SASS Wire Forum

Regarding masks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

this cartoon is the best explanation I have seen yet...  I have shared it with my coworkers, to the displeasure of HR.  HR seems to feel that bodily functions should  not be discussed in the workplace...  :blink:

FB_IMG_1588288114903.thumb.jpg.44831052cdcb9c85b0bfe300d25156b9.jpg

Guy A pees on his pants.

Guy A touches pants.

Guy A touches his pants.

Guy A touches something else.

Guy B touches whatever Guy A touched.

Guy B touches his pants.

Guy B now has Guy A's pee on his pants.

Now I'm not saying we should not wear pants.

I am saying masks are pretty useless. We should wash our hands a lot and keep as much distance from others as we can.

A doctor friend told my wife and I that depending on a mask (homemade and most of those available to the public) to stop/contain a virus is like trying different underwear fabrics to stop a fart. :blink:

Everything is about the viruses relative molecule size and porosity of the mask material. Visualize spraying a garden hose through a chain link fence, the water is the virus and the fence is your mask. 
Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

But, what if:

Guy A pees on his pants.

Guy A touches pants.

Guy A touches his pants.

Guy A washes his hands

Guy A touches something else.

Guy B touches whatever Guy A touched.

Guy B has no problems, either from being directly peed on, or from whatever Guy A touched

Now I'm not saying we should not wear pants.

I am saying masks are pretty useless. We should wash our hands a lot and keep as much distance from others as we can.

35 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

A doctor friend told my wife and I that depending on a mask (homemade and most of those available to the public) to stop/contain a virus is like trying different underwear fabrics to stop a fart. :blink:

Everything is about the viruses relative molecule size and porosity of the mask material. Visualize spraying a garden hose through a chain link fence, the water is the virus and the fence is your mask. 
Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

From the article and linked study, it seems the scientists tend to disagree. I have several doctor friends and others in the medical and science fields who would disagree.

Research shows that even a cotton mask dramatically reduces the number of virus particles emitted from our mouths—by as much as 99 percent. This reduction provides two huge benefits. Fewer virus particles mean that people have a better chance of avoiding infection, and if they are infected, the lower viral-exposure load may give them a better chance of contracting only a mild illness.

So, instead of thinking of it as a chain link fence, maybe look at it as a wooden privacy fence. Yes, a bit of water gets through and gets you damp, but you don't get as soaked, and that can make all the difference on whether you need to go change clothes or not.

What happens if guy A is talking to gal B and gal B pees on her pants should guy A touch gal B's pants? :ph34r:

52 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

What I am learning from the Medical Profession, is that  they still have a lot to learn about COVID-19. 

Agreed, but the research is starting to bear fruit.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

From the article and linked study, it seems the scientists tend to disagree. I have several doctor friends and others in the medical and science fields who would disagree

STOP!!  Discussion closed!!

The data obtained from CNN, NPR, the internet, statistical, or other sources has been OFFICIALLY prefaced with "studies show that..."!! Therefore, the information is absolute, undeniable, and pure truth!!

IN ADDITION, it is backed up by Housefly Logic: 5 trillion houseflies can't possibly be wrong!

Forget 150 years of antiquated scientific study of diseases!!  Abandon the 30 to 60 years of science classes you may have personally taken, or NBC Training you recieved in the service!

Doc's guru has spoken, and has the study to make it true, (and make people FEEL GOOD about doing something stupid.)

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

What I am learning from the Medical Profession, is that  they still have a lot to learn about COVID-19. 

Tell me something they don’t have a lot to learn about. ;)

Nevertheless, they’ve learnt more than me. 

To me it's fairly simple: mask wearing does no harm.

I wear one when I go into any business establishment, whether they require one or not. I don't wear one when I'm out in the open, on a walk, on a bike, in a parks, etc., because there are no distancing issues.

It's obvious that the ingress/egress distinction is real and you don't need a host of studies to so conclude. In my own case, I'm a 72-year-old man disinclined to get into an uproar about it; wear it indoors in commercial establishments and help get it over with. If it cannot do harm in such circumstances, one should do it whatever the endless arguments and 'studies'.

25 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Which is?

That this is not a virus to be discounted. I will leave it at that, since it appears from @Palouse's response, to go further would only create further discord. As I believe you, along with most others know, I try to be reasonable and thoughtful in my responses, and try to understand the science to the best of my ability. I've tended to remain quiet on this topic here throughout, for a number of reasons. I now regret that lapse.

Take care and stay safe, everyone.

Just now, DocWard said:

That this is not a virus to be discounted. I will leave it at that, since it appears from @Palouse's response, to go further would only create further discord. As I believe you, along with most others know, I try to be reasonable and thoughtful in my responses, and try to understand the science to the best of my ability. I've tended to remain quiet on this topic here throughout, for a number of reasons. I now regret that lapse.

My apologies if I have offended you.

We can agree to disagree and we can both be right.

My opinion is that outside of a health care facility the forced wearing of masks should not happen.

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I feel your pain and don't understand the resentment of some folks on this subject.

