SASS Wire Forum

A nice bit of writing

Alpo

He's talking about how good the fishing is in the river near his home. I just like the way he finished that paragraph.

>When the salmon are finished there are fat eels lying in the current riffles at low tide, so thick that in an hour one boy with a trident may fill a barrel, which is a feat I have frequently accomplished, being addicted to smoked eel with a gallon of cider before meals, or during them, or late at night when the nip of autumn is in the air, or indeed at any time whatever, now I stop to think on it.<

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I am impressed.

smilie, thumbsup.gif

I used to read a lot.  Actually, still do... but I was one of those weird kids who really enjoyed the "classics."  My English teachers couldn't punish me enough!  ^_^

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

a gallon of cider

Is that an Imperial gallon or a US gallon?  Is the cider fresh pressed or hard?  In either case, an impressive amount.  Worthy of James "Diamond Jim" Brady.

A typical lunch consisted of two lobsters, deviled crabs, clams, oysters and beef. He finished up with an array of pies. Not like slices of different pies, but several pies. This would hold him over till about 4:30, at which time he gobbled up a heaping platter of seafood. He usually took the snack with a few carafes of lemon soda, another cherished beverage.

Brady lived in New York City. His favorite restaurant in the city was Charles Rector's, an exclusive establishment on Broadway. The owner described Diamond Jim as his "best 25 customers." "The usual" evening meal began with an appetizer of two or three dozen oysters, six crabs, and a few servings of green turtle soup. The main course was two whole ducks, six or seven lobsters, a sirloin steak, two servings of terrapin and a variety of vegetables. He topped it off with a platter of pastries and often a two pound box of candy. He was particularly fond of confectionery delights.

If you all enjoy that turn of phrase then you will probably enjoy Shelby Foote’s history of the Civil War.  Both authors use periods like they had to pay for them.  More than one of Mr. Foote’s sentences ran longer than a page.  I am grateful that my 10th grade English teacher did not require us to diagram any of them.

Archived