SASS Wire Forum

Explaining Blazing Saddles

Alpo

The movie is being explained to an ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE class.

New students must be from Lower Slobovia. People that have never seen a western. People that have to have the term SADDLE explained to them.

http://eslnotes.com/movies/html/blazingsaddles.html

Some of the terms should have been explained to the teacher, before he wrote this.

I quit reading when I found out that there was no mention of best supported supporting actress Robyn Hilton (aka Miss Stein)! :angry:

Holy Crap...it looks like a manifesto written by a crazy man. 

Sorry, didn’t bother reading it. It gave me an eye-ache. 

I have that problem transferring Rx's from these furin' pharmacist que no habla mucho Ingles. When they as me my name I say Wayne, as in John Wayne. They don't know what I'm talking about. I got fax from one once that had my name as Wayne John.

JHC :P

8 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

supported supporting

Sorry if this derails your thread alpo, but I've been seeing this a lot lately and I gotta ask about it.  At first, it was only in alpo posts and I figured he was taking the extra time to strikeout the mistakes ole otto made for him so as to not hide them.  But now I'm seeing other people do it.  Is the forum software doing it automagically? 

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Sorry if this derails your thread alpo, but I've been seeing this a lot lately and I gotta ask about it.  At first, it was only in alpo posts and I figured he was taking the extra time to strikeout the mistakes ole otto made for him so as to not hide them.  But now I'm seeing other people do it.  Is the forum software doing it automagically? 

No you have to do it yourself. Usually just for fun. :)

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

It is a method of saying something salacious, uncomplimentary, or otherwise of dubious appropriateness while not actually saying it.  Not unlike, and I can't recall the exact quote now, a lawyer making a closing statement in a civil case, says something to the effect "My client has been the target of attacks by ignorant and dangerous men (pauses and waves towards the plaintiffs table), as these learned gentlemen well know."  

It would have been, I think you will agree, somewhat indelicate and inappropriate to call attention to how well Ms. Hilton and her attributes were supported in that cinematic masterpiece.

11 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Ramblin,

In my case,  it was intentional! ;)

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

At first, it was only in alpo posts and I figured he was taking the extra time to strikeout the mistakes ole otto made for him so as to not hide them.

That's what it is with me.

When I see a post, and down at the bottom it says it was edited, I always wonder what they edited. Did they say something and then decide that was  snot NOT nice so they erased it? Did they go back and read it and see they left a word out? Or did they just fix some typos?

So when I say THEY DIDN'T, and otto changes it to SHE DIDN'T, I could just go back and edit it, erase the she and write  they, but I figured that someone else would be curious about what my edit was.

So I started treating it like a professional document. Instead of erasing the error and rewriting it, I line out the error and rewrite it.  Mainly because I'm peculiar like that.

So in this case at least, it is not the software, it is me.

Alpo makes a great point, and one which I have tried to follow since I started posting.

The majority of my edits result from posting either from my cell phone or tablet. Using both of these limits my ability to use the font I like image.png.88ef96f56fd04e09d535fe4637ccf8b5.png, or any color variations. I try to make a point of using the EDIT box; however, there are times when I forget to use it.

If the reason for the edit doesn't necessarily change the context of the post, then I may not use it (ie. spelling, word usage, etc.); however, I know, just as I do when I read others who have made an edit, that I am curious as to what they changed.

The EDIT box appears on each post as such:

1004615669_EditIcon.JPG.72cef9ac78db6c3d8131eeec3833c9f9.JPG

Clicking on Edit yields this:

2111882776_EditBox.JPG.e3f85f7ab9f9bc4f2e0b2eba1230e049.JPG

Merely type the reason and click SAVE (unless you want to Cancel):

image.png.b0460e21a009ac2e13dca1cb42e936aa.png

Examples I have previously submitted:

2112134476_Edit1.JPG.54c50249091079aceede21c4c5a4d68a.JPG

1245615550_Edit2.JPG.3ad57d93641e20da2a3d0ad240844c14.JPG

1088852115_Edit3.JPG.fb1c57a8d6c655022c4e348a49e0d999.JPG

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It is a method of saying something salacious, uncomplimentary, or otherwise of dubious appropriateness while not actually saying it.  Not unlike, and I can't recall the exact quote now, a lawyer making a closing statement in a civil case, says something to the effect "My client has been the target of attacks by ignorant and dangerous men (pauses and waves towards the plaintiffs table), as these learned gentlemen well know."  

It would have been, I think you will agree, somewhat indelicate and inappropriate to call attention to how well Ms. Hilton and her attributes were supported in that cinematic masterpiece.

Kinda along the lines of “saying something salacious, uncomplimentary, or otherwise of dubious appropriateness“, but then ending the segment with “just sayin’”.

It’s a way of inserting plausible deniability into something you said. 

Archived