SASS Wire Forum

Shipping pre 1898 pistol

Trigger Mike

15 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

how do I ship a pre 1898 pistol from ga to OK?  Do I need a copy of his driver's license?  Anything else I need to do?

Honestly, I would go to an FFL and ask them what is the best course of action. 

Pre 1898 is not regulated by federal law however local and state laws can differ. Getting his information can be an extra layer of protection for yourself. I don’t know Oklahoma law but here in Texas you could mail straight to me nothing needed

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I have asked FFL's and BATF agents questions and not always got the correct answer. Their website will give you the right answer.

kR

That is true but when they give you an answer and you ask them for their full name and to spell it so that you can keep it in your records their off the cuff answers usually get retracted really fast and replaced by "I'm not sure" or "you need to talk to this department".

As mentioned, go to the ATFE website. Print out the regs. Then check the regs in the receiver’s state. When in doubt ask an FFL ....although that can sometimes be iffy too. 

5 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Pre 1898 is not regulated by federal law however local and state laws can differ. Getting his information can be an extra layer of protection for yourself. I don’t know Oklahoma law but here in Texas you could mail straight to me nothing needed

Believe it or not, that’s the same for California. Maybe Texas and California aren’t that different after all ^_^

3 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Believe it or not, that’s the same for California. Maybe Texas and California aren’t that different after all ^_^

Boy! Talk about fighting words! :P

No. You are wrong.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

firearm

(16) The term “antique firearm” means— (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or (B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica— (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade;...

See that nice black OR?

Pre 1899, OR a REPLICA of a pre-1899 gun that does not use modern ammo.

Archived