SASS Wire Forum

All of them should be standing in the unemployment line.

Fence Cutter

Can you name me a profession that is worse at doing their job then weathermen / weather forecasters, and yet they get to keep their job?

And no, I don't want to hear politician. They are in a separate category of flat-out liars. 

1 minute ago, Fence Cutter said:

Can you name me a profession that is worse at doing their job then weathermen / weather forecasters, and yet they get to keep their job?

And no, I don't want to hear politician. They are in a separate category of flat-out liars. 

CNN reporters 

The weather forecasters claim to be scientists, what a joke they are lucky to be able to tell you what happened yesterday. Who else could be so wrong so often and still have a job.

Remember these are the same people pushing the global warming agenda 

in the SF bay area they can  phone it in  foggy morning clearing by 9am

The climate has been changing since God created the earth  5 ice ages sooo far 

it seems to shut the CO2 hoaxer  up 

how about the CA Doj that takes 15 day for waiting period when just had 2 gun clear 

but for the good news my local range opened   with just 7 lanes 

we wore mask in 20 mph wind of the SF bay 

best thing about range you meet 20 strangers that just became friends 

not like a cowboy shoot but we had great time 

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

in the SF bay area they can  phone it in  foggy morning clearing by 9am

The climate has been changing since God created the earth  5 ice ages sooo far 

it seems to shut the CO2 hoaxer  up 

(in best professional newscaster voice)
"Night and morning low clouds and fog, burning off mid-morning to become (mostly) sunny.  Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s."  
As summer goes along it changes to "Highs in the 80s, lows in the 50s.

Some that give a forecast for a larger area will add things like "Highs in the 90s well inland" never saying what that means.

One thing that irks me is the trend over the last few years of the over use of "mild" or 'milder."  What the heck does that mean?  Have a day of, oh, 75 F and the forecaster will say "Tomorrow will be a few degrees milder."  To ME that means cooler.  They mean warmer.  

My grandson told me that he wanted to be aTV weather man.  I asked him why.

"Because you get to wear great clothes, everyone knows who you are so you're almost famous, the pay is over the top, and you can be wrong almost all the time and never get fired.  Besides, you have to be good looking and Grandpa, you know how handsome I am."

Now, I wonder where he got that brass from.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"Because you get to wear great clothes, everyone knows who you are so you're almost famous, the pay is over the top, and you can be wrong almost all the time and never get fired.  Besides, you have to be good looking and Grandpa, you know how handsome I am."

Try not to stand too tall....With a smile....

Texas Lizard

How about the dumb a$$ feel good advice t.v. weathermen give .......

You may be able to open a window tomorrow. 

Don't forget to water your pets. 

Take along an umbrella. 

Don't forget your jacket. 

Wear a scarf and mittens.

Keep a shovel in your car.

Get out and enjoy the weekend.

Check on your neighbors. 

Use your sunscreen. 

Take shelter in your safe place.

Mind your own business......

13 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The weather forecasters claim to be scientists, what a joke they are lucky to be able to tell you what happened yesterday. Who else could be so wrong so often and still have a job.

Remember these are the same people pushing the global warming agenda 

I'm in the Cleveland area and I can predict just as well as the forecasters here if I look at Chicago's weather the day before. Juts as close as the weather guessers!

14 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Yes, public agency upper management, consultants that suck the life blood from public agencies and about 1/2 of every public agency’s work force. 

I used to teach my operators at the wastewater plants to watch the deer and ducks. Sucks flying hard and feeding heavy? Storm coming. Feeding all day ? Put the plows on. Deer out feeding through the morning and or afternoons? Storm coming.

From my grandpa: 

Whether the weather be cold

Whether the weather be hot

We'll weather the weather

Whatever the weather

Whether we like it or not

In my area, perhaps more predictable in the Piedmont foothills,  weather forecasts are impressively accurate, and I think weather forecasts are respected. They do make or break whether a match will be held.

Billions of dollars spent on satellites, software, computer modeling, historical projections and yet they get it wrong. 90% of the weather people on TV are talking heads. None of them are actual meteorologists. So when they get it wrong it's, 'I was reading from the teleprompter so'!

Ike

I have told my children and grandchildren...Do you know what happens to little kids who lie?  They grow up to be weather forecasters! :P:rolleyes:

There are lies, damned lies and some weather forecasts!   One of the first TV weathermen was Clint Yule, who worked for a Chicago station.  Back then, he had to draw the fronts on a celluloid map with a grease pencil.  He was also a sort of cartoonist, and his chief character was "The vice-president in charge of looking out the window!"  Not sure how often he was right or wrong, but he was entertaining.  When I was in college in downstate Illinois, and flying light planes I could predict the WX just about as accurately as the local met guys.  Can sometimes tell about WX along the Front Range of Colorado, although it can be real difficult.  We can get different kinds of weather from about two blocks North or South of the portion of C-470 that runs East and West along Denver's southern suburbs.  A climatologist I talked to once said I was wrong, but I've seen it clear on one side and snowing on the other!

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’s not an exact science.

That and the forecast is going to be for the largest city in the area. If you live 15 miles from town the weather is going to be different. Best source for accurate weather I have found is at 

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=32.7782&lon=-96.7951

Enter the closest town to where you live and it will give you a point forecast for your specific location. It even gives a pretty good hourly forecast.

Keep in mind that about 36 hours out is the limit for decent accuracy and more than 72 hours out is just an educated guess.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:07 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That's M101 A1 brass right there.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:33 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

CNN reporters 

CNN and Fox News are very good at what they are paid to do, which is spin a yarn for an audience that is completely devoid of anything resembling a fact. The only difference between the two are the target audience. 

On 5/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

CNN reporters 

"Oh, I'm sorry, Rye. That's an incorrect answer. CNN reports, along with CBS,ABC, NBC, MSNBC, NY Times, WA Post, and News Week are actually part of the Democratic Party and as such are considered politicians. We'll have to deduct 30 points from your community reputation score." 

Howdy,

One winter weekend after weekend weather was snowy so NO Fun.

One weekend snow was predicted so I decided to skip going out.

The weather was clear and nice.  I missed an event and was SOOOO ticked off.

Weather folks congratulated each other on the great weather.

If my computer programs had the same kind of problems we would still

be suffering with Y2K problems.

There is one other profession, baseball players. Their hitting percentage is a joke.

Best

CR

On 5/20/2020 at 8:45 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

It's usually easy here in the summer. Fair and hot. 98% accuracy.

JHC:D

On 5/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Here on the Gulf Coast you can add "humid" too

Summer in Houston...

high of 98 degrees, with 98% humidity and a 98% chance of afternoon thundershowers.

Archived