SASS Wire Forum

Finally set up my 650 to load 45 acp

Grizzly Dave

My 1911 was too hungry for my single stage to keep up.

As you might remember, I had some issues with new brass being hard to pull out of the crimp die on the single stage.  I can feel it on the 650, but not nearly as much.

I went with Dillon dies on the 650 for ease of cleaning especially the bullet seat die.  But after trying to get a crimp I liked with the Dillon crimp die, I wound up going with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.  Had to crank the die body way down to see up according to instructions, but was able to get a crimp I liked in short order after that.  I got my rounds where I wanted without too much trouble, and that would pass the 'plunk' (barrel) test with no problem.

Image may contain: people sitting

I like the Dillon dies for ease of cleaning as well, especially, like you , the seating die.

If you're still getting build-up try to bell the case mouth just a little bit more.

I adjusted in small increments and now rarely have a real "build-up".  It also helps to go with coated bullets.

Some calibers I use Lee Factory Crimp Dies, some I use the Redding Profile Dies, some I use the Dillon Crimp Dies.

I usually run all brass...even new ...through the vibratory with corn cob media and some of the waxy polish. Just seems like they go through the sizing die so much easier. Even with carbide dies...which is all I use on straight wall cases. Get a Bulge Buster from Lee. When you get some rounds that won't go through the go-no go gauge...run them through the bulge buster in a single stage. Works wonders. Especially since I use all range brass for 45 acp.

Like others have said, just a little case lube of some sort really helps my arm!

(I use the homemade liquid lanolin with 99 % alcohol mix.)

I figured that out when I switched from 38's over to 9mm.  Now I use it for everything.

Archived