SASS Wire Forum

Coach Gun Double Trigger Gaurd is Smacking my #2 Finger

bgavin

I'm getting used to my double trigger Charles Daly every week at the trap range.

One thing I am noticing... my #2 finger is getting smacked pretty hard by the trigger guard when my trigger finger is on the forward trigger.
Is this a procedural problem, or ??
How do the experienced double trigger guys work around this?

I was getting cuts, and bruising from my trigger guard, the bruising hurt, the cuts were actually bad. 

I took some fine grain emery cloth and rounded the sharp edge of the trigger guard, this stopped the bleeding, the bruising also stopped.  

Also a firm grip on the wrist helps keep the gun from sliding back.  

I found it was mostly happening when shucking empties, not the firing of the rounds.  Perhaps the round your using for trap is a little heavy? 

There is nothing .. absolutely nothing "light" about "Target" ammunition no matter the claim on the label.  Ammunition commonly sold at Skeet and Trap Ranges is labeled "Light Target."  Loaded to give good velocity and pattern density out to 30 and 40 yards.  Those load are going to give you a pretty good thumping.  You may wish to switch to AA Low Noise - Low Recoil or even Fiocchi Trainer.  

The GAME we play doesn't have to break clay targets out to 40 yards.  Only has to reach out 10 yards.  Trap range ammo is like using a sledge hammer to swat flies.

Oh, and a firm grip a little farther back will help lots.

When I first started shooting I had a two trigger Stoeger and had the same problem.  I found that I was not holding the stock firmly against my shoulder and the shotgun was traveling farther back and slamming the trigger guard against my middle finger.  Try holding the shotgun firmly against your shoulder when you pull the trigger and see if that helps.

Kajun

Howdy bgavin,

When I first started, I had a Winchester 94 (didn't know any better), and a Baikal double trigger.  Back of my middle finger was getting bruised, but I wrongly assumed it was the unpadded lever (and a stiff action) on the rifle.  Later figured out it was the Baikal triggerguard.  I simply started gripping the wrist of the shotgun a wee bit further back, and that totally eliminated the problem.  For a few matches I had to concentrate on it, but it very shortly became my natural grip.  YMMV

1 hour ago, Krazy Kajun said:

When I first started shooting I had a two trigger Stoeger and had the same problem.  I found that I was not holding the stock firmly against my shoulder and the shotgun was traveling farther back and slamming the trigger guard against my middle finger.  Try holding the shotgun firmly against your shoulder when you pull the trigger and see if that helps.

Kajun

Not SASS, but I bought a Maverick 88 in case of rabid bears (rare but real here, I have a long-term bear family on my mountain and they will forage dead rabid raccoons.).

So, got some bear loads... Slugs. Long. heavy. Went to the range... Shot 20 rounds... Shoulder bruise the size of a grapefruit.

Hold the stock firmly against the shoulder. For CAS, I'm gonna load some puff loads like someone let me try, That was just plain fun! I had a huge grin!

As to the bears, they come ambling up my driveway every morning. Sometimes they clear out something in the accumulated pine needles in the driveway. They even clear the acorns off my deck every fall! Wish they would clean up the caps too, but they just spit them out and leave them.

Anyway they are cool and we don't shoot healthy bears around these parts, they were here first.

Anyway, back to talking about sore fingers... I agree, softer loads. Make it fun. And grab that gun and put it firmly against your shoulder.

as stated by colorado coffinmaker , buy light loads or load your own , the target has to go down but you do not have to beat yourself up to do it , the wraps and smoothing sharp edges are great ideas as well , a wad full of fluff and a but of shot will knock the target down , 

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Not SASS, but I bought a Maverick 88 in case of rabid bears (rare but real here, I have a long-term bear family on my mountain and they will forage dead rabid raccoons.).

So, got some bear loads... Slugs. Long. heavy. Went to the range... Shot 20 rounds... Shoulder bruise the size of a grapefruit.

Hold the stock firmly against the shoulder. For CAS, I'm gonna load some puff loads like someone let me try, That was just plain fun! I had a huge grin!

As to the bears, they come ambling up my driveway every morning. Sometimes they clear out something in the accumulated pine needles in the driveway. They even clear the acorns off my deck every fall! Wish they would clean up the caps too, but they just spit them out and leave them.

Anyway they are cool and we don't shoot healthy bears around these parts, they were here first.

Anyway, back to talking about sore fingers... I agree, softer loads. Make it fun. And grab that gun and put it firmly against your shoulder.

