SASS Wire Forum

44-40 cylinders

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Just ordered two 44-40 cylinders, for my Bisley Vaqueros, from Al Story in New Mexico. 

I had asked around about these and found some positive reviews. Lady that took my call said cylinder throats are cut for 44 mag/special barrels  (.429). These are unfluted cylinders.

5-6 month wait....... I'll post my thoughts at that time. Available in hot blued finish only. They will be going into stainless guns.

I'm not educated about metal finishing processes.....I wondered if hot blued cylinders could be hard chromed or nickle plated, and how cylinders in those finishes would look in a stainless frame. Are there any adverse reactions between different finishes/alloys?  Also, the cost to hard chrome/nickel a cylinder?

And I may just leave them be....

Just my opinion but a blue grip frame and blue cylinder on a stainless frame looks pretty all right. But yes the blueing can be stripped and it can be nickel plated. Not sure what a chrome or nickel plate would cost from a pro shop but nickel plating can be done at home. Fairly simple process and inexpensive setup. But I'd recommend practicing on a few different pieces before tackling something expensive.

Yes.

http://www.brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm

They said they have been doing them for quite some time and always have a back order for these. As of my order, 10 cylinders to do now, but a backlog of other work. 4 people total. Cylinders get made when time permits. 

No email. No credit card payments. Phone or USPS only.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they work. I have 5- 44 mag Rugers I can use them in, currently no 44-40 pistols but still have one 44-40 rifle.

4 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Just my opinion but a blue grip frame and blue cylinder on a stainless frame looks pretty all right. But yes the blueing can be stripped and it can be nickel plated. Not sure what a chrome or nickel plate would cost from a pro shop but nickel plating can be done at home. Fairly simple process and inexpensive setup. But I'd recommend practicing on a few different pieces before tackling something expensive.

I thought blued might look just fine too.  Just wondering my options. A pard has a Marlin 44-40 with an in the white bolt in a blued frame and dang if it don't set it apart...in a good way....

1 hour ago, Blue Speirman said:

Dan, You have a friend here at home who can answer and advise you. Hawk ,If you want to contact him .My number has not changed. Talon

HA! Talon!  I mean Blue Speirman! Cutter and I just talked about you the other day! He rented me a trencher and sold me another chain saw. I'll call ya this week for sure!

Personally, I’d think about it.  I’ve been through something  similar myself, so I’m just speaking from experience.  Unfluted means less work.   And (rhetorically), 5-6 months out(?); what did you have to “put up” in advance to order these cylinders?  Additionally,  if they are late on their delivery, what percent of cost do they give up?  

Also, what happens if the  cylinders do not fit your revolvers?  Shouldn’t the supplier be responsible for a percentage off, plus  back and forth shipping, if the cylinders don’t fit?  Plus, shouldn’t your parts in that circumstance should be in front of any work the supplier has pending, not 30-60 days, etc. later?  They must finish their work before you are “all in,” otherwise they have no incentive to take care of you.  I suggest you hold back at least 20% until they make acceptable delivery on these custom parts.

Anyway, all that is your business; I’m just offering a couple things to consider, based on my own experience.  In such cases I believe a supplier must be invested, just as I am.  If they’re not willing to be, that’s something I’d consider going in.  In my mind, trust and responsibility goes both ways.  They’re not working from prints; they’re working from examples.

Anyway, I’m not trying to get in your business; I’m just offering some experience.

Cat Brules

10 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Just ordered two 44-40 cylinders, for my Bisley Vaqueros, from Al Story in New Mexico. 

I had asked around about these and found some positive reviews. Lady that took my call said cylinder throats are cut for 44 mag/special barrels  (.429). These are unfluted cylinders.

5-6 month wait....... I'll post my thoughts at that time. Available in hot blued finish only. They will be going into stainless guns.

I'm not educated about metal finishing processes.....I wondered if hot blued cylinders could be hard chromed or nickle plated, and how cylinders in those finishes would look in a stainless frame. Are there any adverse reactions between different finishes/alloys?  Also, the cost to hard chrome/nickel a cylinder?

And I may just leave them be....

Send it to  Fords Custom Gun Refinishing 

https://fordsguns.com/

I send them parts I sell that are brush chrome plated to match Rossi Stainless rifles. Send your grip frame or ejector house so they can match it.

17 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Personally, I’d think about it.  I’ve been through something  similar myself, so I’m just speaking from experience.  Unfluted means less work.   And (rhetorically), 5-6 months out(?); what did you have to “put up” in advance to order these cylinders?  Additionally,  if they are late on their delivery, what percent of cost do they give up?  

Also, what happens if the  cylinders do not fit your revolvers?  Shouldn’t the supplier be responsible for a percentage off, plus  back and forth shipping, if the cylinders don’t fit?  Plus, shouldn’t your parts in that circumstance should be in front of any work the supplier has pending, not 30-60 days, etc. later?  They must finish their work before you are “all in,” otherwise they have no incentive to take care of you.  I suggest you hold back at least 20% until they make acceptable delivery on these custom parts.

Anyway, all that is your business; I’m just offering a couple things to consider, based on my own experience.  In such cases I believe a supplier must be invested, just as I am.  If they’re not willing to be, that’s something I’d consider going in.  In my mind, trust and responsibility goes both ways.  They’re not working from prints; they’re working from examples.

Anyway, I’m not trying to get in your business; I’m just offering some experience.

Cat Brules

I appreciate your concern.

Archived