SASS Wire Forum

Okay now that we’ve blasted some Duke films

On 5/19/2020 at 1:17 AM, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I liked a lot of his movies and watch them all the time.

I would rate the Shootist as one of the best.

Mostly I liked the ending and how he talked about the person that could not shoot being the one that would do him in.

The other statement that stood out to me was if you need to shoot, don't hesitate, just do it.

He got shot in the back and Ron Howard shot the bartender, realized what he did, threw the gun and walked out and said nothing.

John Wayne lived just long enough to see what happened, and shook his head in approval. 

I saw it when I was a freshman in High school if i remember correctly.

Gee, thanks for the spoiler! :P

I thought they ruined the ending, myownself.

Glendon Swarthout - the guy that wrote the book they based the movie on - has Gillom take the two guns, wrap them up in his coat and sneak them out of the bar, and take them home.

That was a much more believable scenario.

Rio Bravo is hard not to like. 

The flick is a real mish-mash in a lot of ways. They were big into that ensemble casting then. So you've got Wayne in his prime. You've got the best-ever sidekick/character actor of the era, Walter Brennan. You've got your star from the 'crooner' generation, Dean Martin. Then you cast the youngster the kids like, Ricky Nelson. On top of it all, you bring in the hottest newcomer around, Angie Dickinson. The plot is about as basic a Western one there is.

The whole crazy thing....works.

When I was about 10 years old, my Dad took me to see Red River. WE both enjoyed the movie, and seeing it with my Dad

made it all the more so. We often laughed in later years, about the long horns and wondered if they just kept the same

ones running through different scenes. 

Later when The Quiet Man came out it became a Father/son ritual to come together for one of Dad's famous Bar B Qs

and then watch the movie over a cold brew. 

“The Cowboys”.

Poor Bruce Dern.  I believe I read or saw something on TV where Bruce Dern said that even his own kids couldn’t believe he killed John Wayne!  He caught a lot of negative publicity because of how WELL he played the role of a psychopathic Western outlaw!

Cat Brules

I don’t think anyone has mentioned The Sands of Iwo Jima or The Longest Day yet.  John Wayne got an Oscar nomination for Sands, and The Longest Day got two Oscar nominations...both pretty decent and entertaining movies.

I'm in for Rio Grande. 

(I know what y'all were expecting, but they killed his dog in that one.)

I'm also a huge Ben Johnson fan.

Yo!

Speaking of, @Utah Bob #35998 I got some off hand uniform questions if you have time and a mind to.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I'm in for Rio Grande. 

(I know what y'all were expecting, but they killed his dog in that one.)

I'm also a huge Ben Johnson fan.

Yo!

Speaking of, @Utah Bob #35998 I got some off hand uniform questions if you have time and a mind to.

I am also a big fan of Ben Johnson, i.e. Corporal Tyree.

Ben just fit the bill of Cowboy/pony soldier in my book.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Quiet Man, Sands of Iwo Jima, Red River, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, The Alamo, The Son's of Katie Elder, McClintock, El Dorado, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Chisom, Big Jake, True Grit, Hondo, The Shootist, The Cowboys, Stagecoach, and many more. His crowning achievement though was The Conquerer - for such an established star to survive such a cringe worthy film and to go on to do so many other quality films bespeaks his enduring star quality.  Though I will say in quality The Conquerer fares well against say Battlefield Earth. 

Enjoyable films, The Hell Fighters, North to Alaska, Hatari, Donovans Reef, Fort Apache, Rio Grande, The Comancheros, The Three Godfathers, Rio Lobo, The Horse Soldiers, They Were Expendable, Wake of the Red Witch, Flying Tigers, The Fighting Seabees, The War Wagon, The Undefeated (just because of the line "Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation").

18 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I am also a big fan of Ben Johnson, i.e. Corporal Tyree.

Ben just fit the bill of Cowboy/pony soldier in my book.

Ben Johnson was the real deal.

So was Slim Pickens.

If you want a great story, though, read up on Jack Elam. How he got into the biz was very interesting (and relates to his eyes) and some of his quotes are awesome. 

My absolute favorites:

1.  3 God Fathers 1948 John Wayne, Harry Carey Jr, Pedro Armendariz

https://youtu.be/GqlUqWH17AI

2.  The Quiet Man 1952 John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond. 

3.  Angel and the Badman   1947 John Wayne, Gail Russell, Harry Carey, Bruce Cabot 

Next:

True Grit

The Shootist

The Cowboys

The Green Berets

Rooster Cogburn

and all the rest. 

On 5/19/2020 at 12:06 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Hatari!

For fun, Donovan's Reef

Horse Soldiers

In Harms Way

But all in all, SWMBO and I love them all and have them on DVDs

That one followed by Hatari are all time favorites.  I like just about everything he did except the newer modern ones.  He did "Shepard of the hills" and it was terrible.  

OH Yeah!

HATARI !

How could I have forgotten that one?

I have it as a DVD on the shelf as well.

Raining here tomorrow and I won't be able to lounge on the rear deck, so we'll watch that.

Thank goodness for TCM and their movie selection.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m late to the party, but I’m playing anyway (no order).  These are my favorites:

1) The Shootist

2) The Shepherd of the Hills

3)  In Harm’s Way

4). The Searchers

5). True Grit (the only western he made that I got to see in a movie theatre 1969)

6). The Man Who Shot LV.

As a huge fan since childhood I enjoy everything from the 20’s on forward throughout the Duke’s career. I do have a special place for the Shootist. The buffet in the photo is from the house in Carson City NV. Where it was filmed. We purchased at the auction of the home and contents. At the time had too many irons in the fire to buy the house but when the buffet came up I held my hand up until I owned it. Due to the current leadership these are the only firearms I can “legally” display, the real Duke collectors are unfortunately safe bound. 

image.jpg

Archived