SASS Wire Forum

WTC. RIFLE AND PISTOL COCKED IN HAND

Hoss

we may have had this before in a WTC thread, but could not remember. 

stage is Pistol rifle shotgun

shooter leaves one in pistol, safely holstered, picked up rifle, was levering when TO & counters hollered “1 more in pistol” shooter held rifle, cocked, safely pointed down range, drew pistol, fired last round, holstered pistol, continued with rifle.  In less time than it took me to type this! 

I know cannot have 2 Loaded pistols in hand (unless gunfighter) but could not find rule covering this. I made it a no-call. What say the campfire? 

Could the shooter ask for a reshoot because of TO interference??  A live round left in the pistol is only a miss.  Calling out that there is one left in the pistol creates a time and safety issue and probably confuses the shooter somewhat.

15 minutes ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

Could the shooter ask for a reshoot because of TO interference??  A live round left in the pistol is only a miss.  Calling out that there is one left in the pistol creates a time and safety issue and probably confuses the shooter somewhat.

If there hadn't been a round in the pistol the shooter could ask for a reshoot.  In this case there was a round in the pistol.  Proper coaching is not grounds for a reshoot.

The TO and spotters stated a fact.  The shooter holstered the revolver with a round left.   The shooter owns the stage and was given correct information.  No reshoot.

16 minutes ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

Once holstered, the round in the pistol is only a miss..  With a cocked rifle in hand, shooter focusing on rifle sequence, it seems to be very distracting to me to have someone calling out about something that is not an issue.  You may not be distracted by TO advising you that there is a MISS in a pistol that you have already holstered, and yes the TO was only stating a true fact but it was an unnecessary  and distracting in my opinion.

Very impressive and a good call on the shooters part. He could not lay down the rifle nor could he de-cock it. As long as he stayed safe... No Call.

14 minutes ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

Once holstered, the round in the pistol is only a miss..  With a cocked rifle in hand, shooter focusing on rifle sequence, it seems to be very distracting to me to have someone calling out about something that is not an issue.  You may not be distracted by TO advising you that there is a MISS in a pistol that you have already holstered, and yes the TO was only stating a true fact but it was an unnecessary  and distracting in my opinion.

Once holstered the round in the pistol is nothing, UNTIL the next gun is fired.  It's the TO's job to point out things like rounds left in guns.  Shooters who don't want that can ask that the TO not speak to them during the course of fire.  The TO can choose to follow that request, or not, it's not up to the shooter.

Years ago at a state match I had a cowboy tell me not to speak to him during the course of fire, nor to allow the timer to come into his peripheral vision.  I did my best to abide by that.  When he set his Marlin down with a piece of brass still in the chamber I didn't say a word and allowed him to move to his shotgun to finish the stage.  After the stage was over I silently pointed to the brass and gave him his 10 second MSV.  

Regardless of what the shooter wants, if I'm the TO and see something that I believe is truly unsafe or something that really needs to be addressed I'm going to say something.  If the shooter wants to avoid being spoken to then don't do things that prompt the TO to intervene, like leaving live rounds in guns.

23 minutes ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

28v1v4.jpg.e6b24b14c277c6a4860fca319b9b7612.jpg

Dang, sometimes I feel like I have two left hands, now I know why PW is so good. Looks like he has two right hands.:rolleyes:

Hoss...

Did shooter move to another position to pick up rifle? If so, did he fire the pistol from the rifle position? (I assume he didn't move back to pistol position with cocked rifle in hand.)

Sounds from your description that it was a real situation. Interesting one...

RR

30 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

Hoss...

Did shooter move to another position to pick up rifle? If so, did he fire the pistol from the rifle position? (I assume he didn't move back to pistol position with cocked rifle in hand.)

RR

+1

Yep ... was just gonna ask the same thing ... If this was a stand and deliver stage ... 

The other question I might have is the fact the shooter had two loaded guns in hand when he fired the last round.  Aren't gunfighters the only ones that can do that?

Just now, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

The other question I might have is the fact the shooter had two loaded guns in hand when he fired the last round.  Aren't gunfighters the only ones that can do that?

And by loaded I mean chambered with a live round.

IF 

1 minute ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

That only applies to two loaded REVOLVERS.

1 minute ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

SHB pg 6

The competitor shall not have two loaded revolvers in hand at once. (This may be corrected before cocking either one without penalty.)

2 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Hoss...

RR

Rifle & pistol from same spot 

7 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Hoss...

RR

Even if it wasn't a stand and deliver, the shooter could have opened the action of the rifle, move back to the pistol position, holding the rifle, shoot the pistol, move back to the rifle position, close the action and keep shooting. 

On 5/19/2020 at 10:01 AM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I went to college with a kid who had two functional right thumbs - - and one heck of a solid grip.  

On 5/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Situation easily avoided...learn to count.

five.jpgfive.jpg

:P

Amen! However, I agree with @Arkansas Harper about distraction. If I’ve holstered a pistol (I shoot gunfighter), let me go...I think it’s a situation by situation call depends on the TO and the shooter. If I’m running the timer, I pretty much know if @Captain Bill Burt is shooting he’s got it but if a newer or less

experienced shooter is shooting, it can be distracting and even dangerous to try to save a miss...

Big hugs...

Scarlett

Archived