SASS Wire Forum

weathering or aging buckskin

Got a nice fringed buckskin rifle case that is way too short for any of my long guns.  I'd like to give it to a young friend, but it is so new and "white" it doesn't look right. 

It seems in my forgotten youth that we used a weak tea and vinegar solution and carefully sprayed it on somewhat unevenly to give it an aged and trail used appearance.

Is that still a good way to go?

Just leave it alone!!

Really.  It will develop its own character.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Just leave it alone!!

Really.  It will develop its own character.

Cat Brules

I've done that with most of my buckskin stuff but this one is a gift and I need it by the 30th.  Maybe I'll rub it down with my furnace filter or wipe my boots with it.

2 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

If it's a gift ......

does it really matter if it doesn't look "used" ? :ph34r:

Yeah.  The kid is into old west stuff and can't get out much.  Not many venues for guys in wheel chairs.   It looks like a surgery will alleviate that in another year or so, but I want to keep his interest up until then.

Rubbing alcohol will darken leather nicely and it dries fast. I would wet the surface and work the leather until it dries. If you need more aging sort of crease the leather in natural use ways and leave it as it dries then work the stiffness out. For even more aging try distressing the leather while soaked with alcohol and soft. Slap the item around on mixed surfaces as it dries. 

You are a good man sir!

13 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Used transmission fluid will imitate sweet stain by rubbing in areas that would be in contact. I like linseed oil for a leather dye gives reddish brown color and looks older than dye would 

I am not contradicting you but I use neatsfoot oil on leather and linseed oil on wood

Tried a bunch and went back to fairly strong Earl Grey tea.  Took several tries and applications, but it still works.  Added some commercial Cherokee style bead work and a "Eagle feather" for bravery (He's a middle school teacher), some light blue and yellow crow beads, and a red felt "collar" at the butt.  It came out pretty well for a hurry up job.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Now I need a tomahawk carrier for my self.  Needed one five years ago, but long before the Corona crap I came down with a serious bout of the lazies.  That has been alleviated by terminal boredom.  Wonder where I put my leather punch?

I have also started a detachable coyote tail collar for my fringed coat...for the cold weather we get around here.  Yeah, I know, "it's so hot in Arizona".  Well, not my part of Arizona.  I came close to freezing off parts that I'm still using.  I'll get that done before next week is over.

Archived