SASS Wire Forum

Least favorite John Wayne movie

I love John Wayne movies for the most part but I'd have to say The Quiet Man is my least favorite. Kinda dumb I think!

What say you??

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well, if you totally exclude from consideration the Genghis Khan movie, The Conqueror.

Whoops forgot about that one, of course I only watched about 10 minutes of it.:lol:

Actually never saw 'The Conqueror' but I did see "Riders of Destiny" a 1933 "singing cowboy:" movie

...with John Wayne

...singing

...but not actually John Wayne singing - his singing was dubbed

It wasnt even that good of a 'dub' - it looked and sounded more like the voice over form an old Kung-Fu movie.   The premise was typical western - evil land baron openly uses his money and power to exploit the poor oppressed locals - in comes the tall dark stranger to save the day.  The singing cowboy angle was horrendous - and before one gunfight he started singing about streets covered in blood.

On the up side, it did have Gabby Hayes.

Nonsense

of his postwar westerns El Dorado gets a  thumbs down.

....I liked El Dorado but then again, I liked Rio Bravo.   El Dorado was just a rebooted Rio Bravo with a few gags tossed in.  The sheriff limping on different legs during different scenes -  the movie starting out  with Robert Mitchum carrying a gun "he copied": from John Wayne.  I liked Rio Bravo that I am obligated to like El Dorado which sort of means I have to like Rio Lobo as well...  especially since Robert Mitchums kids was in Rio Lobo

Big Jim McLain!  Probably the stiffest acting job I've ever seen.  And not just the principle characters!!

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Quiet Man!!!!  One of my favorites - Sir!... Sir!... Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady:lol:

The Conqueror stunk. Brannigan wasn't far behind.

I agree, and I happen to like El Dorado.

Check out The Big Trail from about 1930.  It's a keeper.

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Definitely all the above and I think you have to keep his early Westerns in proper context and not judge them too harshly.  However, of his postwar westerns El Dorado gets a  thumbs down.

I disagree. I find it totally entertaining. Not Oscar material. ;)

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Quiet Man!!!!  One of my favorites - Sir!... Sir!... Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady:lol:

The Conqueror stunk. Brannigan wasn't far behind.

I have never understood the love of The Quiet Man. Bored me.

The Quiet Man was a labor of love for John Ford, an Ireland that, if it ever existed, was gone for the most part by the time they made the movie.  The cast and crew enjoyed a vacation in Ireland making that film and although parts of it are boring, it's still got some interesting scenes.   The cop movies JW made after the success of Dirty Harry are not bad films, but he was miscast.  The Conqueror had to be his worst film after his early days.  BTW, the singer who "dubbed" JW's voice in Riders of Destiny, was Bill Bradbury, Bob Steele's brother.

The Conqueror isn't that bad when you consider it what it really is.

It's proof that John Wayne could carry a comedy, too, if he really wanted to.

The scene where he comes into the yurt and tells Agnes Morehead, "Hail, Mother." still makes me laugh today just as hard as I laughed the first time I saw it.

35 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What part did Duke have in that movie, Kit?

Alpo,

Maybe that’s why I didn’t like it, because he WASN’T in it. :blush:

The Shootist!  When I saw it, I had the distinct feeling that it would be Duke's last film.  Sadly, it proved prophetic.  Of his other films I didn't care for were The Cowboys and the ending in Sands of Iwo Jima, both where his character was killed.  The Quiet Man is my favorite, with Hondo next.  I like Hatari and The Hellfighters.  Just MHO.

Stay well, Pards

Pretty much everything before 1939. 
The Quiet Man

The Conqueror 

The Barbarian and the Geisha

Circus World (see link below for a laugh)

What a fantastic career John Wayne had. 
Check out his filmography list here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_filmography

“Cahill, U.S. Marshall”.......pretty,  pretty,  pretty......bad!

“The Quiet Man” is one of my favorite movies.

Here is a short clip about the making of that movie:     — Cat Brules —

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Maureen O'Hara

Doesn’t make it a great movie though.

16 minutes ago, Assassin said:

McLintock, I kept waiting for some shooting and killin'. It was a western chick flick.

It was a RomCom. ;)

But entertaining.

I can’t believe nobody mentioned 

3F654169-8ED6-4D76-BBA9-AA42CCE4C29D.jpeg

The Comancheros.

Story was bad enough... but even when I was a kid, seeing '73 Colts and 1892 Winchesters in a movie set in 1843 was a total downer.

Then there was Wake of the Red Witch.  Didn't the Duke get et by a giant octopus...?   :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Maureen O'Hara

She was the only reason I watched the whole stupid movie! I love her:wub:

46 minutes ago, Assassin said:

McLintock, I kept waiting for some shooting and killin'. It was a western chick flick.

Of all the JW movies I have seen, this is the worst for me. Parts of the movie lacked reason. The mud slide scene had no purpose but to make every white person look stupid. While I love seeing Maureen O'Hara, the last seen with her running down the street in her bloomers was a demeaning attempt to add sex appeal to the movie.

As far as accuracy, name a JW western movie where all of the firearms are period correct. Rio Lobo was set directly after the Civil War (1865) yet they had Colt SAAs (1873) and M1892s (1892), both of which weren't even on a drawing board yet. And a bad guy tried to light and throw dynamite, which wouldn't be invented until 1867.

Least favorite John Wayne Movie  ? 

Where is The Duke when we really need him !

IMG_3183.thumb.jpg.496f41b44c5fcd8d8fa08d1d78c94e02.jpg

Archived