SASS Wire Forum

I have a question about my watch

Alpo

IMG_20200513_061535.thumb.jpg.39568230ce4be034b2040b048ee0b909.jpg

How do you set it?

I have not carried it for over ten years. Pulled it out of the desk drawer the other day. Wound it two or three turns. Nothing. Tapped the back. The second hand started moving. Ran for about 3 hours. For as little as I wound it, that was fine.

I assumed that it was set up by pulling the stem out. The stem did not feel like it wished to move. I did not apply more force, as I was not absolutely positive that was how it was set, and did not wish to break it.

Is pulling the stem out the correct way, or is there something else that needs to be done?

If pulling the stem out is correct, I shall take it to a watch repair place for cleaning, because they're THERE is probably crud holding the stem down.

Both of mine (Hamilton & Illinois) and lever set. The crystal un screws and there is a lever that is lifted out and the stem is twisted to reset the time.

There are a few sellers on ebay that back their watches.  If you should run into a situation where repair cost is prohibitive you might find it cheaper to find a decent Hamilton or Elgin in running condition  thats been serviced and backed by the seller.  Not necessarily belittling Waltham or others but parts are getting pretty scarce and people who know how to work on them are scarcer.  

Alpo - Our local pocket watch expert is Walker Colt, who is also the top gun in my area (WV, VA, MD). I'll PM you with his email address and  suggest you contact him as he collects and I believe repairs pocket watches. He donates one to CASS each year for the WV Appalachian Showdown WV State CAS Championship. 

Just tried sending you a PM and got a note that you cannot receive messages, huh?

2 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Just tried sending you a PM and got a note that you cannot receive messages, huh?

I just looked and it says I have used 102% of storage.

I reckon I need to clean out some of the old messages.

Pat, you da man. 733922935_smiliethumbsup.gif.3f1f10f04abb2d42b5e913dc0d483381.gif

Was reading this, from your link.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/how-to-set-the-time-on-a-waltham-riverside-pocket-watch.10209/

People suggested leverset, and he said he didn't see no lever, so they said pull the stem, and he said "it don't move, how hard should I pull it", and someone suggested:

It is something you develop a feel for. Some pendants are pretty stiff. Often, it will pull out a little easier if you give it a slight twist while pulling.

And the response was

Thank you very much Tom. the twisting worked and i have just managed to set the time !

So I gave that a try. Twisting it a little bit like I was winding it while I was pulling.

Success!! :)

Howdy,

Excellent.  My Elgin pulls hard and a slight twist may make the difference.

If the watch pretty much works but you think it could need lubrication.

My uncle had a little trick for lubricating watches.

First you need to open up the back so you can see the works.

If you cant or don't want to try opening the watch stop here.

Take a little Remington gun oil and put it in a bottle cap. Just a few drops.

Put the cap open side up next to the watch also open side up.

Put them in a window where they will get bright sun.

Cover them with a clear glass dish or jar.

The oil will evaporate in the sun and condense on the watch metal parts.

Leave this alone for five days or so.

Don't move it Don't take off the glass cover. Just leave it alone.

If there is a rainy day or cloudy day just don't count that in the five.

Leave it alone.

After five or six days take the glass cover off and close up the watch.

Try setting and winding it.

If it makes a little difference this can be repeated.

This will not hurt your watch. And just might be all it needs.

If it works remember to send me fifty bucks.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Check to see if the bezel around the crystal unscrews.  If it does, there should be a lever on the side.  Pull the lever out and you can set the watch.

Here's my great grandfathers.

w.jpg

w1.jpg

3 hours ago, Arkie Lee said:

Here's my great grandfathers.

w.jpg

w1.jpg

I have a lever set 1886 Hampton. You don’t have to unscrew the crystal. It was at the repair shop when I left home in February. Then the plague hit. Hopefully I’ll get it back some day. :(

Archived