SASS Wire Forum

Joining a SASS Affiliated Club

Sonoma Steve

What is unfortunate for me is that while I shoot at 3-4 local matches, the “Host Clubs” have closed memberships.  I understand that existing members of the club want to have access to range time and do not want to swell the membership ranks, but as I am retired, I would love to help out around the club.  My issue is that because I am not a member, I am not allowed (insurance I guess).  Question:  Can a shooter be considered a member of the portion of the club that is "SASS Affiliated" but not be a member of the host gun club?

If you are asking if non-club members are allowed into ranges to shoot SASS matches, I have been to several clubs where that is allowed. The only way to find out is to contact the representative of the particular SASS club and ask.

This is a matter handled by the host club's bylaws.  Depending on the bylaws there may be different requirements.  I am on the board of a host club that once hosted CAS matches.  We also once had a resident USPSA club that had an arrangement like the OP requested.  Our attorney examined the arrangement and found it violated our bylaws, the USPSA's club bylaws and state laws governing corporations.  We had to dissolve the arrangement.

Some clubs have reduced fees for senior citizens.  They can also waive membership fees for those who perform service like range maintenance or administrative work.  Check with the host club's officers and see if you can cut a deal.  My club helps out those who spray weeds, rake litter, weld targets and process memberships.

I am not a member of the range where we shoot. I can't shoot any time I want and can only shoot at "cowboy" matches.I can still help set up and tear down stages for matches, help on work days for that section of the range , and help with the annual match.

I would guess it would be the same for you.

11 hours ago, Sonoma Steve said:

Can a shooter be considered a member of the portion of the club that is "SASS Affiliated" but not be a member of the host gun club?

Well, I think you are asking the wrong question. 

The answer to your question as you asked - Yes, but it depends upon the relationship of the SASS and the Host organization.    Sometimes the two organizations are totally different.  Sometimes the SASS club is a wholly-controlled part of the host club.   Sometimes it's a weird combination of the two.  If the relationship between the two clubs allows it, then membership in one can be independent of whether you belong to the other, or not.  I've seen "must belong to Host first to join our SASS club".  I've seen "can join the SASS club without being in Host, but you can't use anything other than SASS stages at a SASS scheduled matches".   And sometimes guests of the SASS club can shoot without even joining either organizations, but only for scheduled SASS matches.  And, just because organizations can be full of independent thinkers, there's probably 100 other combinations.    :lol:

When you are asking about work parties and being shooed away, it is probably about the liability of you getting injured or injuring someone else while on a work party.   That's sad, and it could even be because someone in charge has not explored the insurance policy deeply enough to know, or is just CYA'ing because insurance policies make their head hurt.

But in any case, pushing hard on trying to be accepted to join work parties when they have a policy already that says "No Way", is probably a good way to tick off the powers in the host club.  So, tread lightly, or tread over to another club that welcomes work parties.

Just my reading between the lines of your situation.  GJ

Wow.  Now that is how to answer a question.  Thanks so much.  I can now go to the various clubs and have a little more information to ask how they are connected to the Host Club.  I could not have asked for more concise answer. 

1 hour ago, Sonoma Steve said:

Wow.  Now that is how to answer a question.  Thanks so much.  I can now go to the various clubs and have a little more information to ask how they are connected to the Host Club.  I could not have asked for more concise answer. 

Garrison Joe is a very knowledgeable guy and a great source of reliable information. I put him right up there with PBW.

The term membership varies at the clubs we frequent.  To the best of my knowledge, no club requires SASS, club, or posse membership to participate.  SASS membership is required to shoot at state level and higher matches.  Generally speaking, no memberships are required to take part in cowboy matches at any of the clubs.  Membership are only required for other uses of the facilities or for voting rights.
Club membership levels vary from club to both in price and the perks of membership.  It appears that, in this day and age, background checks are required at all.  Availability of club membership varies from club to club but most accept members all the time.  Prospective members usually require a "sponsor".  Our main club offers full use of the facilities, free dry camping on site, etc. to the membership.  Cowboy shooting is one just shooting disciplines of the club.  None of the shooting disciplines have their own treasury and all have a rep that attends the monthly membership meetings.  The posse has a ruling committee that answers to the main club via the rep.  Our posse does have a dedicated range and, without exception, we maintain the building and grounds.
Some clubs offer a posse membership.  Posse membership dues are collected annually at a pretty reasonable rate and then a discount is taken from the monthly match fees.  (Example: For a $30 fee you get $5 off at each match.  If the club has 7 matches, you saved $5.)  All officers of the posse are required to have a posse membership and the cowboys maintain their own treasury.  The posse has a rep to the main club that must maintain membership in both.