Remington STS hull, 45-50gr of Goex FFg black powder, Claybuster Gray wad, 7/8 oz lead 7.5 or 8 shot :D

This sometimes happens to me early in the season.  If I pay attention to my grip the problem takes care of it's self. And as per KK, Tuck it tight to shoulder.

Everyone is built differently, hands are not all the same size, etc. I'd get one of the more seasoned shooters to watch how you mount and hold the shotgun.

Even if it feels awkward at first, use a different grip or hand/finger position. It's not rocket science. The guard should not hurt your fingers even while shooting hot loads, the gun was not designed to shoot light loads only. You may be gripping the gun too tightly, it's hard to say considering we haven't seen you shoot the gun. 

I appreciate the comments about holding it farther back, but my first finger is JUST long enough reach my nose... ;)
This keeps my middle finger right up on the guard with my #1 finger on the forward trigger.

Yeah, the trap loads are Gun Club 1.125 oz, 1200fps stuff.
At then end of the morning, I decided to send one full load slug downrange... whooie... does that kick in a coach gun.
And that regular slug is only 438 grains, compared to 629 grains in #1 buckshot.

I'll fiddle with a wrap, or ?? when time permits.
Thanks for the replies.

I had the same problem.  After a while, I tried using the rear trigger first, then reached ahead for the front trigger on the second shot.  I think that caused me to grip farther back on the wrist.  I did that for a while and the bruising went away.  A couple of months later, I was using the front trigger first and did not notice switching.  I think I trained myself to grip farther back and then forgot about which trigger to get first.

If I was to recommend a fix, train yourself to grip farther back.

Chancy

I converted my doubles to English style stocks.  (straight stocks)  I converted my Baikal and Stoger and now they dont  crowd my hand up against the trigger guard.  A little time with a band saw and hand tools is all it takes.

Blackfoot

I seem to remember that some fancy shotgun site listed a rubber gizmo that attached to the rear of the trigger guard. The sight also sold fancy stuff like those hand guards that slip over the forend of an sxs and other expensive English stuff. I don't remember where I saw all this stuff as I either didn't need or couldn't afford any of it. 

Rev. Chase

32 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

I seem to remember that some fancy shotgun site listed a rubber gizmo that attached to the rear of the trigger guard. The sight also sold fancy stuff like those hand guards that slip over the forend of an sxs and other expensive English stuff. I don't remember where I saw all this stuff as I either didn't need or couldn't afford any of it. 

Rev. Chase

If you are referring to something like THIS ... it is NOT LEGAL.

trigger guard pad.jpg

One thing I am noticing... my #2 finger is getting smacked pretty hard by the trigger guard when my trigger finger is on the forward trigger.
Is this a procedural problem, or ??
How do the experienced double trigger guys work around this?

Trigger guards were NEVER designed for 2 fingers to be inside of it - one finger on front and 2nd finger on the back... especially if one has fat fingers. Options:

1.  Cut the bottom off the trigger guard if you don't know how to engage both triggers with one finger

2.  Learn how to operate with one finger - only using the index finger inside the trigger guard, pull front or back trigger and with same index finger pull the next trigger

3.  If your mind doesn't connect doing this ...buy a new shotgun with a single trigger with selective rebounding hammers

Have been a user of double trigger shotguns for 65 years, using  only using my index finger and can ignite both barrels almost instantaneously 

Another thread that the posters with replies are talking to themselves.  The OP’s last visit to the Wire was Friday at 11:16 PM on Friday .... 

Well, how about this?  I’m curious as to the source, and potential solution(s), of the OP’s question. There’s been good, consistent advice from experience here so far. I didn’t post a response because I’m not sure my remedy solves the problem.  But I suffered the same issue with one, out of two, identical Stevens 235’s. One crushes my Chicago, NY, LA-Driving Indicator finger, and one does not. They are identical except for this: one has an LOP of 14-1/2”, the other has an LOP of 13”.  When I added a slip-on pad to the 13”, no more damage to my driving finger. So, my question is: “Could it be the stock is too short, instead of the gripping style”? Just curious.

When I first started shooting Cowboy I would get a big old lump on my middle finger below the knuckle. I was an experienced shooter and it was NOT from pulling the stock in tight enough. I ended up switching to Winchester low noise/low recoil which helped but didn't entirely make it go away. Like Palewolf recommended what helped the most was taking some soft suede stripping and wrapping the back of the trigger guard. Problem solved!

On 5/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, John Boy said:

Another thread that the posters with replies are talking to themselves.  

