SASS Wire Forum

Short gun cart with coach gun?

heckofagator

I really like the Mustang woodcrafters cart and would like to build something similar.

https://www.mustangwoodcrafters.com

but I’m not sure about the feasibility of storing a coach gun.  I found a pic here and while it appears to work, I’m not sure how stable that is.

http://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/4327474/product/cowboy action shooting gun cart

anyone have a setup like this?

With the geometry of the cart in your second link, I would think it would be important to use the bungy strap before moving the cart.  I have built several and I put the shotgun butt a little farther ahead so the barrels are more vertical.  That's a little more forgiving when going down hill or over bumps.

Here is a picture of the one I am working on now.  Not complete, but you can see the gun placement.

Chancy

IMG_1900.jpg

Chancy, what's the length of the section the shotgun sits in. 

For me, I think I just have to figure out the best comprise - long enough to get the coach gun to sit comfortably, but as short as possible to keep overall length down. 

I found another thread that had the lower section at 17".  And then you a box/seat after that and it starts getting long. 

I have one (in storage) that was made with an open back. The shotgun sits fully open with the butt stock maybe 3 inches in front of the barrels. the barrels are in the rack with the muzzles pointing forward at about 30 degrees off plumb. This allows the receiver/chambers to sit out the back. There is a removable box that sits in front of where the rifle and shotgun butt stocks ride. Id take a picture if it were here. This allows the total length of the base to be about 18 inches.

One word of advice. The key to having something that won't wear you out is wheel size and placement. Larger wheels, 16 to 20 inch diameter roll over rough ground much better. Also where you locate the axle is important so that when you lean it back it comes to a natural balance point.

the above advice is spot on for a cart that will serve your needs and perform well , most ranges are not flat or paved , keep the movement in mind as you figure out the gun placement , less is always more when it comes to hot weather and trudging uphill - both ways .........snow adds another dimension , large wheels and comfortable balance , never carry more than what you need , but its nice to be able to add a couple guns when the need arises , 

As the gun sits in the picture, it is about 19 inches out.  When complete, there will be a stop to hold the butt out about 14 inches.  That way, the gun will be more upright and allow a little room for storage (maybe for an ammo box) ahead of the gun.

Gun carts are a series of compromises.

Good luck,

Chancy

what about chamber flags?

if you are moving the cart and have chamber flags in the shotgun with the breech closed, will that cause an outbreak of the unsafety-virus ?

16 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

what about chamber flags?

if you are moving the cart and have chamber flags in the shotgun with the breech closed, will that cause an outbreak of the unsafety-virus ?

- Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match

SHB p.18

Hi Gator,

The wheels on the Amish cart look really weak.  I would go with the rubber wheels shown on the collapsible Mustang cart at the bottom of the page.

Some range areas are very rough and are not paved.  Strong, big,  "flat-resistant" rubber wheels are the best.  Welcome to CAS!

Mo

That's just about what every cart is you see out there .

Some guys run bare bones carts like what Straight Arrow makes .

So saith the Rooster 

2 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Hi Gator,

The wheels on the Amish cart look really weak.  I would go with the rubber wheels shown on the collapsible Mustang cart at the bottom of the page.

Some range areas are very rough and are not paved.  Strong, big,  "flat-resistant" rubber wheels are the best.  Welcome to CAS!

Mo

No worries, I'd definitely use  nice rubber wheels.  The only reason I posted that Amish cart was that was the only pic I found of a coach gun in what I'd call a "short" cart. 

I'd like to build something similar to the mustang cart.  I just wasn't sure how a coach gun would fit in there. 

I think the Mustang wheels need to be a larger OD.  Wood wheels with metal tires are scrap.  Metal wheels and solid rubber tires would be the most durable.  Actually though, metal wheels with inflatable rubber tires would save a little weight and be better, IF you don’t mind the occasional flat tire.  In my opinion though, flat tires on a gun cart are too critical to risk.  You’d have to decide.  Another possible issue on the Mustang gun cart to me, is weight.  Fully tricked out, it looks like it might weigh 125+ pounds.  That may be an issue to some, and irrelevant to others(?).

I have an acquaintance who specializes in producing “stuff” (parts, components and accessories) made of lightweight “glass” composites.  I asked him a while back about producing lightweight gun carts, but we didn’t discuss enough for him to fully grasp the idea.  Besides, producing a finished product is very different than supplying component items.  Oh well, there’s probably not enough of a market, for lightweight carts anyway.  

The Mustang cart sure looks nice!  He made a decent video presentation, too.

Cat Brules

Archived