SASS Wire Forum

Carrying .38-55 rounds to the line for Plainsman

Hey y'all, I'm trying Plainsman for the first time this summer, shooting an H&R 1871 .38-55 rifle. I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm going to take my rifle rounds up to the line and keep them handy to load with. How are you fine folks who shoot Plainsman handling your rifle rounds?

Thanks!

I wear my 38 special gun belt with room for twenty five rounds for my 38-55 rounds. I shoot the same rifle and when I do my part the rifle does just fine. Enjoy the rifle. DC

I bought a slide off flea-bay and put it on my shotgun belt. Hold 10 45/70

1st choice: a canvas ammo belt with rifle rounds separated in groups of two.

2nd choice: a possibles pouch.

We have shotgun belts that hold rounds in groups of two close to where they are loaded.  I grab two rounds at a time.  Pouches are OK but the distance from the pouch to the rifle chamber is greater and the rounds may not be well-alligned.   A belt works best for me.  Loading the rifle is the most time-consuming task in Plainsman.  Rifle loading efficiency is essential for good stage times.  Yes, I too carry extra rounds in case I fumble and drop a round.

Most Plainsman matches & other types shoot from under cover with loading tables at each position. Just lay the extra rounds on the loading table and pickup your spent cases off the ground when finished. Efficient way to decrease your match time with less fumbling out of a bag or out of a belt. Plus the round count is right in front of you

Where I shoot Plainsman side matches, just pick up a pile in you hand and set 'em out where you're gonna shoot em.  Since I normally shoot Cap Guns anyway I also stuff a couple of extras in my capper pouch.

:D  This would also apply to 45-70 or 44 Mag or 45 Colt or whatever your shooting Plainsman with.  Not just 38-55.  I also shoot 38-55 with a Handi Rifle.  Really FUN!!

Pockets work real well........

Or just get a cartridge slide off Amazon or Ebay for $15 or have a nice one made by one of our good SASS leather vendors for $35-$45

61AU3aYyclL._AC_SL1106_.jpg

I wear a Bandoleer so for Plainsman I put a 38-55 slide over my pistol belt with 8 loops, positioned at the front.

As I use the H & R  ejector model with a shortened 20'' barrel  I  can grab up to 4 at a time, my method  is load, fire, open, cock, load, fire, open etc etc...the rifle doesn't leave my shoulder

On 5/19/2020 at 10:24 AM, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

I use two belts stacked.

Rifle on top belt SG on bottom belt.

:)

This is what I do shooting my 45-70 Browning. Charlie your going to have a blast shooting Plinsman! Hope you are doing well my friend.

Scout

On 5/24/2020 at 4:29 AM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

This is what I do shooting my 45-70 Browning. Charlie your going to have a blast shooting Plinsman! Hope you are doing well my friend.

Scout

I am indeed well, and hope that your are as well. Really busy at the moment.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

I use a canvas bandolier, keeps rounds up high, so quicker to grab.

I usually grab three or four, depending on the stage.

Handi Rifle 45-70.

Thanks!

Archived