SASS Wire Forum

Bench Block and brass catcher question

Those of youse guys that are professional and amateur gunsmiths, I am going to get me a bench block.  I'm tired of holding a gun two handed and trying to put in a screw, drive a pin or fit a part with the third hand.  I am looking for feedback on which bench block to get.  I don't want the steel one and mar the finish on my guns so I am looking at the nylon  one and the over sized one.  Which is better.  I won't be doing any AR work, just general stuff.

Also, I'm considering a brass catcher.  One of the reasons I don't shoot my semi-autos much is I hate hunting for brass in the grass.  Any suggestions here?

Thank you for your consideration.

I use a brass catcher for NRA bullseye practice with my Les Baer .45ACP.. It has saved a myriad of brass. I heartedly recommend one.

Shoot with a guy who bought a mesh bag (approx. 16 x 16) that mounts on a tripod to catch brass.  Works pretty good with AR or Ruger PC9.  Very hard to hit with pistol unless you stand right next to it while shooting at a single target. My 1911 doesn't like it.    For bench block,  I have a supply of 1/2 in poly cutting boards that I cut into smaller pieces with different size holes that work pretty good.  Can cut a groove to help hold a round item.  Even use for soft jaws on my vice.          GW

18 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Those of youse guys that are professional and amateur gunsmiths, I am going to get me a bench block.  I'm tired of holding a gun two handed and trying to put in a screw, drive a pin or fit a part with the third hand.  I am looking for feedback on which bench block to get.  I don't want the steel one and mar the finish on my guns so I am looking at the nylon  one and the over sized one.  Which is better.  I won't be doing any AR work, just general stuff.

Also, I'm considering a brass catcher.  One of the reasons I don't shoot my semi-autos much is I hate hunting for brass in the grass.  Any suggestions here?

Thank you for your consideration.

I bought a brass catcher for my evil non-politicaly correct, black non-California compliant rifle before I lost said rifle during the canoe accident.  Catcher's straps Velcro the bag over the ejection port.  4 or 5 times each magazine the spent brass would bounce off the bag back into the rifle to cause a jam.  Let me know your shipping address and I'll send it to you.  It's the only thing that survived the canoe accident.

I have 3 bench blocks. 1 for 1911s, One for ARs and a generic one. I actually use the 1911 block for a lot of my work. 

And I would like to thank you for posting this question. I found and ordered this when I was looking for the bench blocks I own to send you links. It shows a Glock frame but those wheels are adjustable. 

104-001 Apex Tactical Specialties, Armorer's Block, for Gunsmiths, Polymer, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ULZ9U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iv-WEb7YSKD72

I have this one - Very useful even for non-1911 guns.

Wheeler Universal Bench Block with Non-Marring Construction and Multiple Uses for Pistols, Gunsmithing and Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047WKF84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ux-WEb125HRK2

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have 3 bench blocks. 1 for 1911s, One for ARs and a generic one. I actually use the 1911 block for a lot of my work. 

And I would like to thank you for posting this question. I found and ordered this when I was looking for the bench blocks I own to send you links. It shows a Glock frame but those wheels are adjustable. 

104-001 Apex Tactical Specialties, Armorer's Block, for Gunsmiths, Polymer, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ULZ9U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iv-WEb7YSKD72

I have this one - Very useful even for non-1911 guns.

Wheeler Universal Bench Block with Non-Marring Construction and Multiple Uses for Pistols, Gunsmithing and Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047WKF84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ux-WEb125HRK2

Here's my 1911 bench block...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/bench-vise-blocks/1911-armorer-s-block-prod27493.aspx

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

When I can I lay a tarp down to catch my brass.

Ditto

28 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I had not seen that block before. Thank you. Square makes more sense. It’s easier to butt it up against a brace or put it in a vise. I may have to get one of these. 

Thank you. :)

I gotta find that auto-correct guy a belt the clap out of him...if it’s a him...

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had not seen that block before. Thank you. Square makes more sense. It’s easier to butt it up against a brace or put it in a vice. I may have to get one of these. 

Thank you. :)

That is the one that they taught me to use at the Colt 1911 Armorer's School.  That, and how to use a AR-15 firing pin as a punch :) 

Archived