SASS Wire Forum

In case of T-Rex

Dantankerous

You need this. Marlin has answered the call.

20200517_201438.jpg

Well, if it was the 5 shot I would have said it was false advertising, but since this is a 6 shot I say “Heck Yeah! Let’s go find us some really big short armed varmints!” :D

4 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Unnecessary.  In event of TRex, bang a gong.

:lol: x 1000 

I nearly choked on my pizza :lol:

I got a Browning 1886 in .45-70 for about a third that much. It doesn't have a pickle dilly rail or a John Wayne big loop lever, but I trust it, and we haven't any dinosaurs.

Guess they moved to safer climes since I got it.

14 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I got a Browning 1886 in .45-70 for about a third that much. It doesn't have a pickle dilly rail or a John Wayne big loop lever, but I trust it, and we haven't any dinosaurs.

They probably heard you got one!

12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

This is for when you want to shoot a T-rex and don't want it to hear you.

I see it’s only for recreation...probably because it only has a 5 round magazine...:D

SEE:

723B899E-3A3C-4E27-A2DD-1FA928B07C31.thumb.png.16080f6a3e3cc5024a72f7b385839bdc.png

On 5/17/2020 at 8:30 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No, they're just in training to come after you later.

giphy.gif

Marlin .45-70, 1895 Lever Action
Factory iron sights

Running Coyote, (running W-to-E, slightly uphill)
Off-Hand (Standing Unsupported),

400 Yards,

Kentucky Windage & Elevation (light, E-to-W breeze)

——-Missed! Round landed under its tail, about 8” behind.

Didn’t lead him enough.  Miscalc the wind.  Huge dirt-blast.

knocked him down, but he got back up and kept going.
Did not take second shot.

Cat Brules

Half-Breed Pete and his brothers (with me tagging along) would take a bunch of old tires and fill the middle with cardboard, with a target in the center of each.

Then off to the Los Padres National Forest, where we'd find a suitable hill.  We'd haul the tires to the top of the hill, and taking turns one fella would stay there while the other two got into position at right angles to the projected path of the tires.  When they were situated, the fella atop the hill would send tires down the hill...  and when it hit the flats, the other guys would shoot at the racing and bounding "running deer." 

Great fun!  And we learned a lot about leading targets.  ;)

I would like that stainless version if not for the huge rail and the big loop lever.

It seems all the shorter Marlin's with pistol grips are coming with the big loop lever.

A short rail I would be ok with.  Mount a quality 1-5x scope and have a very good woods gun.

50 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I would like that stainless version if not for the huge rail and the big loop lever.

It seems all the shorter Marlin's with pistol grips are coming with the big loop lever.

A short rail I would be ok with.  Mount a quality 1-5x scope and have a very good woods gun.

Have you tried the big loop lever yet? I ask because before I put my hands on one I thought I would not like it. The loop looks larger than it feels. And I don't think that with a 45-70 we're going to be doing any fast repetitive shooting like we do in cowboy requiring a smaller lever to help run the gun quicker. Now, facing a charging grizzly might be a good reason to lever as fast as humanly possible before becoming human paté though. :o:D

The long rail I could do without though but a rear ghost ring would be great.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

I've seen several guys mount a long eye relief scope on the 1895s to make a lever action scout rifle. I have a Ruger GSR that is set up in a scout rifle configuration and although it takes some getting used to, shooting with both eyes open, one magnified actually works. Last year during deer season, I had put the crosshairs on a decent size doe, when a good size buck sauntered in from the side. If I had only been sighting with one eye through the scope, I would have totally missed the buck opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Have you tried the big loop lever yet? I ask because before I put my hands on one I thought I would not like it. The loop looks larger than it feels. And I don't think that with a 45-70 we're going to be doing any fast repetitive shooting like we do in cowboy requiring a smaller lever to help run the gun quicker. Now, facing a charging grizzly might be a good reason to lever as fast as humanly possible before becoming human paté though. :o:D

I have not.  None in stock at any LGS.

I have reservations of putting money down on a Marlin that I can't handle first.

That loop just looks big.  Maybe I'll get a chance to handle one before the end of the year.

I was thinking of using it for a hog gun with some Lehigh Defense 250 gr Solid Copper Extreme Defense or 300 gr cast lead flat nose gas checks.

30 minutes ago, Flatwater Monte said:

I've seen several guys mount a long eye relief scope on the 1895s to make a lever action scout rifle. I have a Ruger GSR that is set up in a scout rifle configuration and although it takes some getting used to, shooting with both eyes open, one magnified actually works. Last year during deer season, I had put the crosshairs on a decent size doe, when a good size buck sauntered in from the side. If I had only been sighting with one eye through the scope, I would have totally missed the buck opportunity. 

I tried a long eye relief scope many years ago and the quality of the piece may have had more to do with my results than anything, but I didn't like it.  Felt like I was looking through a straw.  It wasn't a 1x magnification.  I think it a 2x or a 4x - too long ago.

I do like a non-magnified red dot though.  Whether mounted farther out scout scope-style or closer to the eye, I have no problems looking through them with both eyes open.

And the Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 is really nice to my eyes for a variable power scope.  No problem with both eyes open at 1x.

Buyer Beware:

There is nothing in the 1895 rifle specs that indicates it comes with shoulder replacement insurance..... :D

It ain't as much the rifle but rather some of the HOT 'Godzilla' loads you can shoot in it.   

Although I'm not a fan of the big loop, it does have a benefit in that you can wear a glove using it.

The standard rectangular shaped lever tends to bust up your knuckles shooting it bare handed, especially with those hot loads.

..........Widder

53 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Buyer Beware:

There is nothing in the 1895 rifle specs that indicates it comes with shoulder replacement insurance..... :D

It ain't as much the rifle but rather some of the HOT 'Godzilla' loads you can shoot in it.   

