SASS Wire Forum

A TRUCK DRIVING STORY

My business sells, rents and moves shipping containers. Some time back I got a call to move a 45' container to a mine in Missouri. No problem, we have the equipment to do the job-speciallized hydraulic trailers. Now understand, I 'm not a hot dog truck driver. I like to say, "they don't call me a truck driver, but they do call me. " So I show up  at the mine with the container and they tell me they need to give me underground training. I say that's ok I'm just here to slide off a container. Yeah, they say, the place where it's going is underground, you gotta drive down into the mine to get to the underground shop area! Also, take this emergency breathing apparatus with you and keep it with you all the time! Follow that pick up truck. It gets dark at night, we all know that, but if you ain't been underground you ain't seen dark! This is a limestone mine, few hundred feet under ground. They mine the rock and leave huge pillars to hold up the ceiling. The floor is sold rock with several inches of dust covering. It's dark and dusty and it all looks alike- and they lead me around and around. I'm pulling a 50' trailer and I can't see where it is in my mirrors.  When we get where we're going I have to unstrap the load and control the trailer with a flashlight in one hand and my breather in the other. I get the load off without any drama and they lead me back to the light. Very interesting , I think, and glad to be done with it. Don't care if I ever do it again! Guess what, 3 months later they call and say, "Hey you remember that 45' footer you took to the mine? We need you to go back and load it out to another spot!

How far underground ?...being a ex truckie  [ we don't say trucker here, like we also say bikie not biker ] that would be one hell of an experience !

Archived