SASS Wire Forum

No editors anymore?

Dantankerous

Every week I see simple grammar errors in online news that could easily be prevented if somebody with half a brain proofread this stuff before it went to digital print. Here is yet another great example from a local online news source.  I should have been keeping all my screenshots to make a book. I can generate several of these examples every week. My chuckle has turned into a laugh. Sad.

Screenshot_20200514-075541_Firefox.jpg

20200514_075628.jpg

Part of the new normal. If you mention someone’s spelling or grammar errors online anymore it’s like you called them the N word or something. 

Jay Leno had a segment on his show called "Headlines". That was all newspapers, so it's been going on for a long time! Editors don't edit very good!

+1

I have gotten really sensitive to listening many folks on TV starting every sentence with the word "So" ....

Mr X ... how old are you ... "Sooooo ... this June I will be 28."

What kind of dog do you have Mr X ... "Soooooooo ... my dog Rex is mixed breed."

Sooooooo ... are we there yet?? :mellow:

11 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

+1

I have gotten really sensitive to listening many folks on TV starting every sentence with the word "So" ....

What kind of dog do you have Mr X ... "Soooooooo ... my dog Rex is mixed breed."

Sooooo is the new uhm. :D

CJ

Sooooooo... seems to be the new Valley Girl speak.

Could not stand it in the '80s neither. ;)

Like, you know...

Like, like, like...

Del Tackett is a Christian minister who does video / book bible studies for youth groups, etc.  You watch the video, read a section of the book, and then talk about it in small groups. 

In one of his studies, he shows the dumbing down of the American education system over the last century.  100 years ago, students were required to have a pretty solid foundation in Latin just to graduate from high school.  Now we have professional journalists -- WRITERS -- who do not know the difference between "it's" and "its."  

The funny thing is, I found two other errors before the one you highlighted.  Egad.  

Poor grammar is one thing, but the abysmal quality of reporting is another, at least what I see here in much of the media here in Canada.

It's bad. In fact our Prime Minister banned one group (The Rebel) who asks tough or challenging questions, instead of the softball, pre-screened ones at his briefings.

Working reporters seem to have become a dying breed. Instead, much of the current flock seem to hang around the offices and rely on the well crafted hand-outs to file their daily quota of "News".

In too many cases, if you were there and know what is going on, you are left scratching your head, wondering if the tale they have spun is the same one you witnessed.

If you try to ensure the reporter is getting it accurately, they become resentful and may walk away, claiming they don't have time.

Don't have time to get it correctly?

Wow.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

+1

So, do you prefer "therefore?" ;)

Here's your grammar lesson of the day courtesy of you very own Ivy League (Dartmouth College);), "GRAMMATICAL" errors!!!  :-):):wub:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Editors don't edit very good!

Well.

Editors don’t edit very well.

B)

4 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Well.

Editors don’t edit very well.

B)

Now you know why I'm not an editor!!:lol:

10 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The funny thing is, I found two other errors before the one you highlighted.  Egad

Was one of them EVER SINCE?

My ear for speech (trained in southern dialect) says that is correct, but my brain says, "I don't think so".

"...they only got so many people..." Obviously a mistake, but it is a quote so you should not change it. I believe the reporter should have wrote WRITTEN, "...they only got (sic) so many...", so the readers would realize did THAT the reporter did not use the term incorrectly, but instead quoted someone that used the term incorrectly.

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Part of the new normal. If you mention someone’s spelling or grammar errors online anymore it’s like you called them the N word or something. 

I would never embarrass someone by pointing out mistakes in spelling or grammar in public. That is just plain rude.

In this time speed is more important. If you're not first to get a story out, you're last. First wins. Last fades away.

32 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

So, like, whatever

Imis

Just sayin

15 hours ago, Cholla said:

In this time speed is more important. If you're not first to get a story out, you're last. First wins. Last fades away.

“Second place is just the first loser.”

Dale Earnhardt

Or Reese Bobby :) 

Archived