SASS Wire Forum

Regarding masks

Agree with JK. Masks are simply an adjunct to the other prevention methods. They should Not give you a false sense of security.
Unfortunately for many, they do.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Masks give a false sense of security'. Maybe so, but that's a problem for the people who are ignorant about masks. Deciding not to wear a mask because someone else is ignorant? Hmm. That seems like refusing to shoot a stage, because someone else's transitions suck.

Again, focusing on how little protection masks likely offer for the wearer is missing the primary point of masks -- preventing the spread of infection from someone. The virus can live up to 24 hours on cardboard. Watch the video above that shows how spit flies out of peoples' mouths just by talking, and how something as simple as a washcloth stops the spit. Put a few pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic people in a store, walking around, talking without masks. The spit lands somewhere, carrying a virus load with it. Now you get to go pick it up.

Think you're clear of the virus because you haven't been around anyone with symptoms? Refer to 'asymptomatic spread' in the discussion above. You could be an asymptomatic carrier, who contracted the virus from an asymptomatic carrier.

And conflating the efficacy of masks with the issues of government abuse and overreach is illogical. Is there abuse of power by government? Yes. How does that effect masks? Are there cases of government overreach? Yes. How does that effect masks? Have there been unconstitutional restrictions put in place by 'leaders'? Yes. How does that effect masks? Has there been ridiculously aggressive enforcement of pandemic laws? Yes. How does that effect masks?

If you want to demonstrate how much of a rebel you are, why not find some way to do it that doesn't put others at risk?

54 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

How about you worry about you, and I’ll worry about me. If you think you can live a life where you don’t put yourself or others “at risk” you‘re delusional. Just stop, people are sick of the Karen’s.

Can’t avoid risk — have never implied otherwise. Informed decisions can reduce unnecessary risk. That’s what we’re talking about here. 

If you knew something about shooting — say, a particularly unstable powder — was dangerous but you saw a poster advising shooters to use it, would your response be to speak up, or just let it go? 

If you doing you was only about you, I’d say have at it. In fact, I DID say several posts ago that wearing a mask was an individual choice. 

Your response to something you disagree with is to just try to squelch the source?  Sounds like a political party I know of. 

But while you’re standing up for your right to choose, instead of

talking to me, you should be talking to the person forcing you to open this thread. 

59 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Stop the absurd comparisons to shooting, and or reloading.

16CA1E67-F52A-4256-B432-5453AB1D8E9F.jpeg

I use shooting, etc. for the analogies because I figure that whatever anyone's background, profession, etc., the one thing we have in common is CAS. 

As for your meme, I addressed that perspective earlier. The issue of wearing masks is separate from the political, economic, and social manipulations that are going on regarding the pandemic. 

Why do you feel you need to belittle someone because they have a different perspective than you? If you don't want to wear a mask, don't wear one.

There -- wasn't that simple?

It’s not just the masks. This stupidity has gone on long enough, 36 million are out of work. For what? Do you have any idea how many businesses will never reopen? Do you like the snitch on your neighbors message from Democrats? How about these BS death numbers? We’re talking reality here, the economy has been destroyed by fear mongers and I’ve had enough. Open up the businesses. The neighboring town just has its first suspicious business destroyed by fire, it won’t be the last. 
It was flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, now it’s become we are not open until their is a cure. Are they nuts? They can not keep moving the goal posts. Locking up business owners but releasing convicts? It’s madness and I’m not participating.

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

It’s not just the masks. This stupidity has gone on long enough, 36 million are out of work. For what? Do you have any idea how many businesses will never reopen? Do you like the snitch on your neighbors message from Democrats? How about these BS death numbers? We’re talking reality here, the economy has been destroyed by fear mongers and I’ve had enough. Open up the businesses. The neighboring town just has its first suspicious business destroyed by fire, it won’t be the last. 
It was flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, now it’s become we are not open until their is a cure. Are they nuts? They can not keep moving the goal posts. Locking up business owners but releasing convicts? It’s madness and I’m not participating.

John, I am with you 100% on everything you just said. The damage to small businesses and the economy is going to ripple out far beyond the virus, which I think has been inflated for political purposes. I’m afraid that the inflation that’s going to bite us in the ass thanks to the government creating money out of thin air will possibly make the hardships caused by the shutdown seem trivial. Snitching on neighbors has been the bread and butter of enforcement by Nazi and communists for decades.

And what has been gained? Turning people against each other. Making people dependent on the government. Nothing good. 

Okay, edited to take a little of the political bite out:

I can only guess that just as when it came to a trade war, we were willing to bet on the American workers when we looked China in the eye and told them to bring it on, and now America is looking the people who think crashing the economy will give them power in the eye, and telling them, ‘Bring it on’. 

Our local hospitals have furloughed hundreds of nurses, technicians, and other employees because the hospitals are nearly empty. No elective surgeries are allowed. No knee replacements, hip replacements, etc.. until given the go ahead by the governors office. They turned the top three floors of our new hospital into a covid-19 treatment center and there is not one patient according to my doctor. Many local businesses in my little town, Escondido, Vista and others will never reopen. Nordstrom just announced that they are closing their store out at the mall. Wonder how much covid-19 contributed to J.C. Penney filing bankruptcy? The Cheese Cake Factory may not make it either and it’s the same for many others. 

Archived