SASS Wire Forum

Will paint damage shingles?

Alpo

Suppose I have a building that needs re-roofed.

Further suppose that I have enough shingles to do job.

Howsomever, they are not all the same color. Got some green ones, some black ones, some gray ones, some red ones. If I use them to shingle my building it would look --- peculiar.

So if I was to, after the roof was shingled, get up above it somehow with a paint gun, and spray the shingles so that they were all the same color, could this in some way affect the shingles ability to do their job - shed water?

"Will paint damage shingles"?

Well, normally if you dobb in on it might help eliminate the itch.

But you sure don't want to take it orally.   The doctor will prescribe

some meds for you.

:D

..........Widder

"Suppose I have a building that needs re-roofed.

Further suppose that I have enough shingles to do job.

Howsomever, they are not all the same color. Got some green ones, some black ones, some gray ones, some red ones. If I use them to shingle my building it would look --- peculiar."

"Hey, Widder. Which house is Alpo's? Never mind. I see it now"

37 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

As the paint dries, it shrinks. That might warp the shingles.

Good point

I've seen paint on shingles that was dripped on by sloppy painters and it was there for years. Probably oil based paint. Latex paint wouldn't hold up to the prolonged heat and sunlight. Oil based paint would work better and would hold up to the elements. Asphalt shingles would soak up a lot of paint.

There's a reason we don't see painted shingles, I'm guessing it's cost prohibitive. 

Some cheapskate should try this and let us all know how it works out. All of my buildings have metal roofs, I'm all about buy once cry once.

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I've seen paint on shingles that was dripped on by sloppy painters and it was there for years. Probably oil based paint. Latex paint wouldn't hold up to the prolonged heat and sunlight. Oil based paint would work better and would hold up to the elements. Asphalt shingles would soak up a lot of paint.

There's a reason we don't see painted shingles, I'm guessing it's cost prohibitive. 

Some cheapskate should try this and let us all know how it works out. All of my buildings have metal roofs, I'm all about buy once cry once.

I have latex paint on my garage roof that has been there better than 10 years. Interior to boot. Dropped a can and it shot straight up. came down mostly on my wifes' Impala. THAT got clean fast! 

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I have latex paint on my garage roof that has been there better than 10 years. Interior to boot. Dropped a can and it shot straight up. came down mostly on my wifes' Impala. THAT got clean fast! 

Now I'm going to have to paint a shingled roof just to see how it'll hold up, not.

Thinking about it, they do make that shiny paint for applying to flat roll roofing. It should work to make all the shingles one color. Although, it would still look like crap!

Shingles don't hold up out here as long as other parts of the country due to higher elevation, and 300 days of sunlight. They don't get all mildewed up either like humid rich areas.

8 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Now I'm going to have to paint a shingled roof just to see how it'll hold up, not.

Thinking about it, they do make that shiny paint for applying to flat roll roofing. It should work to make all the shingles one color. Although, it would still look like crap!

Shingles don't hold up out here as long as other parts of the country due to higher elevation, and 300 days of sunlight. They don't get all mildewed up either like humid rich areas.

Shingles don't hold up out there because of the 364 days of 30+ mph winds you guys get. I went to school in Laramie and I swear there wasn't a day that wasn't windy my entire time there! 

3 minutes ago, Flatwater Monte said:

Shingles don't hold up out there because of the 364 days of 30+ mph winds you guys get. I went to school in Laramie and I swear there wasn't a day that wasn't windy my entire time there! 

Yeah, that too. And, the baseball sized hail. Actually, Nebraska sucks and it's vacuum, not wind. :D

:ph34r:  I prolonged the life of my asphalt 3-tab shingle roof by 'painting' it white with the reflective coating made especially for the task.  I wanted to keep the wind from lifting the edges of the shingles (the heat here vaporizes the adhesive the shingles come with in about 2 or 3 seasons) so I slopped it on REALLY THICKLY with the coarsest roller I could find.  Worked really well.  About 25 years ago, I gave it a second coat.  Starting on prep to give it a 3rd coat this month.  45 years and still no leaks......  Coating runs about $69/5 gallons.  You can pay more, but I don't see the need.  15 gallons does a moderately sloped peaked roof on a 24 x 60 ft mobile home.

Temperatures during application and curing can affect results.  Read the (very) fine print.....

10 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  I prolonged the life of my asphalt 3-tab shingle roof by 'painting' it white with the reflective coating made especially for the task.  I wanted to keep the wind from lifting the edges of the shingles (the heat here vaporizes the adhesive the shingles come with in about 2 or 3 seasons) so I slopped it on REALLY THICKLY with the coarsest roller I could find.  Worked really well.  About 25 years ago, I gave it a second coat.  Starting on prep to give it a 3rd coat this month.  45 years and still no leaks......  Coating runs about $69/5 gallons.  You can pay more, but I don't see the need.  15 gallons does a moderately sloped peaked roof on a 24 x 60 ft mobile home.

Temperatures during application and curing can affect results.  Read the (very) fine print.....

Wow, in Colorado, a roof that is 8 years old is considered aging.  We get a lot of hail and wind.  

15 hours ago, Assassin said:

I put a temp controlled power ventilator in my attic after my new roof went on. Keeps it pretty decent in the attic. Roof is holing up really well. going on 20 years and it looks brand new. Well, except for the paint spots over the garage.

Archived