SASS Wire Forum

Soldiers of the Queen

Trigger Mike

I watched Breaker Morant the other day and the song Soldiers of the Queen was in it.  I liked the tune so I looked up the lyrics.  

There is a line about how "we've always won".  This song was written in the late 1800s.  Well after Lexington and Concord.   Well after the Battle of New Orleans and the corresponding wars those battles were in.  Seems like i read somewhere that Britain didn't win those two wars.   Hmmm.

8 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I watched Breaker Morant the other day and the song Soldiers of the Queen was in it.  I liked the tune so I looked up the lyrics.  

There is a line about how "we've always won".  This song was written in the late 1800s.  Well after Lexington and Concord.   Well after the Battle of New Orleans and the corresponding wars those battles were in.  Seems like i read somewhere that Britain didn't win those two wars.   Hmmm.

I interact with British soldiers and RAF regularly.  They are taught -- and believe -- that the War of 1812 was just another theater in their war against Napoleon, and that we were allied with Napoleon.  No such alliance existed.  In fact, this is counter to President Madison's overt claim that we despised Napoleon on principle, as we had fought to overturn the idea of nobility in our country and imperial government ruled by brute strength.  Madison asserted (as did members of Congress) that his request for a declaration of war against Great Britain was independent of the war Great Britain was undertaking against Napoleon.  Madison was careful to proclaim this rather loudly to avoid any other European power declaring war against us as they fought off Napoleon.  

These same Brits also claim to have won said war -- again, couch it under a war against Napoleonic imperialism and it sort of makes sense, since Napoleon was defeated.  However, from the American perspective it was a separate war altogether, and rooted in British transgressions against our people.  

As to the Revolutionary War, I'm not sure how they can defend "not losing" that one.  The Treaty of Paris (1783) pretty much outlined it.  

16 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

As to the Revolutionary War, I'm not sure how they can defend "not losing" that one.  The Treaty of Paris (1783) pretty much outlined it.  

They would say, “Didn’t lose, old boy. Simply got tired of you colonials and went home”. :lol::rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

These same Brits also claim to have won said war -- again, couch it under a war against Napoleonic imperialism and it sort of makes sense, since Napoleon was defeated.  However, from the American perspective it was a separate war altogether, and rooted in British transgressions against our people.  

And our desire for Canada.............

Archived