The OP’s last visit to the Wire was Friday at 11:16 PM on Friday .... 

rigger guards were NEVER designed for 2 fingers to be inside of it - one finger on front and 2nd finger on the back... especially if one has fat fingers. Options:

1.  Cut the bottom off the trigger guard if you don't know how to engage both triggers with one finger

2.  Learn how to operate with one finger - only using the index finger inside the trigger guard, pull front or back trigger and with same index finger pull the next trigger

3.  If your mind doesn't connect doing this ...buy a new shotgun with a single trigger with selective rebounding hammers

Have been a user of double trigger shotguns for 65 years, using  only using my index finger and can ignite both barrels almost instantaneously 

For starters, the OP reads this every day, thank you.
It is not necessary to reply to each and every poster.
I learn more from listening, than from talking.

Next, the OP knows how to read and you apparently do not.
At no time did I state I have TWO fingers inside the trigger guard.
Perhaps in your 65 years of using double trigger shotguns, you are losing the ability to read.

If you don't like this snarky reply, I suggest you stop making them.
If you can't do anything except say nasty things, then stay silent.

For starters, the OP reads this every day, thank you.

The SASS software doesn't agree with this quote from you:

* Initial thread post =  Posted Wednesday at 04:36 PM May 20, 2020

* Per your profile -  last visit to the Wire was Friday at 11:16 PM, May 22, 2020 ... when I posted your timeline on Posted Sunday at 11:42 AM

* Elapsed time - Wednesday to Friday = 3 days and not one further word of further explanation 'exactly' where the 2nd finger is with all the subsequent posts,  including up to Sunday

Too help us all help you, go back to PaleWolfe's trigger guard picture on Saturday and tell us 'exactly' where your 2nd finger is respective to the trigger if it is not inside of of it

Might add, all my years of shooting double  trigger shotguns, the 2nd - 3rd and 4th fingers are wrapped around the stock removed from the trigger guard with the thumb wrapped on the opposite side of the stock ... completely away from the trigger guard

have been competing in SASS with my AyA 10 gauge 3-1/2" double ;loaded with warthog loads of Holy Black for decades. The last several years, I have had a finger bleeding problem. I attribute that to the strong heart medicine I have been taking which makes it very easy to bleed. I wrap my finger with gauze and seal it with a bandaid. That cures my bleeding problem.  ;)

El Reys have some interesting issues not shared with our younger pards.   :(

To sum it up:

Use lighter loads.

Grip the SG slightly further back with the trigger finger within reach of the front trigger.

Tuck that SG butt against your shoulder.

That's about sums it up.  Now go shoot and practice. :)

19 minutes ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

To sum it up:

Use lighter loads.

Grip the SG slightly further back with the trigger finger within reach of the front trigger.

Tuck that SG butt against your shoulder.

That's about sums it up.  Now go shoot and practice. :)

You forgot the thin leather wrap on the trigger guard. 

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You forgot the thin leather wrap on the trigger guard. 

That's your option.  I don't have leather wrap on my trigger guard and never had problem with smacking my finger.  IMO, leather wrap on the trigger guard MAY cause the rear trigger to get stuck or not able to travel far back enough and not release the trigger sear.  I guess if wrapped properly with enough clearance between the guard and trigger may not cause any problem but why risk it.  Properly gripping the SG and with light loads will do.  Just my .02 cents.   

Video ... how to hold and shoot a double barrel shotgun with 2 triggers ...   

Note the distance of the 2nd finger from the back of the guard and the thumb rapped around the stock at the bottom of the tang. 

For reference, I've been shooting a Stoeger with double triggers for around 7 years and absolutely love it.

My arms are not terribly long, so in addition to things like reasonable loads, a bit of finessing of certain mechanical aspects of the gun, pulling the butt plate firmly into the shoulder pocket, and so forth, we measured my length of pull and had the stock cut down to fit my body. I cannot overstate how much difference this made in my ability to not only shoulder the firearm, but also to rapidly load, trigger, shuck, repeat.

Also, be aware of how much finger is in the trigger. I don't have much more than the tips of my fingers on the triggers. Oh, yeah, notice I said fingerS and triggerS. From the time I pick up my shotgun until I ground it, my index & middle fingers are in their respective places within the trigger guard. I shuck over my shoulder with a quick jerk of my right hand while grabbing more shells, so, the firearm never leaves my shoulder. What I'm saying, is you do you. Find what works with the help of experienced competitors, then practice until it feels natural.

Archived