Although I'm not a fan of the big loop, it does have a benefit in that you can wear a glove using it.

The standard rectangular shaped lever tends to bust up your knuckles shooting it bare handed, especially with those hot loads.

..........Widder

That is the truth.

I don't plan on hot rodding 400+ grain loads for what I'm hunting (or even the lighter loads for that matter).

The little NEF Handi-Rifle thumps pretty good, too.

My plan for the regular lever was to wrap it just like a CAS rifle.  Mo Betta.

Has anyone checked to see how much it would cost to have a professional taxidermist mount a T-rex?  And think what it would cost to remodel your house so you'd have a room large enough to display the thing.  Consider what a cold storage locker big enough to hold all the meat from a T-rex would cost you!

I thing I'll pass and stick to stuff I can eat and store in a small local locker.  Run, Rex, run!  Go away so Im not even tempted to shoot you!  RUN!!!!

(WOW, those new meds are really great.  I can see music in technicolor, too.)

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

I tried a long eye relief scope many years ago and the quality of the piece may have had more to do with my results than anything, but I didn't like it.  Felt like I was looking through a straw.  It wasn't a 1x magnification.  I think it a 2x or a 4x - too long ago.

I do like a non-magnified red dot though.  Whether mounted farther out scout scope-style or closer to the eye, I have no problems looking through them with both eyes open.

And the Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 is really nice to my eyes for a variable power scope.  No problem with both eyes open at 1x.

I started with a Burris fixed 4 power and didn't like it at all. Was actually planning on mounting a traditional relief Vortex on the gun, then Vortex came out with a 2-9x scout scope. I like it at around 4x for general work, when I get into brass tack shot placement, I will bump it up to 7 or 8x. Vortex has really impressed me with their glass. 

6 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

That rail is made by XS Sights. It is removable. They have a shorter scope rail but it’s for a Scout Rifle set up. 
https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8290

I have those ghost ring rear and white stripe front sight on my Winchester 94 carbine. They are the very best iron sights I have ever tried. I will be putting them on my Marlin 336 soon. 

Well, I may have seen this clip on The Wire, I don’t recall, but if you haven’t seen it yet, here’s whist I’m going to do with my Marlin ‘95, .45-70 next.

Cat Brules

6 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Well, I may have seen this clip on The Wire, I don’t recall, but if you haven’t seen it yet, here’s whist I’m going to do with my Marlin ‘95, .45-70 next.

And these morons vote...

By the way, here is the real Triceratops photo before photoshop.

Anti-Hunters Denounce Director Steven Spielberg for Killing a ...

Steven Spielberg KILLED IT! :lol: With his bare hands! Steven's a Bad Mother(shut your mouth)

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Buyer Beware:

..........Widder

Agreed, I have one of the older JM Marlin Guide Guns with the ported barrel and a 550 Gr flat point at about 1200 fps is right on the edge of uncomfortable and I felt the 20 odd rounds I fired for the rest of the week.

Although the soreness was worth it to see chunks of bowling pin fly 25 feet up in the air when I hit one.   :D

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I see it’s only for recreation...probably because it only has a 5 round magazine...:D

SEE:

723B899E-3A3C-4E27-A2DD-1FA928B07C31.thumb.png.16080f6a3e3cc5024a72f7b385839bdc.png

Thats so they have room for the ultra high tech silencer thingamajig. Besides, there's nothing that will make you get better at reloads like having a Trex coming atcha. Widder said he only needed one shot anyhow.

TN Williams is correct..... I only need ONE shot.    And guess who its for.......... ME!

When ole T-Rex is coming after me, and ONLY me, that one shot will be wisely used.

BUT, if I'm with someone like TN williams when ole T-Rex attacks, that one shot will be put

to the knee of TN.    Slow him down enough to allow ME to get away and hide..... :lol:

Hey TN:  look at the bright side of it.   If you die right now or in the next few years, your whole life has basically been dull and waisted.  NOBODY

will have much to say about you.  The speaker at your funeral will probably be allowed only 2 minutes or so.   He'll probably say a good

word about you beating Drifter this past weekend at Wartrace..... :D

BUT, if you get taken out by ole T-Rex, that will be a story every one will be talking about for months to come.

You'll be a hero.   Your name will be printed in all the newspapers and your graduation picture from High School will be shown on

Fox news.

You did graduate from Bucksnort High, didn't you?

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Make the first shot count and the speed becomes a moot point.

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TN Williams is correct..... I only need ONE shot.    And guess who its for.......... ME!

When ole T-Rex is coming after me, and ONLY me, that one shot will be wisely used.

Hey TN:  look at the bright side of it.   If you die right now or in the next few years, your whole life has basically been dull and waisted.  NOBODY

will have much to say about you.  The speaker at your funeral will probably be allowed only 2 minutes or so.   He'll probably say a good

word about you beating Drifter this past weekend at Wartrace..... :D

BUT, if you get taken out by ole T-Rex, that will be a story every one will be talking about for months to come.

..........Widder

If I could talk that T-rex into spotting me as much time as drifter did, I could probably give it a run for its money. Drifter, Randy and PeDe felt sorry for me this weekend. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the way I limped in from my truck with my head down and telling them all kinds of sad stories about my pet goat getting caught by the animal control and getting neutered. 

19 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

Amazing.  A new level of stupid. And these people are voting. Gee, I can't wait for the future to get here.

You know how to tell that picture is fake?

If that rifle is really a 45-70 with that scope set on it in that position, the shooter would have had at the least, a bump above the eyebrow.

More likely, a cut or busted eye socket.

Anyhow, thats why I think the picture is fake............ :D

..........Widder

Archived