My bank has a sign on the front door(illustrated with pictures).  If you come in wearing a covid mask, with your hat pulled down to your black sunglasses.  Don't be surprised if we react poorly.

The wearing of a mask and distancing is a temporary inconvenience.  Death is permanent.  Stupidity cannot be cured either.  Except by death.

PLUS ONE DocWard.  PLUS ONE.

Bandanas  they are not just for Robbing banks anymore

I love the single drivers wearing a mask in their car 

smokers hack it great for clearing the way at walmart 

I’ll continue to wear a mask in public and remain at home as much as possible. What do I have to loose doing that. On the other hand......

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I'm wearing a mask and keeping three feet away from the screen as I read this post because I don't trust none of youse guys to keep three feet away from your screens!

I just accidentally licked mine. Sorry.

Not sure why such sarcasm as called for in a relatively serious discussion. But there are a lot of things I'm not sure of.

Common sense says the only way to not catch the virus is to self isolate. I have no problem with that.  Many family and friends currently staying alive doing so.

Common sense says that poorly fitting face masks to do not protect yourself or others from a virus.  I am all for all food-handlers at restaurants be required to wear a mask to keep them from spreading BACTERIA to restaurant guests, but not applicable here.

I object to being treated like a child needing a blanket to hold onto during a lightening storm. I object to our government officials, and the reports tasked with keeping them honest, pushing various useless "blankets" on the public.  THEN insisting the others shame those educated well enough to point out the ridiculous nature of the "protection".  Add in complete SILENCE on forensic analysis of any of the early outbreaks, and it all reads of nanny-state more worried about panic than education.

If you want a mask, ask Utah Bob to show you his M16A1 protective mask.  That will help keep virus out of your lungs, eyes and ears. Not much help for virus on your clothes.  You are washing your hands every 15 minutes, are you changing clothes in a sterile environment every 15 minutes?

Remember?  Not even enough time for children to kiss their backsides "goodbye"?  Back to The Future:

Bert the Turtle says Duck and Cover" (c.1950)

Masks don't impede "viruses" directly, obviously. They impede the broadcast of many droplets which contain viruses. Also obviously. It matters little if cloth doesn't filter free viruses, as long as it filters some virus-containing fluids.

No harm may come from not wearing a mask indoors at a business, or harm may come. But wearing the mask involves no harm whatsoever. So the so-called 'controversy' doesn't really matter.

I just came home from the VA clinic where I was told I wouldn't be allowed to fo onto the premises without a mask.  I didn't have one so the guy at the gate wearing a mask but no gloves pulled one out of a pile in a desk drawer and handed it to me.  No packaging, not disinfecting, no damned gloves, just handed me a mask.....and I'm supposed to take all this BS seriously?!

10 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

this cartoon is the best explanation I have seen yet...  I have shared it with my coworkers, to the displeasure of HR.  HR seems to feel that bodily functions should  not be discussed in the workplace...  :blink:

FB_IMG_1588288114903.thumb.jpg.44831052cdcb9c85b0bfe300d25156b9.jpg

Now that is putting it into perspective

For some folks, wearing a mask is just being overcautious. Likely, most of those folks also look for traffic before crossing the street, even if they don't hear a car coming toward them.

For some folks, masks have become more of a symbol than anything else -- a way to demonstrate either disdain, distrust, or defiance of the government and/or of medical professionals whose knowledge of the virus evolved instead of being 100% spot on from the outset.

For people who are against wearing a mask, however much there is to be gained from wearing a mask is overshadowed by the message conveyed through not wearing one, and it's not likely anything short of experiencing a personal tragedy would change their minds.

ETA: And maybe a year or so from now, the people who were against wearing masks will be able to point back and laugh at the ones who did and say, 'See, told ya so.' Hopefully they're right, because otherwise some folks might not be here for that to happen.

19 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Those who ego allows it will tell you it is the PRACTICE of medicine, because we are always learning. Those who know all about medicine are the ones to avoid.

COVID-19 has been hard to control partly because people can infect others before they themselves display any symptoms—and even if they never develop any illness. Three recent studies show that nearly half of patients are infected by people who aren’t coughing or sneezing yet.

This is why the virus cannot be contained, and IMHO why lock downs are rash.

p07jstr1.jpg

13 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Masks don't impede "viruses" directly, obviously. They impede the broadcast of many droplets which contain viruses. Also obviously. It matters little if cloth doesn't filter free viruses, as long as it filters some virus-containing fluids.

No harm may come from not wearing a mask indoors at a business, or harm may come. But wearing the mask involves no harm whatsoever. So the so-called 'controversy' doesn't really matter.

This.

kR

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

COVID-19 has been hard to control partly because people can infect others before they themselves display any symptoms—and even if they never develop any illness. Three recent studies show that nearly half of patients are infected by people who aren’t coughing or sneezing yet.

This is why the virus cannot be contained, and IMHO why lock downs are rash.

p07jstr1.jpg

That’s cool — your quote just made a sound argument for why you should wear a mask, even if you think you’re ‘not sick’.

Archived