SASS Wire Forum

Opinions Wanted

Chickamauga Slim

I found a new rifle that I'd like to buy but need to raise some extra cash to make it happen. I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited (JM stamped) in 357/38spl with a shortened stock (12.5 lop). My wife used it until she fell in love with a '73.  I started SASS in 2008 with a Henry Big Boy, 45colt, that I already owned. It didn't take long for me to get fast enough to outrun it. They have both been in the safe unused for a while. So my question is, which one should I sell? Any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Chickamauga Slim 

Can you buy a new Marlin Cowboy Limited in case you get sellers remorse? No? Then sell the Henry.

My opinion, (everybody has one), is that the Marlin would sell fastest.  But you probably wouldn't use the Henry again, and you can use the Marlin as a backup, especially if you get a Widdermatic action job.

16 minutes ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

I found a new rifle that I'd like to buy but need to raise some extra cash to make it happen. I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited (JM stamped) in 357/38spl with a shortened stock (12.5 lop). My wife used it until she fell in love with a '73.  I started SASS in 2008 with a Henry Big Boy, 45colt, that I already owned. It didn't take long for me to get fast enough to outrun it. They have both been in the safe unused for a while. So my question is, which one should I sell? Any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Chickamauga Slim 

That Marlin sounds kinda familiar...

39 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That Marlin sounds kinda familiar...

Wonder why?  It seems unanimous that I should sell the Henry. Interestingly enough this is the same advice my wife gave me last night! So, I've never tried to sell a gun online. Where is the best place to post the Henry, I don't think anyone here would be interested in it. 

Opinion:

Sell the Henry Big Boy. 

Keep the Marlin:

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

Interestingly enough this is the same advice my wife gave me last night!

Wait! Wait! Wait! 

Your wife already told you what to do and you sneak in here for "advice"?

You, Sir, are very brave indeed. :lol:

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Wait! Wait! Wait! 

well I've never been accused of bravery, but I have been know to make errant choices from time to time. Running your comment through my memory bank makes me realize this is one of those times!

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Wait! Wait! Wait! 

Or a newlywed.

Let me put it this way... If you list the Marlin and my lady sees the post, she could buy it in a heartbeat.

If you list the Henry, she might let out a yawn. I'm sure if I tracked that listing, someone will buy it in a week or two.

If it were me, and if my lady is anything like your's... Sell the Henry! But if you go against my advice and that of your lady, I might show my lady your listing.

Just keep them all.You can never have too many GUNs.

Largo

7 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Remember a Married Man can Either Be Happy Or Right ....

Jabez Cowboy

JC, I've been married 44 years. My wife leaves the seat up for me & I leave it down for her. Often I'm happy & right, sometimes I'm happy & wrong. Either way, from 62 years of observing married couples and women in general, I won the wife lottery!

On 5/20/2020 at 11:43 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would put it in the Wire Classifieds, just in case, and also on Gunbroker.

I have sold everything from guns to outdoor gear to farm implements on Outdoors Trader, not sure where you’re located, but all of my transactions have been positive. Outdoors Trader covers Georgia.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, Chickamauga Slim said:

Wonder why?  It seems unanimous that I should sell the Henry. Interestingly enough this is the same advice my wife gave me last night! So, I've never tried to sell a gun online. Where is the best place to post the Henry, I don't think anyone here would be interested in it. 

I would make a different suggestion. If you have a reputable local gunshop that does consignment, seriously consider it.  They get to deal with potential buyers.  They get to advertise.  If something breaks, they get to deal with that too.  I have bought and sold gun online or through ads, but always felt more comfortable dealing directly with my local gunshop.  Yeah, they take a fee for the service, but I think it's well worth it.

15 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have sold everything from guns to outdoor gear to farm implements on Outdoors Trader, not sure where you’re located, but all of my transactions have been positive. Outdoors Trader covers Georgia.

Those guys at Wartrace all have confusing names Chickamauga Slim does not live in GA and Nantahala Ned does not live in NC...… Randy Saint Eagle can't even fly, just plain confusing.

Archived