SASS Wire Forum

38-55 Loading Press & Dies

Two Shoots

Howdy Pards!

What kind of loading press and dies work best for 38-55?  Can these be loaded on a Dillon 650?  I've seen die sets that include an "expander" die, but I can't see how that would work on the 650 tool head.  Wondering if a manual turret press would be better suited.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

You should be aware that there have been two different bore sizes and two different cartridge lengths used for the 38-55. The chamber cast is a good suggestion and you should slug the bore.

Lucky

What do you load on now for your other cartridges? 38-55 can be loaded on most any press that does rifle length cartridges. There is no "best".

52 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

What do you load on now for your other cartridges? 38-55 can be loaded on most any press that does rifle length cartridges. There is no "best".

I have a Dillon XL-650, so no place for an expander die.  Hoping the Dillon powder funnel for 38-55 would flare the case enough that the expander die would be unnecessary.

The Dillon powder funnel IS the expander die on a 550 and 650.

26 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

The Dillon powder funnel IS the expander die on a 550 and 650.

Got it!  Thanks!

I load my 38-55 on a Dillon 550.  I have to watch the case as it enders the expander die.  if its just a tad off-center it will wrinkle the case mouth.  I think the kength of the case has somethig to do wiht it, it is not held pefectly rigid in the shell plate.  I've comsidered taking the expander to a machine shop and geting them to take a tad off, make it easier to enter the case mouth  

By a tad off I hope you mean they will chamfer the end more, because just shortening it will not help. And you don't need a machine shot for that, a grinder will work just fine. Just make sure you file and polish the ground area or you might scratch the inside of the brass, creating a weak spot.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

By a tad off I hope you mean they will chamfer the end more, because just shortening it will not help. And you don't need a machine shot for that, a grinder will work just fine. Just make sure you file and polish the ground area or you might scratch the inside of the brass, creating a weak spot.

Yes, chamfer the end a bit. 

Powder charge with a classic Herters 65  with Lee Dies on  Lee 3 hole turret. If needed, custom TOTW sized compression plugs for expanders 

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

I load my 38-55 on a Dillon 550.  I have to watch the case as it enders the expander die.  if its just a tad off-center it will wrinkle the case mouth.  I think the kength of the case has somethig to do wiht it, it is not held pefectly rigid in the shell plate.  I've comsidered taking the expander to a machine shop and geting them to take a tad off, make it easier to enter the case mouth  

That's the problem I had and wrecked too many pieces of brass when brass was hard to find. I switched over to a Lyman T Mag and it works great.

Use RCBS 38-55 cowboy dies The cowboys are made for lead bullet. I use a Honrady lock and load AP to prim the case and to flare.  then a RCBS power dispenser and a single stags press.  if you need a great cartridge stay away from a Dillon

I have used my Dillon 550, my LEE turret and a RCBS RockChucker single stage to load 38-55. All of them will do a fine job for normal SASS loads if you take your time and be careful. If you are into precision long range it will take much more effort. All depends on what your goals are.

I load one of my .33-55s in the longer cases with bullets that Mic. .3805 .... And the other needs bullets Sized to .378 in the shorter cases ....

Both use the same powder charges , and primers ... The First Gun was Made in 1895 and the other was made in 1980, both are 94 Winchesters .

I load them on a Lyman T Mag press ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived