SASS Wire Forum

No Baseball?

Yul Lose

The longer this covid-19 drags on the chances of MLB returning this year are fading. I just saw on the news that the A’s can’t come up with stadium rent this month. The League came up with a 167 page set of guidelines that to a lot of people view as unworkable. We may have to swallow the no baseball pill here pretty quick.

I'm tracking the MLB season will begin in July, shortly after the 4th of July weekend.  I just checked www.mlb.com and it doesn't say anything about  a potential start date / cancellation.  I got the information from Fox News a few weeks ago.  Where are you hearing that it won't go at all?

I was watching Korean Baseball this morning for a little bit on ESPN. No fans, why hasn't the MLB already started? I think the players are holding it up, last I heard they want their full salary! That's gonna p^&% off a bunch of fans including this one!!:angry:

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I'm tracking the MLB season will begin in July, shortly after the 4th of July weekend.  I just checked www.mlb.com and it doesn't say anything about  a potential start date / cancellation.  I got the information from Fox News a few weeks ago.  Where are you hearing that it won't go at all?

I think you are mistaken about what I posted. Nobody said it won’t go at all. I’M saying I have my doubts because there are big disagreements  between the owners and players, players and players and owners and owners. I want to see it played too but as each day passes my doubts build. Not long ago May 15 was the start date, then June 1, then July 4th weekend. Early on they said NFL and college football wouldn’t be affected and they got that wrong too.

I get amused by information coming out that landlords will evict tenants, home, business and now stadium.

Question for landlords: Who have you got lined up to fill the vacant space you have just evicted someone from?

And how long will that space be vacant making you no money?

Maybe it would be a better to come to an agreement to let the tenant repay the over an extended period, once they are back making money and able to do so?

Time will tell. Hope springs eternal.

Here's a thought. Most businesses in tough times would take steps to preserve the business. So when it's over, they can still be in business. Steps such as cutting overhead, reduced salaries, layoffs, re-negotiate contracts, line of credit.

SO why don't they cut the salaries of all the players by 50%? They'd still be making millions but some of the bills could get paid. And save the business.

23 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Here's a thought. Most businesses in tough times would take steps to preserve the business. So when it's over, they can still be in business. Steps such as cutting overhead, reduced salaries, layoffs, re-negotiate contracts, line of credit.

SO why don't they cut the salaries of all the players by 50%? They'd still be making millions but some of the bills could get paid. And save the business.

The players union is arguing about half salary and revenue sharing. At this point from what I understand it’s the players holding this up. Very disappointing !

They’ll come to some agreement.  
Either that, or they self destruct.

i doubt that collectively, they are that foolish.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Ike, I suspect that the contracts that each player has, plus the player's union prohibit what you are suggesting.  But, I too hope that they'll get their collective acts together and PLAY BALL!!

3 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Ike, I suspect that the contracts that each player has, plus the player's union prohibit what you are suggesting.  But, I too hope that they'll get their collective acts together and PLAY BALL!!

You are correct BGQ. The sports talk I listened to this morning says the two sides are far apart.

Archived