I don't know if this is helpful or not.  From what I've seen over the years, it appears that it's a case of different strokes for different folks.

So maybe I need to explain further.  I look at members profiles and there is a list of SASS Clubs. I keep on getting notices that my profile is only 50% complete.  It wants to know the name of the clubs to which I belong.  My question to the forum was very basic:  In order to list a club in my profile, do you need to be a member of the host gun club?  I currently shoot in a match in NJ and four in PA.  I am welcomed, have a great time and made a number of friends, but I do not consider myself a “member’ of the club.  I pay the entry fee to shoot the match, but I do not pay dues to the host club.  I think I will just go with the answer that Garrison Joe gave.  Something like “It depends, I have seen it both ways. Bottom line, you need to ask”.

Thanks to all for the responses.

22 hours ago, Sonoma Steve said:

What is unfortunate for me is that while I shoot at 3-4 local matches, the “Host Clubs” have closed memberships.  I understand that existing members of the club want to have access to range time and do not want to swell the membership ranks, but as I am retired, I would love to help out around the club.  My issue is that because I am not a member, I am not allowed (insurance I guess).  Question:  Can a shooter be considered a member of the portion of the club that is "SASS Affiliated" but not be a member of the host gun club?

Only one club that I shoot at in the south east part of PA has a closed membership, from what I can see.  They have more applications than openings each year and work on a lottery list for new membership.

There are others that are accepting new members but not open due to the current government "Lock Down".  Some may require a sponsor, some require new members to attend at least one club meeting, but they are not holding meetings presently.  When we regain our freedom in PA you should be able to join one of these clubs.  Most clubs welcome additional help, I know the cowboy groups can use volunteers to assist with match set up and tear down.

47 minutes ago, Sonoma Steve said:

So maybe I need to explain further.  I look at members profiles and there is a list of SASS Clubs. I keep on getting notices that my profile is only 50% complete.  It wants to know the name of the clubs to which I belong.  My question to the forum was very basic:  In order to list a club in my profile, do you need to be a member of the host gun club?  I currently shoot in a match in NJ and four in PA.  I am welcomed, have a great time and made a number of friends, but I do not consider myself a “member’ of the club.  I pay the entry fee to shoot the match, but I do not pay dues to the host club.  I think I will just go with the answer that Garrison Joe gave.  Something like “It depends, I have seen it both ways. Bottom line, you need to ask”.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Sonoma Steve,

I in no way took your original post as the question that you restated above.

But, it depends.  A lot of clubs do not have membership fees and anyone who shoots on a regular basis are considered "members".  I also know some shooters who list all of the clubs they shoot at on their profile but are not "dues paying members" of said clubs.

I am not aware of any SASS clubs that collect membership dues that would turn away a person who is legally allowed to shoot (unless there are extenuating circumstances - I have seen that a time or three).

If the SASS club rents/leases the range from a host club, they may require you to join the host club.  I've heard of this but never witnessed it personally.

I put only what we call our home club in my profile.  We shoot at about 5-7 different clubs within a reasonable drive from our home each season.  This may not include some 3 day matches that are a bit further of a drive.  When you look at profiles you will see that some are quite inclusive of all info while others are pretty scant.  It's not a big deal.

I do not belong to the range where my club shoots, (there is a waiting list to join the range as a member). That being said, I am a member of my CAS/SASS club but I pay $5 more since I don't have a range membership. But if I help with setting up the stages, I get that extra $5 fee waived.

It's all good as far as I am concerned. :)

AG

Archived