SASS Wire Forum

Томск

Subdeacon Joe

38 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Beautiful. 

Am I correct that they have snow in Siberia?

Yes, in the winters.  Siberia is bigger than the USA, so I can’t speak for much of it, but, for example, the average winter in New Hampshire (42-45° latitude) gets a lot more snow than Novosibirsk (55° latitude) which is in central Siberia. Tomsk is at 56°30’. Storms in NH pick up moisture off the ocean and dump it as snow.

summers in Siberia can be very hot, I saw 104°F. There are places that see more severe cold, hot, snow, etc.

I imagine that architecture takes a lot of maintenance.  Tomsk, with more than half a million people also has its share of the very common and ugly 5 story elevatorless Prefab cement apartment Buildings which were called Khrushchyevka.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

very common and ugly 5 story elevatorless Prefab cement apartment Buildings which were called Khrushchyevka.

Yep.

Apartment on Uchebnaya 7/1, Tomsk, Russia - Booking.com

I'm not sure where these next photograph were taken, but they, I think, are more typical of the Krushchyevka look:

only a part, not the whole — Khrushchyovka

Khrushchyovka - Wikiwand

Yes Joe, the brown ones look to be post Soviet, eight stories and you can see the elevator towers,

the grey five story buildings are Krushchyevki. What I don’t see that are very common in ‘modern’Russia is satellite dishes hanging off the sides of the buildings. At that latitude they would be using the four over the pole satellites.

the apartments are typically two or three room plus bath and micro kitchen. 500 sq ft.

Only thing Requiring paint on the outside are the windows, often plastic these days, and balconies which you see on the brown buildings.

the windows are usually a double glazed window an airspace and a single glazed window, remember -40° is not uncommon.

notice there are no fire escapes. All apartments have only one door and have access to one stairwell and one elevator. Basically cement walls separating apartments.

these buildings are very obvious from the air.  Fortunately they were not layed out like Roman legion formations __ __ __. But often scattered like l_|>\/. Or some other randomness. The spaces in between are driveways and playgrounds and little stores.  And hangouts for stray cats.  ))))

The structures with the gingerbread decoration brought to mind the Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association, in Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard.  A striking collection of uniquely designed and decorated cottages, that began as tents as part of the 1800's campground movement, and has grown to hundreds of family owned cottages surrounding a cast iron Tabernacle that serves as the religious and cultural center of the summer community and is now a National Historic Monument.  Some great history here:

https://www.mvcma.org

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download (5).jpg

download.jpg

The pictures remind me of the houses in Oberammergau, Germany, the woodcarving capital of Europe, where the most popular carving is that of the Last Supper. I recall seeing similar homes in Frederick, Texas, and, OMG I forget the name but a small town in Colorado.

on searching for news of O’gau, I see that their once every ten years passion play has been rescheduled for 2022, May to October.  The beards should be really long then.

Archived