SASS Wire Forum

How could you prove you are a veteran?

Alpo

I just got a notice that my grocery store has military Monday. 10% off your total order for active duty, veterans, and dependants. With ID.

Active duty - no problem. You have an ID card. I understand they don't call it that anymore but, you have an ID card.

Dependants - again no problem. You have an ID card. Whether your sponsor is active duty or retired, you have an ID card.

But if you did one single four-year hitch. You are a veteran. What would you have that could prove it? I kind of doubt most people carry around a copy of their DD-214.

6 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Your Veteran's Administration Healthcare Enrolment card should do.

Duffield

Yeah, after I hit enter the VA card occurred to me.

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Never had one

Go to your nearest VA Hospital and get one.  Even if you never use their facilities it is a backup to what you have.

All Veterans should have one.

Duffield

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What Pat said. 

The Veterans Identification Card is clearly printed that it has nothing to do with any VA benefits. It simply means you don’t have to carry around a DD-214 to prove your status. 

It’s been helpful many times at restaurants and retail stores. 

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just got one a few months ago took awhile to get it but if you're not ij the VA medical system or retired military it's handier than carrying around a DD214.

VA.jpg

VA2.jpg

Howdy,

When getting out of the military I was told several times to register with the county 

where I was from.  If you did that and you might have even if you don't really remember

Check with the county.  They might help with verification and cards or whatever.

Best

CR

Something new happened at our local Fry's (Kroger) grocery store today.  The cashier asked my wife if she was a member of a military veteran family.  She said that she is, showed her retired military dependent ID card, and got 10% off the purchase! 

Don't know why?  Maybe a Memorial Day special???

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

I just got a notice that my grocery store has military Monday. 10% off your total order for active duty, veterans, and dependants. With ID.

Active duty - no problem. You have an ID card. I understand they don't call it that anymore but, you have an ID card.

Dependants - again no problem. You have an ID card. Whether your sponsor is active duty or retired, you have an ID card.

But if you did one single four-year hitch. You are a veteran. What would you have that could prove it? I kind of doubt most people carry around a copy of their DD-214.

I have my VA id card, my DD 214, and discharge papers from both the Army and the Corps.

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Something new happened at our local Fry's (Kroger) grocery store today.  The cashier asked my wife if she was a member of a military veteran family.  She said that she is, showed her retired military dependent ID card, and got 10% off the purchase! 

Don't know why?  Maybe a Memorial Day special???

My store. For the next month.

mail.png

I went in to get my Vet card a while back.Next thing I know I'm getting full medical benefits.There's all kinds of places to get discounts Lowes Sportsmans WarehouseHome Depot & many more if you check.

Largo

7 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

A lot of driver's licenses have a Veteran distinction on them.  In our state, Vets get their driver's license for free.

Best $15 I spent in a long time.  VETERAN in bold red letters at the bottom of my DL.  Use it all the time.  Your county court house should have someone in a veterans affairs office or similar to help you out.

Tell them I start my day with motrin and caffeine, and end it with more motrin and alcohol? No? Hmmm... I have my "gray area" retiree card, so it isn't an issue for me.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Just got one a few months ago took awhile to get it but if you're not ij the VA medical system or retired military it's handier than carrying around a DD214.

VA.jpg

VA2.jpg

They actually put a Home Depot logo on the card...

I am not sure if I think that’s funny or it’s a shame. 

9 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Go to your nearest VA Hospital and get one.  Even if you never use their facilities it is a backup to what you have.

All Veterans should have one.

Duffield

Not every veteran qualifies for VA hospital benefits. It depends on your income and if you have a service related health issue. I was turned down at first because I made too much money. I retried again based on a service injury and was turned down again because I made too much money and my injury didn't cause me enough problems. Seven years later my injury was causing more issues so I tried again. This time they agreed that my now advanced service related injury qualified me for VA access. I am still in the process of setting up my primary care doctor.

I scanned a shrunk version* of my DD-214 that's still readable, and have it in my wallet. 

* 4" x 6" folded in quarters

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

Not every veteran qualifies for VA hospital benefits. It depends on your income and if you have a service related health issue. I was turned down at first because I made too much money. I retried again based on a service injury and was turned down again because I made too much money and my injury didn't cause me enough problems. Seven years later my injury was causing more issues so I tried again. This time they agreed that my now advanced service related injury qualified me for VA access. I am still in the process of setting up my primary care doctor.

You may not qualify for free treatment, but they should have issued you an ID card stating that you are a veteran and what your treatment status was on your first visit.  That would get you treatment at a VA facility, even if you or your private insurance had to pay for it.

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I scanned a shrunk version* of my DD-214 that's still readable, and have it in my wallet. 

* 4" x 6" folded in quarters. 

That’s what I did. I still keep it in my wallet even though I have the card.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I believe Office Depot is helping to pay for the cost of the cards.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I believe Home Depot is helping to pay for the cost of the cards.

It’s nice that they do but it just looks wrong. 

On 5/20/2020 at 10:28 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Look closer... OFFICE DEPOT logo not Home Depot.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:26 PM, Tucker McNeely said:

Best $15 I spent in a long time.  VETERAN in bold red letters at the bottom of my DL.  Use it all the time.  Your county court house should have someone in a veterans affairs office or similar to help you out.

Kansas is the same,  VETERAN stamped in red on mine too.

Archived