SASS Wire Forum

Aging New Vaqueros

Captain Curly Strait

Not certain if the pictures will post, but I’d like to “age” my newest Vaqueros. If the pictures post, the first image should be of one new and one with some of the bluing polished off, both with bone grips. Second image should be both polished with walnut grips. As I’ve removed 60-70% of the original finish, they appear “shiny”.  I’ve experimented with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown, but not happy with the results. Any suggestions on how to brown them up aside from burying them in the yard? I’d like them to look 100-years old but won’t live that long for time to do it naturally. 

Thanks in advance for your input!

Capt. Curly Strait

35C2F5D1-05E7-42EA-9363-50A40DD48254.jpeg

E14BD8A7-F201-4D00-98FF-FFAEF62158F1.jpeg

Try putting mustard on a small hidden area and let it dry on there for a day or so. 
If you like the way it looks, smear away!

If you think the stain is too dark, it will polish down easily enough.

I know several blade makers who use mustard to put a patina on their new blades.

My advice is to leave the guns alone in their holsters, and switch holsters several times a week.  You aren’t going to be pleased with ANY result you get from artificially trying to “age” them.

Cat Brules

I have never figured out why, when we are portraying folks from the mid-late 19th Century, we want to age our guns to look 100 years old.  True, there would have been some wear and tear back then, but not 100+ years worth.  One reason you may have trouble aging the metal on Ruger guns is the alloy steel from which they are made.  Oh, well, best of luck and stay well, Pards!

Captain Curly Strait asked for suggestions on how to do it.  I read his post again and didn’t see that he was asking to be talked out of it.  I gave him what he asked for.

I aged mine by shooting thousands of rounds over the years!!!   :(

I'm new to this game, but I never have understood wanting the guns to look 100+ years old.  The cowboys, drifters, gamblers and lawmen that used the firearms then would have had guns that looked new because they WERE new guns... at that time.

Guns with honest wear and tear is one thing but I just don't get the "aging" appeal.

i think the point is to make them look vintage and well used and worn as if they were an everyday tool , none were bought that way but most got to looking like that when they were carried/worn/used , i believe there was no implication that they were purchased looking like that , 

in the end its all what you like and mine are worn from use as ive not tried this aging effort but i do see the appeal and ive enjoyed all the input regarding it , i never jnew of the 'mustard' approach , but ill say they turned out great , can you get the smell off when they look like you want them to ?? i think it might make me hungry ......

First and foremost, “Thank You Very Much” to all who responded!!!  Much appreciated!

Secondly, I have four Colt SAA’s as new, and four Ruger New Vaqueros, one SASS pair as new, plus the ones in the photos. But I also have a few old Winchester rifles who are showing their age, an 1886 from ‘87, an 1886 from ‘88, and a 1873 from ‘91.  They appear to have been “ridden hard and put up wet” more than once in their lifetime. When I take these wonderful oldies to shoot alongside my new New Vaqueros, my OCD kicks in and I want my whole outfit to match. Don’t want to look like a tinhorn toting new pistols with notches cut in them for show.  Just some honest wear and tear, indicative of the time and lifestyle. Hence my question. 

J-Bar, thanks for the tip!  I’ll give it a try.

Doc Roy, thanks for the kind words. That was four hours of tedious and cautious polishing using Flitz and a paper towel. Just left them a bit shiny in spots that “might shouldn’t be” shiny otherwise. 

Warden Callaway, thanks for sharing!  I’ve followed some of your recent posts and you appear to have an exquisite collection of fine firearms. If I had your money, I’d burn mine. Very nice restoration on the Colts!  It is a shame to intentionally damage those beautiful SAA’s!  So, I’m doing it to Rugers. 

Mud Marine, excellent break-in strategy!  If I only had the time and money. 

Again Pards, Many Thanks to Y’all! Hope to meet you some day down the trail. I’ll be the bald guy who misses faster than everyone else. 

Most Sincerely,

Curly

11 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Took me a while to find the photo.  Mustard patina on (formerly blued) ROAs:

1427057662_ScreenShot2020-05-19at10_46_06AM.png.9c51214df7aef9609817e14162275fa2.png

Man, those are great looking Old Armies.

Archived