SASS Wire Forum

Alternate choice for tumbler media

Never heard of Guinea Pig bedding before. I use Lizard litter/bedding. All it is really is fine crushed walnut. Get it from the pet stores in big bags fairly inexpensive. Do have to add your own cleaning/polishing solution though.

Lizard litter (ground walnut hulls) - I discard so little of the media that I hardly worry about trying to find the cheapest possible.  Mostly lose just the spillage I have when emptying the tub and sifting out the brass.

Cap full of paint thinner added to media and spun up before adding brass, brass is vibrated until thinner all evaporates (I do mine outside in shade).  This pulls dirt and carbon film off the brass.

Used dryer sheet to pull the dirt off the media onto the sheet, which is discarded after the cleaning cycle.

I was adding a cap of NuFinish or other carnuba based auto finish, but have since learned I just want the brass clean.  Shiny - I no longer care.

(I guess you are using ground corn cob now, not corn kernels, but it's hard to tell from your post tag  :lol:)

Good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Lizard litter (ground walnut hulls) - I discard so little of the media that I hardly worry about trying to find the cheapest possible.  Mostly loose just the spillage I have when emptying the tub and sifting out the brass.

Cap full of paint thinner added to media and spun up before adding brass, brass is vibrated until thinner all evaporates (I do mine outside in shade).  This pulls dirt and carbon film off the brass.

Used dryer sheet to pull the dirt off the media onto the sheet, which is discarded after the cleaning cycle.

I was adding a cap of NuFinish or other carnuba based auto finish, but have since learned I just want the brass clean.  Shiny - I no longer care.

(I guess you are using ground corn cob now, not corn kernels, but it's hard to tell from your post tag  :lol:)

Good luck, GJ

Yes corn cob, had a senior minute typing the information. Thanks for the info. DC

23 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Never heard of Guinea Pig bedding before. I use Lizard litter/bedding. All it is really is fine crushed walnut. Get it from the pet stores in big bags fairly inexpensive. Do have to add your own cleaning/polishing solution though.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Lizard Litter from the pet shop stores works, but I found I can buy 50# bags of ground walnut from abrasive supply stores for under $20.

Thanks

I used walnut from the feed store.

It was very dusty but I removed the dust fines by putting some walnut in a 5 gallon bucket.

About 2" to 3" in the bucket.

You could go outside in the wind and hand stir the walnut to blow most of the fines out.

Or I would go outside and using my air hose set to 15 pounds, I would stir the walnut media and the fines would fly out leaving the heavier walnut shell.

Then I would use a little Turtle wax polishing compound in the tumbler that would keep the dust down.

Archived