SASS Wire Forum

45 colt load data

Too Tall Bob

looking for a comfortable load using unique and a 200 gr lead bullet. 

who uses what?  

thanx in advance

I’m not sure i have anything to add, but i just got home from the range 30 min ago.

i had a brand new Winchester 1873, my first centerfire lever action.  I had fifty 45 colt rounds i had loaded up (first time loading this round). I used 205gr Bear Creek bullets over unique.  I had 10 each with 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0gr Unique.   And.....Im not sure i felt much of difference.  I do remember thinking, with my first shots of the 6.0gr loads, this is much lighter than i was expecting.  I had never shot 45 colt before.  All seemed to group the same, too.

i guess I’m just going to go forward with 6gr for nothing else then to save a little powder?  I guess i was expecting to noticed a little difference in something but i’m far from the expert on load development.

12 hours ago, heckofagator said:

I’m not sure i have anything to add, but i just got home from the range 30 min ago.

i had a brand new Winchester 1873, my first centerfire lever action.  I had fifty 45 colt rounds i had loaded up (first time loading this round). I used 205gr Bear Creek bullets over unique.  I had 10 each with 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0gr Unique.   And.....Im not sure i felt much of difference.  I do remember thinking, with my first shots of the 6.0gr loads, this is much lighter than i was expecting.  I had never shot 45 colt before.  All seemed to group the same, too.

i guess I’m just going to go forward with 6gr for nothing else then to save a little powder?  I guess i was expecting to noticed a little difference in something but i’m far from the expert on load development.

Good job there. When I reduced the load I was using, I was looking for less muzzle flip to allow quicker follow on shots. It wasn't so much how it felt (recoil). I had also dropped from 255 grain bullets to 200. Watching for differences in how to aim.

Archived