SASS Wire Forum

Any experts on the Colt Lightning Revolver?

I have some simple questions about the Colt Lightning, the revolver, not the rifle.

I have two of them, one was made in the 1880's and the other was made in the 1900's.  The older one has the larger .375" bore, and the newer one has the .357" bore.  I deal with this by shooting .358" pure lead hollow base bullets, and this gives me good accuracy in both guns.   I have heard it said that Colt, unlike the Peacemaker, never okayed the Lightning for use with smokeless powder.  Which is all fine and good, as I have never run smokeless in either gun, but I am curious to know if it is safe to use it in the newer gun.   

Both guns are in excellent mechanical condition and are nice shooters.   I don't shoot them often, partly because there isn't really a place for them in our game.   [Only one of them is pocket pistol legal, and I don't get to many of those.]

You might want to ask this on the Colt forums (coltforum.com) Sal Lanara frequents the forum and is the expert on the Colt Lightning pistol.

Archived