SASS Wire Forum

Camera and microphone for video conf?

Since it looks like my workplace is settling into remote mode for an extended period, my boss has asked us all to purchase cameras and microphones for doing web based meetings.

does anyone in the Saloon have experience at such things, and can you recommend a good camera and a microphone to use during Web-based meetings?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Did you get the Logitech headset you asked about a while back? That should still be good for this application. Logitech also makes some good web cams, but I'll depend on others to address that as my work laptop has a good built in camera.

Oh and I almost forgot, double check you're wearing clothes when you get on a call...

Yes I've seen it happen accidently.

15 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Since it looks like my workplace is settling into remote mode for an extended period, my boss has asked us all to purchase cameras and microphones for doing web based meetings.

does anyone in the Saloon have experience at such things, and can you recommend a good camera and a microphone to use during Web-based meetings?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Computers have a camera and mike built into them.  Why not use them?

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

True. We use our cell phones and the App Zoom.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Some computers, just about every laptop. iPad or iPad mini is a great option too.

For business, a good laptop with a built in camera and a good headset should be more that sufficient. (Make sure you tape over the camera when it is not in use and unplug the headset) Make sure your background is not too "busy".

If you are going to be more formal then you need a camera with a tripod and a lapel microphone. Usually this will require a more controlled background and also some fill lighting to better illuminate you face and get rid of shadows.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Some computers, just about every laptop. iPad or iPad mini is a great option too.

Not my old (Windows 7) desktop.  My daughter left one for me last week, but I haven't unwrapped it or tried to figure it out yet.  Says it has a USB 2.0 connector, so that oughta work...maybe!

I've just gotten into using Zoom, which is a standard package used in educational circles. My sister-in-law makes a living using it training language teachers. My old Dell 11" laptop has a camera/mic built in. Toying with getting a camera for my desktop which is an older Dell with a 32" monitor, so am interested in responses to Charley Harley's question. BTW - Zoom has a bunch of background options available such as various outdoor scenery (mountains etc.).

My wife is using zoom for her Master Gardener classes.  My old computer does not have built in microphone or camera, so I got her a logitech headset. She still needed a camera.  I bought a cheap ($20) camera/microphone from Wal Mart that works just fine.

Duffield

I use teams for most of my telecommuting work.  When the company wants to get all of company on line for mgmt to talk to us all, they use zoom.

I like teams.  I log into the computer to use the remote access via Citrix and also join in on cell phone or ipad w/the teams app and talk via Bluetooth thru my JBL speaker or Airshokz bone conduction head set.  Teams is good enough that I am slightly annoyed there are a couple of meetings that still use a join call phone bridge.  

14 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Oh and I almost forgot, double check you're wearing clothes when you get on a call...

Yes I've seen it happen accidently.

That also applies to your spouse / significant other or anyone else wandering around the house.

21 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

A webcam camera on a tripod with remote control allows perspective and addition of body language instead of the closeups from sitting at a PC. The video resolution may be much better as well, although bandwidth limits may force favoring sound quality and continuity over picture quality, as we find with use of Zoom for music performance.  My shopping led me to put this item on my wish list. There are also memory cards and a tripod.

34 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

A webcam camera on a tripod with remote control allows perspective and addition of body language instead of the closeups from sitting at a PC. The video resolution may be much better as well, although bandwidth limits may force favoring sound quality and continuity over picture quality, as we find with use of Zoom for music performance.  My shopping led me to put this item on my wish list. There are also memory cards and a tripod.

A white shirt and tie type web meeting!

Charlie, I have no advice for you regarding a specific brand or model of a camera / microphone set up. At work I have a USB Camera and a USB headset with mike / earphones. I believe they are made by Logitech but I cannot remember. 
I am not at work now due to back surgery or I would look at the equipment and get the name & model numbers. 

What I can recommend is this. If you are planning on advancing up the ladder at work or you wish to maintain a professional appearance, having teleconferences is one good way to destroy or erode the opinions of your peers / management and all it takes is using crappy teleconference equipment. 

You will want a camera that works well in all lighting situations and produces a crisp picture. Moderate lighting is okay in person but on camera it can make you look less than stellar. 

I like a headset with a mike so I can:

1. easily mute the mike 
2. cuts down on background noise

3. keeps everything being said in your ears not out in the open on speakers

Having a separate camera and microphone versus built-in units on laptops makes it easier to control the inadvertent or accidental broadcast of images or sounds you don’t want others to hear. 

By quality equipment. A “crackly” microphone or a wobbly camera or a camera with so-so imaging and / or equipment that cuts in and out will make you look less professional. 

One last thing is to pick a well lighted area at home and test your set up with a friend on a remote PC or laptop. I did a Skype interview once using my HP laptop and it’s built in microphone and camera. On the laptop I thought I looked good with plenty of light. I had no way to test the mike. At the end of the interview I was told that they could barely make out what I was saying a few times because of a “hissing” noise. That noise was the very quiet (to me) return air duct for my HVAC. To me it was quiet but the microphone picked it up very well...too well. They also told me my image was dark on their end. It looked fine on my laptop. 
In other words, test your system in the environment you’ll use it in. 

Personally I hate teleconferencing, but it’s necessary sometimes. I treat every teleconference like an interview and I try to look and come across in the best way I can. 

Oh yeah, if you have pets they will find a way to be a part of your telecon. My dog seems to think that me staring at a laptop and talking means it’s time to come and bug me for a snack. :)

Logitech is hard to beat.  Not the cheapest, but they work well.  I'm on Zoom 4 to 10 hours a day using the earlier version of this camera/microphone combination.  https://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-Portable-Calling-Autofocus/dp/B004WO8HQ4/ref=pd_sim_147_1/138-4047851-2031047?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004WO8HQ4&pd_rd_r=a274a24d-333f-47e0-b6b4-e9b064fad074&pd_rd_w=ia7MR&pd_rd_wg=pAwfV&pf_rd_p=6f740e39-0c25-4380-8008-7a4156dab959&pf_rd_r=51FEEAVTG0JYZX0JWTK3&psc=1&refRID=51FEEAVTG0JYZX0JWTK3 

We even currently use one to live stream our church services.

Anyone else in this thread have to change their password this morning due to someone from Pacific Palisades trying to log on to your SASS account?

Archived