a used rifle that came with a MVA long range vernier sight. I have no experience with this type of sight.  I would like to know if there is any information/app/formula that lets you plug in variables to determine the height setting of the sight for a known distance and elevation.  I would like to shorten the learning curve.

Thanks 

DB

Find an exterior ballistics calculator program.   Some are available free online.  Believe Real Guns website is still running    Print out a chart thru the ranges your interested in       GW

Don't trust those charts to be exact. They never are....

To many variables involved. 

Start keeping a log book of temp, altitude, load data, and learn to read wind and mirage.

Sure hope you plan on using real BP in that Sharps.

OLG 

You find your “zero” typically at 100 yds. Then if you know your muzzle velocity, Bullet weight and ballistic coefficient you can enter that into a ballistics calculator. It will give you the settings for a given distance. It will be pretty durn close. Yes wind can affect the Bullet, and to a lesser extent atmospheric conditions, but the calculator will be close and a good starting point. 
my Shilo Sharps likes 535 grn Bullet, 25 grns 5744 powder   

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't trust those charts to be exact. They never are....

To many variables involved. 

Start keeping a log book of temp, altitude, load data, and learn to read wind and mirage.

Sure hope you plan on using real BP in that Sharps.

OLG 

This is the best way to get data for your gun.  There are too many variables.  And, depending on distance, altitude, humidity, wind and/or rain or snow, things change.  Start a good log and keep it updated.  

20 hours ago, Dusty Boots said:

I am happily a new owner of a Shiloh Sharps 1874.  I purchased a used rifle that came with a MVA long range vernier sight. I have no experience with this type of sight.  I would like to know if there is any information/app/formula that lets you plug in variables to determine the height setting of the sight for a known distance and elevation.  I would like to shorten the learning curve.

Thanks 

DB

Congrats on the Shiloh!! We've heard this question time after time. The best answer I can give you is as others said keep good notes. As far as charts go we recomend getting a setting either 100 or 200 yards using a load at BP velocity and use 12 minutes of sight change per 100 yards. That should get to close enough  to make the proper adjustment. 

Jasper

Dusty - buy some Lyman 457123, Postell bullets weigh 535grs - reload with black powder and read this write up on Shiloh Rifles.  You may not be possibly  shooting bullseye's but you will be on the targets at different distances for yards and meters "come up's" ...

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15931

If you are going to shoot smokeless powders ... Your on Your Own for specific range testing and trajectory calulations

Dusty, as mentioned: 45-70 trajectory settings are specific to bullet weights, powders and charge weights.  If you let me know which of any of these you will be shooting - send me a  PM:

45-70 50

PJ Money/70gr KIK 2F

45-70 74 349Lockcore/32.6A5744

45-70 50 405 HB/23gr 4198

45-70 100 CPA 457125
45-70 50 L457677/68gr KIK1.5
45-70 50 BACO M1/70gr KIK1.5
45-70 100 PJ Creedmoor/68gr KIK 2F
45-70 20 405 HB/23gr 4198
45-70 50 L457124/29.1gr XMP 5744
45-70 50 CPA L457631
45-70 20 L457661/70gr CTG
45-70 50 PJ Money/70gr KIK 2F
45-70 50 L457677/20gr KIK 1.5
45-70 50 L457132/68gr KIK 2f
45-70 50 PJ Money/70grKIK 2f
45-70 25 Lone Star Creedmoor/65gr KIK 3f

Dusty,

everyone has provided really good info. Here is what I’ve learned.  Start at 50 yds and get on paper.  You can easily go to 100 yds then adjust.  100 to 200 is relatively easy to adjust to. Once you get to 300 then you can perform load testing.  If your loads are accurate at 300 then they will usually perform well at greater distances.  The most import thing is to have a good spotter with good quality optics.  When I started shooting bptr John Boy was my spotter and mentor.  You can’t ask for a better teacher.  

Gringo

Archived