SASS Wire Forum

Least favorite John Wayne movie

Out of 140 movies there’s bound to be some (a lot) of bad ones and he made a bunch of them. The Quiet Man didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

The Shepherd of the Hills

The Conqueror

Hatari

The Green Berets

The Comancheros

The Train Robbers

On 5/18/2020 at 3:47 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The Comancheros.

Story was bad enough... but even when I was a kid, seeing '73 Colts and 1892 Winchesters in a movie set in 1843 was a total downer.

Then there was Wake of the Red Witch.  Didn't the Duke get et by a giant octopus...?   :rolleyes:

In "Reap the Wild Wind", JW and Ray Milland are diving on a ship that JW drove on a reef on purpose. They were trying to find proof that a lady had stowed away and been killed. They are attacked by a giant squid and JW saves Ray Milland's life but loses his own when the ship slips off the reef and falls to deep water.

That ending is very similar to Wake of the Red Witch.

Didn't care for "Island in The Sky".  Probably liked some naval films as well as any such as "In Harm's Way" and "The Sea Chase".  

Most of the candidates for his worst are ones I have not seen.

Loved Hellfighters as a kid, not so much when I saw it as an adult. But still OK.

Of the ones I have seen, I was most disappointed in The Shootist. Clearly marking the end of an era, it was a sad story. Left me unsatisfied.

They're all terrible. For the life of me I can't figure out why he's so loved almost universally and without question.

Lighten up Francis, I'm just joking; trying to make someone laugh this dreary Thursday morning....

Wanna list some ultra crappy Western “movies”?   Try on for size, those dreary, boring, dog-show-loser “Sackett” productions.

THE ONLY bright spot was Mercedes McCambridge as “Ma Sackett”.

Here she is in “Lightning Strikes Twice,” (1951).

I'm currently reading John Wayne: The Life and Legend, by Scott Eyman. I have found it to be a very enjoyable read that focuses on his career as an actor, producer and director. Some stuff about his personal life is thrown in to give context. Anyway, it covers some interesting background behind pretty much each of his movies,

One of his quotes from 1957 cited in the book: "That guy you see on the screen isn't really me. I'm Duke Morrison, and I never was and never will be a film personality like John Wayne. I know him well. I'm one of his closest students. I have to be. I make a living out of him."

21 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This will not be a popular response, but I personally can't stand The Searchers.  Wayne's character is just downright unpleasant, the story is at times contrived, and far too many scenes were obviously filmed in a sound stage.  I just does not appeal to me.

It's ok with me. In addition to the above, the half-wit sidekick and, above all, the goofy suitor are pretty much ridiculous. On the other hand, the opening and closing shots are very good.

30 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's ok with me. In addition to the above, the half-wit sidekick and, above all, the goofy suitor are pretty much ridiculous. On the other hand, the opening and closing shots are very good.

The book is better.  Not the ending of the movie.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 11:52 AM, Will Kane said:

I'm currently reading John Wayne: The Life and Legend, by Scott Eyman. I have found it to be a very enjoyable read that focuses on his career as an actor, producer and director. Some stuff about his personal life is thrown in to give context. Anyway, it covers some interesting background behind pretty much each of his movies,

One of his quotes from 1957 cited in the book: "That guy you see on the screen isn't really me. I'm Duke Morrison, and I never was and never will be a film personality like John Wayne. I know him well. I'm one of his closest students. I have to be. I make a living out of him."

"When the legend becomes fact...print (or film) the legend!"  His persona was what some of us old men wishes we could have been. 

I've been reluctant to post in this thread, but here goes.  Least Favorite.  The Green Beret's.  Has nothing to do with the acting.  Has nothing to do with the political aspect of the movie.  I just thought they tried including too much and there were too many stories going on all at once.  Great title track though.

Archived